Training over the next year

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by StabOfFire, Jan 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As this is a rumour service I thought I might as well start stirring, heard this on the grapevine last night:

-Those who are not fit for mobilisation = binned
    -Those who are fit, but haven't volunteered for next op tour = unpaid training
    -Those who are fit and have volunteered for next tour = paid training

Anyone else heard the same?

2. Not heard that one .... heard 2 night 1 weekend might be a possibilty however crack on as normal until told otherwise ... so we'll see ..

3. Well, i've heard it now... it won't happen though.

If they binned the unfit (by that I mean PFT failures) our numbers would drop to about 70% of where we are now. If they also didn't pay those who hadn't volunteered for next tour (assuming this was ongoing and permanent rather than a temporary 6 month hiatus as per previous budget cut) then I reckon we'd be down to 20% in fairly short order, and that would dwindle lower and lower as low attendance impacted on training.

My 2c.

4. 2 and 3 above are the regime we're working under now. Two drill nights paid a month covering COE stuff and two unpaid, no travel, as socials. Latter are no use to me, costs me £20 to get there, I can walk to the pub.

We've already had a major binning exercise and have been recruiting hard with the message - "You WILL be going on H14" my name's down (as long as my ancient body doesn't fall apart in the meantime...)

Had a brief on "Geography and culture of Afghanistan" last week. Felt like things were really picking up.

5. It all depends on your role though doesnt it.

We have to look at the big picture its not all overseas ops you know.

We were told last parade night that non attenders would get a gypsies then after 2 more warnings a visit from the QM and the bailiffs.

We also need to pass 2 pft's a year, things are changing, and for the better.

6. Really, being in the same Bn as you.....who said all of this?
    Who gave the Afghan brief....
    Please answer by pm.

7. Great Rumours! :D

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Try looking up Op ENTIRETY - there are some very grown up people in the army who believe that it is.

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I've corrected it for you. If your C of C are not applying it like that, they have got it wrong.

10. so what happens if there are no tours for your unit?? does that mean the whole unit will go unpaid?

:)

11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It will depend on what budget your Bde has left after it has supported those preparing to deploy on Op HERRICK 12, 13 or 14. Don't kid yourself that the revocation of the £20m cut means riches for all - it doesn't.

The new budget for Trg year 2010 - 2011 is not likely to allow for a full return to paid training for everyone/everything either.

12. What a load of bollocks! There are plenty of UK Ops roled units that won't deploy as they are UK Ops and therefore required in the UK, I'm included in that, still getting paid, still doing the same amount of training as always.

Best thing to do is await confirmation at the end of the training year as to what your unit will be doing throughout the next.

13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Which in the case of UK Ops Only roled units may well include a roll change (at best) :wink:

14. Haha, yeah right! As it stands, units only allow a certain amount of their strength to deploy at any one time due to this role. Since we got obliterated in the cuts last summer, it's now even harder to get out. I requested my third tour and got told that I can't go out again as I'm required for UK Ops.

15. The days as were will change, more will be expected for less,and as others have correctly alluded the shift will be toward getting bodies though the door, though initial training, away on Ops and out the door. War fighting on the cheap if you will,just pray you dont get wounded.