Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Training for the Infantry

Hey people.

I'm getting a Transfer to the Infantry from RLC and i struggle to carry alot of weight on my back, i took part in the Cambrian march about a year ago and i didnt last long i'm not a big guy but ive seen people my size carry bergens with no problems and now transferring to the Infantry i need to carry alot more weight than i did before.

Is there anything i can do to stop the pain or stop it from getting painfull like exercising etc...

Thanks.

Assuming you are serious, do they not put you through any sort of test these days to see if you are capable of changing from storeman to soldier?

A few basic phys tests for example?

Surely they dont just allow a move like this without seeing if you are up to it?

Gren said:
Assuming you are serious, do they not put you through any sort of test these days to see if you are capable of changing from storeman to soldier?

A few basic phys tests for example?

Surely they dont just allow a move like this without seeing if you are up to it?

Yes i'm deadly serious, thing is i havnt attended my unit in about 8 months and ive had letters saying either have an interview with your C.O or reply saying you want a discharge so i went in last week and asked what i would be doing on Op Herrick and i didnt like it so i wanted a transfer to the Infantry i phoned them up asking about transferring and they asked me to go and see them so i'm at that stage now so i dont have a clue lol

welsh_lad14 said:
Hey people.

I'm getting a Transfer to the Infantry from RLC and i struggle to carry alot of weight on my back, i took part in the Cambrian march about a year ago and i didnt last long i'm not a big guy but ive seen people my size carry bergens with no problems and now transferring to the Infantry i need to carry alot more weight than i did before.

Is there anything i can do to stop the pain or stop it from getting painfull like exercising etc...

Thanks.

Laws of physics lad.

Reduce the weight on the front i.e RLC style super gut...

In all seriousness, load carrying is always going to be slightly uncomfortable if your doing it for a good distance and at a good pace, just gotta get used to it, get some miles under your belt by cracking one, once a week, or at the very least once a fortnight.

Big lads usually do well with load carries, but by big I don't mean cat funt, you still need to have a good set of lungs on you and a good stride.

You wanna be looking at a 15 minute mile pace or quicker. So if you really are dying start off on a 4 miler first week, 5 the next and so on.

You may want to start taping your feet up too, with Zinc Oxide tape in hot spots where blisters may occur. I know, an alien concept to you RLC ninjas but trust me you will reap the benefits.

Might be better to start at 10-15kg and work your way up. If you can manage an all-arms CFT, then start with 15kg/6mi/90min and work from there. If you can't, then drop load and work on distance first.

I'm in a similar position to yourself, transferring from signals to inf, and this worked for me, and I finished an 8mi/25kg CFT with no dramas Sunday.

Distance, then load. And if your name's anything to go by, get up into the Beacons/Snowdon and get amongst some hills as a part of the process...infantry don't just tab on flat concrete ;)

STOOOOOOOOP

Run without weghts as a priority. This should be your main exercise; frequent training with weight can cause problems.

Resume normal running...

usmarox said:
Might be better to start at 10-15kg and work your way up. If you can manage an all-arms CFT, then start with 15kg/6mi/90min and work from there. If you can't, then drop load and work on distance first.

I'm in a similar position to yourself, transferring from signals to inf, and this worked for me, and I finished an 8mi/25kg CFT with no dramas Sunday.

Distance, then load. And if your name's anything to go by, get up into the Beacons/Snowdon and get amongst some hills as a part of the process...infantry don't just tab on flat concrete ;)

Yeah when i done the all arms CFT i pissed through (dont want to sound cocky) lol

I dont live near the beacons and it's more or less flat ground where i live, i was part of the cambrian patrol team and that was a killer ended up getting injured someone shouted contact and i turned but my bergen carried on moving therfore i fell down a hill making a c@%t out of myself lol bad times, just want to prepare myself for the tough times ahead.

If it is just load you have a problem with, then just start doing 4-6 mile tabs with increasing weight over a period of weeks.

I know people who stuggle badly with CFT's (and have failed) and go on to say "****, I need to start running more" which won't actually help that much. Marching with weight on your back puts basically all of your body under pressure, and effects it in a very specific way.

If it is just a case of you having a weak back (and you pissed a AA CFT) then I either recommend either do the build up training, or pehaps go to your doctor and ask for some physiotherapy. If he is a good guy, he should be fine with that - if not, you can always just say you are straining to bend down or sit up or something :)

It's pretty simple really fella...Practice. Don't worry about time to start with, just get the weight in your Bergen and webbing. Get a fish scale from Tescos so you're in control of what you're doing.
Make sure weight is 22Kgs. This is basic weight you should carry for a CFT excluding rifle and helmet. Start off with 4 miles just walking, don't worry about time. Your back will soon get used to the weight but do as much as you can to begin with.

You will then need to build up on your Endurance by speeding up our pace (that's the hard bit if you have legs like mine) and increasing the distance. Never run! You will require to shuffle your feet on the quick march to make up for time. I wouldn't do too much of this in training as could mess yourself up. Look after your feet and learn how to tape them up properly if you need to.

22kgs is the minimal weight you will be required to carry. If you join a trade like Guns or Mortars you will be required to carry a part of that equipment on top, and it isn't light. Joining the infantry can make you or break you and whatever your decision is, stick at your fitness or you may end up with a shock. In reality or on some cardres you will be required to come into action after 8 miles. When you reach the correct build up of endurance, continue with building up more weight in preparation for your trade. For example, carrying a mortar barrel is an addition 13Kgs. ultimately, under the current climate you may go into an infantry type role in Afghanistan wearing Osprey body armour etc. also in unforgiving heat. Be prepared in what you are doing and best of Luck. Hope this helps

Build up your upper body strength too. Not to body builder proportions but strong enough enough to carry a bergan with weight without compromising your "form". Bench presses , lat pulldowns and seated rows. Deadlifts and lunges will help develop your lower body strength.

As an alternative you could use a bergan with weight in and do press-ups,pull-ups,pull-ups from a low hanging bar,squats, lunges and step ups. ( still include deadlifts with a bar-bell though)

Walk a four mile route at 15 mins per mile pace without weight. then begin building up weight. Once you hit the right weight increase the distance to six but just reduce the weight and build up again.Do the same again to reach 8 miles. once you get to this level you might want to add an interesting hill or two but drop the bergan weight and build up again

If you wish you could try increasing your speed to 14.5 per mile once you have hit 8 miles at your correct began weight.