Training for the bleep test

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Emkay, Dec 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am 6'2 tall and 16 and a half stone, largely due to the fact that I am a big build and like the weights area of my gym.

I am fairly good at running and can go several miles at a reasonable speed before I start to feel tired.

My main problem is the bleep test, simply put I start to 'feel it' at about level 8 after which I begin to struggle.

I have hit 10.2 before but I am currently topping out in the early 9s. The problem seems to be the slowing down and turning - I am like a supertanker!!!

Practicing the bleep test would be very difficult where I live. Is there any running machine or street running exercise that I could do which would broadly simulate the conditions of the bleep?

Pressups and situps are not a problem, as I can exceed the joining requirements by quite some distance.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
  2. The only way you can practice for the bleep test is wait for it.

Doing it. Not neccesarily the bleeps, normal running esp fartlek will sort that out. But turning.

I suffer the same problem. When ever I do the bleep test, I don't do anywhere near as well as the run on a BFT. Just practice turning. There is an art to it.

Pick a base line, run to it and turn. Keep practicing till awesome.
  3. I know the feeling, don't be scared of slowing down for the turns, keep the speed.
  4. Interval Running should probably boost your levels.
  5. As a Kiwi coach I once had always used to say when I asked him about running, etc: "Just Facking Run!!"

I would recommend some kind of Fartlek training, or maybe just a programme of agility training. You attend the gym, do you play sport? Ask an instructor (or a sports coach) about SAQ training: Speed Agility Quickness.

It will have you turning on a sixpence in no time! Work on the turn (keep low, drive as you step of the line...) and you will be fine.

Indeed, if its weights you like, have a look at doing some power based stuff, especially squats. Strong legs equal great acceleration (?) but dont go mental with the weight, go for éxplosive´power, ie, asfast as you can. (Interval training on a Concept Rower is ideal, too!)

Keep up with the running, try and get a copy of the Bleep Test, and Practise, Practise, Practise!
  6. My old coach had me doing intervals of 1, 2 and 3 minutes for 20 minutes with a 10 min warm up and cool down on either side. I found it helped with the cardio but turning is still the killer. Just gotta practice I guess. I bet playing some squash wouldnt hurt.

7. I would suggest trying to get to the beep a fraction early and then composing yourself before going again.
    Im just about the same build as you but used to do the pass mark comfortably (10.5?). I used to do it exactly as per the test, getting to the turn on the beep. I did one about a month ago and was upto level 12 again, relatively comfortably by getting there early.
    I've also got the test on my ipod (sad, I know) and try to go out and do it when I can. Once you have got to your limit, rest for a bit and go again or at least wait till it gets near the end and go on every other beep. This should help you to condition for quicker running.
    Hope this helps
  8. Another reason why people have trouble with the bleep test is because they panic when the intensity goes up and this in turn raises HR and before you know it you're anaerobic and into oxy debt and are left standing at the side of the gym coughing up blood and wondering what happened.

Unlike the BFT which is a single 1.5m individual effort to be taken as the individual sees fit, the bleep test is a progressive series of individual efforts, each of which has the potential to mess with your mind and body to varying degrees.

Experience (practice) may be the key.
  9. I just spray painted two lines, 20m apart on the pavement...

It begins...

10. I raised my level from 9.2 to 10.2 in under a month by doing the following:

Tuesday: Run 6.2 miles.
    Thursay: Run 10 miles.
    Sunday: Run 10 miles.

Keep a steady pace an don't have that many breaks. This may not work for you but it did for me.
  11. Download the bleep test audio file here

Bleep test download

Its on the Royal Marines site and you will probably have to register but it only takes a minute! Absolute cracking website, loads of real good fitness tips and schedules.
  12. I just gave the bleep test a try and got a rather dissapointing 9.3. My younger brother who is a bit of a fitness freak, showed me the best technique for turning and running the distance and from technique alone I tried again and got 11.1!

Moral of the story: get someone who knows how to show you the best technique!

13. I've always found the bleep test much much easier than the PFT. I don't really begin to struggle until level 9, and then it's practically over. My PFT times sadly don't reflect this apparent fitness.

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation?
  14. Yeah but only today. Getting to 11.1 was not easy for me, but far easier than running a sub 10 min 1.5 miler. I think the bleep test is more mental toughness... thats what weeds people out. Once you get to grips with it, its not that tough.

15. 'Scuse me for a bit of a thread hijack .... I suspect that your 'bleep' test is a bit different from our (Aust) 'beep' test - same principle but different timings.

What is the base line standard required in the British Army?

The Australian Army 'pre-enlistment fitness assessment' requires level 7.5 before you can 'sign on the dotted line'. This is I think 56 x 20m shuttles ie 1120m.

I should point out that the level 7.5 requirement is mainly only used before people enlist, or occasionally on day 1 of a training course (ie march in the night before, get on the turps, then wake up and do the 'PFA' before going to breakfast).

Certain jobs have different 'beep' test scores. The main assessment, though, is the BFA, which includes a 2.4km (ie more or less 1.5 mile) run.

Do any of you have a guide to what makes up your 'bleep' test? The sort of scores some of you mention are surprising, given the norms over here.