Training Program

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ITMatt, Feb 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on my current training program.

It basically consists of getting up a 0430, having a snack consisting of protein shake and fruit, following an hour later with a 30 minute resistance circuit (pull-ups, press-ups, dumb bells, etc) and 30-40 minute run (Fartlek, interval, steady and hill sprints).

This I try to do 4-6 times per week.

My concern is in regards to the timing of my training. With it being in the early morning, there is little in the way of preparation or nutrition, so I feel that I may not be getting the best out of my training.

Is training in the early morning detrimental to my progress?
    How does the training seem for someone going for REME/RS?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2. Well... It really depends on the type of person you are Matt and what is better for YOU, some may prefer morning training, others prefer evening training.

Personally, I like running at 6:00AM for one hour and when I start an evening training session I find it actually improves my efficiency. In terms of nutrition, obviously you know that you must not each shite ;)

Make sure you get a decent meal with protein and carbs night before, even a very small snack 30 mins before training, obviously not too much as you need the blood flow to your muscles and not your digestive system.

also, don't forget that all important nutritious meal / protein shake after your training to help repair.

there is really no magic time for training, it all depends on your body and the way you feel at the time, try different times and find out what works best.

remember: improvements are gained through rest, so don't overtrain!

[edit]

have alook at http://hubpages.com/profile/Shannon+Clark , I read her blog quite often which has some really good tips on training and nutrition.

3. You sound a little too keen Matt. Unless you're crashing out very early, getting up at 04.30 is a little extreme. Your daily training regime only seems to take an hour, why the early start?

4. Thanks, UberSoldat - that's some excellent advice, and I like the link.

sandmanfez, unfortunately, I tend to be on the early shift at work (to perform Server ops), which starts at 0730, so it's quite difficult fitting in a workout and shower in the morning. I know if I workout in the evening, I am more likely to put it off.

I was reading that it is better to train in the evening, due to your body temperature being just right and the built up nutrition from the day helping you perform at your best, thus allowing you to exert yourself more.

I want to maximize my performance over the next few weeks, which is why I ask this question.

5. Agree with some/most of this.

Getting up that early is pretty extreme, if you have the motivation to do that, surely you have the motivation to train in the evening? Either way, doesn't really matter, just ensure you get the carbs in before and after training so hard and keep calories up and get the sleep in to make sure you repair and recover.