Training question

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by AA_09, Aug 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone

I'm currently in the process of getting 'Army fit', I'm 17 and planning on applying to be an officer next year (before university). I'm pretty fit already, and recently I've been following this training schedule (or there abouts):

Monday: Weights session for upper body (plus press-ups)
    Tuesday: Aerobic exercise focusing mainly on legs and abdomen, including running, star jumps, leg calisthenics etc.

And this repeats, sometimes I switch running for cycling and I'll change the distances and gradients on which I run and cycle (I live in a very hilly area!).

Does this sound okay? Or should I be doing aerobics on the same day as the weights, and then give myself a full rest day? Or would it be too much for one day?

Any help/tips would be appreciated, thanks!

2. You need a rest day somewhere

3. Alright thanks mate, I'm just struggling to find a place to put it/them... Would you define a rest day as absolutely no demanding physicak activity whatsoever? Would it be okay to run, star jumps (but cut down on the amount I usually do), calisthenics (again, less) and weights, and then on my 'rest day' just do sit-ups?

4. what would you think the term 'rest day' means?

5. I'm stuck for words to reply to this. Most people have problems fitting in time to do training, but you have problems fitting in the time NOT to do training?

6. Okay, sorry maybe I worded that incorrectly. Because I'm doing both weight training and general fitness training, I was unsure of whether to do them on the same day. Hence why at the moment I'm doing weights one day, and aerobic fitness on the next day. It's not like I train every minute of every day, I was just asking whether I should do weights and aerobics on the same day, and then have a rest day following that.

Oh and theoriginalphantom, please don't speak to me like I'm stupid. I didn't come here to be patronised, I understand perfectly what a 'rest day' means, I was simply wondering could I do some sit-ups on that 'rest day' without any adverse effects.

7. Rest day means no strenuous physical activity

Do your washing, scratch your nadgers and study your regimental history, or watch telly.

8. Or go out on the pull! What's wrong with the kids nowadays?!?!?

9. Bless, someone is tired and emotional.

BTW I didn't speak to you, I typed. I believe that speaking involves verbal communication.

10. Toppers, that's you told. Shall I google the number for the Samaritans in case you want to top yourself?

I could see the headlines now though:

"Nasty abusive Squaddie dies though inhalation of own farts and ginger dog smell"

11. If you are fit enough to do both on the same day and have the time, then do so. if not then don't. As has already been said you need to fit a rest day into your routine. Where you put it is your choice but one day in 7 sounds reasonable at the level you seem to be training.

12. Hows about 3 weights sessions a week, split routine on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and 3 CV sessions on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays with a whole day off to get fat and feel your balls on a Sunday? Or if you want the whole weekend off to get smashed as I would, fit your third CV session in on one of your weight training days leaving Saturday free. Or if you want to be Super. Army. Soldier. you could run everyday Monday to Friday and become a phys monster. And I wouldn't bother too much with the cycling, maybe once a week for variety, no ones gonna put a pack on your back during PT and tell you to cycle 8 miles.
    Or do what you want, doesnt affect me.

13. For those of you who gave me real and helpful advice, thanks a lot.

Theoriginalphantom, I just find it funny how you have to resort to being pedantic to divert away from my points, instead of actually addressing them. I'm certainly not tired or emotional, I just felt that what you said was a bit uneccessary. If you've got nothing better to do than be sarcastic to people over the internet then I pity you.

14. LOL, thanks a lot mate, that really helped. I appreciate it.

15. Thats the problem with text. You cant always tell what the user means by it. Looked genuine to me.

DO you really find it funny? 8O