Training for the reserves

hammerhead

Clanker
So I was just wondering a soldier trains for 26 weeks correct? And a reserve infantryman trains for 9 weekends plus 2 weeks at catterick correct? So why do they say that reserves and regulars are trained up exactly the same?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Lets be honest, it doesn't actually take 26 weeks to train an idiot to run around, shout and shoot a gun. The Army just like to pad it out a bit.

9 weekends plus 2 weeks sounds about right.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Lets be honest, it doesn't actually take 26 weeks to train an idiot to run around, shout and shoot a gun. The Army just like to pad it out a bit.

9 weekends plus 2 weeks sounds about right.

How long is matelot basic, Ravers?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How long is matelot basic, Ravers?

It's 10 weeks, but the vast majority of that is learning important sailor shit like tying knots, driving ships and putting out fires.

The bit where you learn to run around and shoot guns is a week, dabbers get an extra week learning some ROE stuff and how to use a baton.

So it takes a matelot 2 weeks to reach pretty much exactly the same standard as an infantry soldier, but one does have to consider that we're considerably more intelligent than you ditch ratings.

And it's harder for us, try shooting straight when the ship is rocking all over the shop.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And if you ******* don't believe me, just look at the Royal Naval Division in WW1. Proof surely that matelots can do your job with absolutely no qualms.

You don't see it working the other way round. Put a pongo on a ship and he'll throw up everywhere, crimp in the mess square and wake up with one eyebrow.

So I was just wondering a soldier trains for 26 weeks correct? And a reserve infantryman trains for 9 weekends plus 2 weeks at catterick correct? So why do they say that reserves and regulars are trained up exactly the same?
The 26 weeks takes in to account that extra time is needed to bring some individuals up to the standard required. The reserves are supposed to undertake continued physical training between weekends, and supplementary training on mil skills during midweek training nights. The reality is that many reservists do the bare minimum to get through and require much more training to bring them up to the standard required to deploy. Others find it piss easy, because it basically is piss easy.

I should think that a great many regular recruits also find the pace of training mind-numbingly slow.

2/51

LE
I read somewhere..and I really cannot remember where..that the average age of a reservist is higher and the average educational achievements are higher in the Reserves.

Generally speaking, you have to tell a 17 year old several times to do something, and they often need showing several times as well. Hopefully your average 25 year old who has been working for a few years and already has the day to day skills will pick things up quicker and respond better...or so the article went.

I certainly see this in my line of civvy work where the "young uns" come in and know it all whilst the older chaps take things in and will listen.

Latest Threads