Training regime - Punch bag work

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jonny36, Mar 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I train one day running and the next in the gym.

My gym work comprises of weights which I have done for years but only recently scaled down to concentrate more on loosing weight and increasing my fitness.

I have recently started bag work but although I haver a decent jab, jab & right hook routine I can't really get a good hard cardio routine together.

Any ideas from the boxers amongst you?

Plus I am the only person ever in the boxing gym at the moment so I have no routines to copy.
  2. If you are just training for fitness then keep it pretty basic. Rounds of 2-3 minutes with a minutes rest, keep your combinations simple, Double jab right cross and one two's, with the odd hook and uppercut. Try skipping and shadow boxing too for a bit of variety.
  3. Try working the bag into a circuits set for example:

Beat the bag as hard as you can for 1 minute

30 seconds rest

Knees to chest 1 minute

30 secs rest

Skipping 1 minute

30 secs rest

1 minute press ups

1 minute rest

This comprises one set, repeat this X10 sets and you will be hanging, you can swap around the exercises depending on what you want to work on. I find one really good station on the circuit is a 20 m sprints with a down and up at each turn around ( go prone on the floor and then get back up again without your knees touching the floor) try and do twenty shuttles before moving on to the next activity.

This is a really high intensity programme, the key to it is keep the intensity right up you should be about 8-10 on RPE (i.e. hanging) but it will get you fit!
  4. as above keep as simple as you can

get a combination such as jab,right cross, left hook, then do it as may times as you can in a minute, collapse to the floor breathing like a dirty phone call then get up and do an other min of double jab right cross ect and repeat
  5. I do bag work of 3 minute rounds with 30 seconds rest usually. I have done 30 minutes continusally on it before, obvisouly not full out though. Heres a regime I do

3 minute rounds with 30 seconds rest x 5-10
    10-20 minutes rowing
    1 minute flat out on bag

I don't use my bag often and usually only use it as a warmup prior to circuits. But if you train with dertermination on the bag you will ceartinley be left hanging.
  6. Back from the gym

3 min rounds with 30 sec intervals.

will try other routines mentioned above.

the best thing is now I have found that I am hitting the bag harder as my wrists are getting more use to hitting the bag.

also working on the combinations, quite a lot of stuff on you

7. Try kicking the bag; round kick, front kick and side kick. Kicking takes more effort than punching, and it will also help make your bag-work less boring.
  8. For a boxing only workout try....
    3 mins -Jab, cross, hook
    30 secs rest
    3 mins - jab, hook, uppercut
    30 secs rest
    3 mins close in work ..elbows, bolo punch, low hooks etc.
    30 secs rest
    3 mins - heavy punching anything you want but really go for it, use a bit of visulisation, make every punch as powerful and fast as you can.
    30 secs rest.
    Finish off as many pressups as possible, then start again if you want/can.

Swop from orthodox to southpaw during the 3 minute rounds.
    Invest in a good pair of bag gloves and wraps if your doing heavy bag work
  9. You really need to get yourself a girlfriend

she can cook your tea once you finish pummeling her its great
  10. Don't use the rowing machine unless you are an oarsman. Chances are you wont know how to use it and it'll really mess your back up.