Training for London Marathon

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by too_tall, Nov 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I’ve been selected to run in the London Marathon next year and am looking for some training advice.
    I currently run a 8 minute PFT, and run 11+ miles 3-4 times a week in about 1 hour 15 minutes. From peoples experience what kind of training should I be doing i.e. how much intervals compared to long distance stuff. Also what do people reckon a realistic time to aim for should be?

Thanks in advance,

2. Time to aim for? Sod that, I'm just aiming to be alive at the end of it - with enough energy left for a couple of pints before I get wheeled/stretchered home.

(I will be putting a clause in my sponsor forms that if I snuff it en route - everyone has to pay double.)

Good luck TT!

3. CC_TA who are you running for, I was thinking of going for RBL or ABF
  4. Run for both?

Not too sure on endurance exercise, I'd just get the mileage in and build it up over time.
  5. Ok. I did the London Marathon in 2005

It was hard work

The hardest part was getting all the training in and doing a full days work

If you are in the regs then you may have an understanding boss and luck on your side.

Get a trainng plan off the web, runners world do the best ones, try and stick to it but dont commit hari kari if you don't

I think a forum user by the name of "Le Chevre" has done a couple

Have a look at my blogs from a couple of years ago

Good luck, remember its your first marathon and unlike your first shag it'll probably take a lot longer than you'd like

See you there
  6. Your fast. 11 miles in 1:15 3 or 4 times a week? if these variables are accurate then this indicates some running talent.

I would expect someone with this kind of base fitness and speed to aim for a 3 hour marathon (or very close) - especially as you have plenty of time from now till the Marathon to prepare.

The best advice I can give is to go somewhere else to get advice! Join a local running club or alternatively buy and read from cover to cover a good Marathoning training book - I recommend Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger.

Most of the Marathon training programs you will find are very similar - ie 6 times a week (or more) 1 long run a week that peaks at about 22m, 1 interval session and 1 tempo run. the rest of the runs are slow/recovery runs.

Run for charity - get sponsorship - this will help to motivate you on the cold frosty mornings when you have to drag yourself out of bed for a 20miler.

you should train for your first marathon in such a way that when you line up for the start you having nothing to fear. your training will indicate what time you are capable of, do not try to go faster!

the very best of luck.
  7. Cheers for the reply. I was aiming for a sub 3 hour marathon which means running sub 7 minute miles the whole way, however i've just been for a run at that pace and it wasn't easy!
  8. You've had your place given out of the lottery already? I thought it was the first week of Dec? (yes I know we are nearly there, but it's still early)

9. Yeah it arrived today!
  10. How many times you applied? This is my second, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow!

11. First time, good luck for your attempt!
  12. Next years will be my tenth mate so if you need any tips and hints feel free to pm me. PB of 2.52 and PW of 3.25!! (Bad year that was).
  13. Wow, 2.52 is good. What do you aim for this year?
  14. Good effort J-D! How much training do you put in, and although different disciplines how fast is your PFT? (if you dont mind me asking)
    Also is your start position determined by the estimated time on your application form, or is it just a free for all. I don't fancy being behind a bunch of untrained fat civvy mongs!
  15. Hold up there wee man, if I get to run I will probably one of those fat mongs but untrained and civvy I'll not have you calling me!