Training for Herrick 15

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jan 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For some time now my Battalion has been training for H15.

This has taken the form mandated by Director, Infantry Employment - DIE. ( surely the most unfortunate acronym in NATO? ) It has seen a good deal of weapon training and shooting, as well as exercises in Urban Operations and Convoy Drills with the Loggies.

This weekend saw a fundamental change in emphasis in that the training was solely for the H15 cohort, and involved docs checks ( no doubt the first of many ); a welfare brief, Hep A jab, C-IED / VALLON; HLS marking, intro to Influence; a presentation from a recently-returned JTAC and a stroll around an airfield in Operational Fitness Test ( OFT ) 3. The medics checked for ears, weighed us and the MO made grown men hop, skip and jump mainly because she could.

What was noticeable to me was the unspoken mood that this was not training for an exercise, it was training for combat operations in Afghanistan. ( OK, the point may have been made a tad vocally by somebody, but it seemed to sink in. )

The future holds time with 4 PARA, a week led by 5RRF as well as in-house stuff. I feel sure that the guys are particularly looking forward to OFT 6, aka ACFT 2 - seperates the boys from the men, and the men from their lunches.

Good weekend.

2. We're in the same boat ops wise and the recent weekends have been in my opinion, very good too.
    Although there are a few things I found a bit odd with DIE, like learning how to fortify a western semi detached house which I'm sure we'll be doing loads of in theatre. But hey, it was in the syllabus and as long as there is a tick in the box next to my name....

3. What unit are you with Bravo?

4. Same as you I think....

5. thought so! trying to get out with our lot but being here i m missing all the die stuff so trying to get sorted in other ways!

6. Check PMs, fellah..

7. seen, replied

8. don't forget the doc's infatuation with dangerously low bmi's

9. That def won't be a problem with me!

10. Your right mate, my BMI is going down daily, down at Chilwell.

11. Good to hear, thought you'd have left there by now.

12. I'd noticed that. My quack was spouting that BMI's of 24 to 34 were still seen as medium risk. To get a BMI of 24 at 5'11" I'd have to weigh 172 Lbs, 12 Stone 4lbs or 78Kg. I think I weighed close to that at the age of 18 after 2 weeks on Hospital food........!

13. Its all in the waist size, that's what matters.
    BMI says overweight...
    Waist size offset = No dramas.

''A BMI measurement is not as accurate if you're an athlete or very muscular (muscle weighs more than fat) as this can push you into a higher BMI category even if you have a healthy level of body fat. It's also not accurate for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or people who are frail.''

''Waist circumference is now believed to be a much more accurate measure of future health risk than BMI alone. Carrying too much fat around your middle is associated with an increased risk of developing heart disease and diabetes.''

''Any future for BMI?''
    ''The emerging research suggesting that BMI is no longer the best predictor of future health problems doesn't mean you should ignore your BMI. It still has some value as a rough screening tool. However, it's become clear that fat deposited around the waist is a more important risk marker.''

14. Our TM mentioned that BMI is a line in the sand - exceed 28 and you will NOT be going.

15. PM on route...