Training legs for hills

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dave_88, Nov 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, got basic in three months and from what i hear, there is alot of running up and down hills there. Now I hear this puts alot of pressure on your shins, but there are no hills round here for miles so I can only run on flat surfaces. Are there any exercises out there, that can work my legs just like hill running does so I dont struggle at basic. Thanks.

2. There must be surely "a hill" somewhere, if there is reps up that. If there really are no hills at all you could try step ups on your stairs.

However, hill training, step ups are quite a ballistic way of training and there is a high risk of injury. Keep to running on the flat, basic trg is progressive so the hills will come as you progress through the sylabus.

3. Power walking, walk as fast as you can, on the flat and you will feel a burning in your shins, that's the lactic acid in the muscles. A similar feeling when you run uphill.

4. I agree with Mag_to_grid the place where you live has to have 1 hill use it! out of intrest where is this flat land you come from? if you can't find a single hill just stick to what you know run on flat, the power walking sounds gay but that works good too also not much room for injury with walking, i'd suggest doing it in a decent pair of boots to get your feet used to the tabbing at basic then you won't be droping out with blisters all the time like a bitch :)

5. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

If you're out in the flatlands of Lincs or East Anglia you'll have to improvise. Stairwells in a block of flats or a multi-storey car park will do for a once a week session. Cycling is also used by fell runners to develop leg strength, keep the gearing so you have to push harder than you'd like to.

6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Most gyms/ leisure centres have treadmills, they can go up to 15 degrees.
    Not overly steep as hills go but enough to let you train, as you can do a few miles at that gradient.

edited to add. The only fecking flat ground here is either mudflats or bog, so count yourself lucky.

7. No need to do any hill running. It's your cardiovascular fitness that counts in basic training. If you were on SAS selection then hill work would be advised.