Training DONE TO DEATH I KNOW

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by pft_in_minus_8, Apr 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I looked at the training plan at our tac last night and noticed we have little training planned for the new training year. i asked the relevant headshed types who all gave similar answers that too much was spent last year and mtds are cut back to a minimum, also found that adv tng is likely to be cancelled to make way for other activities.

i am all for bringing in line the ta with the regular army but as the need for fitness levels to increase as does peoples ages, but not their attitudes towards change. i hear only too often about what training was like in years gone by but as a sign of the changing world surly training should be stepped up to be in-line also (i'm sure this would be the case in the regular army and in the civilian work place).

people seem to be loosing interest everywhere i look, even leaving! now whether this is due to lack of interest, too many 'admin' weekends, matts / bounty related to fitness, or just coming of age i am not sure.

my point being i love the ta and the friends (i'm not or out!) and opportunities being 'in' has given me, but if every bodies hands seem to be tied and they say they are doing all they can what can we little fish do? if it is down to the wrong guy in certain job how can he be shifted? recruiting seems to have changed since i joined 6 years ago, but we dont have chance to pick and choose as numbers are low!

2. Unfortunately there's not much you can do. It's no use planning and organising the best weekend ever if it then gets cut from the programme.

You could try and see if you can arrange the AT as Cat C2 - you get insured and rations, but not paid. It sucks not to be paid of course but its better than nothing.

Personally I find it baffling that the TA's drive towards professionalism and increasing standards is being accompanied by cuts in funding.

Don't let it get you down though, there's no mileage in stressing yourself.

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

pft,

As someone who sits on the other side of the training planning fence, can I offer this for consideration?

How much complaining would there be if there was only 1 MATT weekend per year, miss it and you lose your bounty? The soldiers who were unable to attend for valid reasons would rightly be annoyed at losing £1500 for one weekend, so multiple chances must be offered.

Then factor in all of the "must do's" eg Bde competitions, Remembrance etc and see how many weekends you have left. Take out ESSENTIAL admin (not a place in China you know) and you are left with relatively few weekends for proper training.

If everyone turned up for the first MATT weekend, you could have 2 more freed up for proper training. They don't turn up, so you have to re run the training for them.

The better the attendance, the better the training. Low level training is all that is practically possible with low numbers - the more that turn up, the better the training that can be conducted.

4. Not forgetting those of us that turn up for all the MATTs weekends, but have to teach for them. Therefore not getting our own MATTs in until the end of the year.....

5. Do any units share their MATT weekends with other units? (i.e. each unit only runs one MATT w/e but puts soldiers onto other units weekends).

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You are kidding aren't you? That would require organisation, planning, and would be an efficient use of resources.

Go and wash your mouth out with soap.

7. i dont mind holding my stopwatch for three or 4 weekends a year and getting paid 4 it............what do you think duke lad?

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I have my own PTIs thanks. Good quality ones, who have all passed P Coy.

If I ever find a barrel that needs the bottom scraping I will bear you in mind.

9. what has p company got to do with anything

i got my cycling proficiency but i'm not good at skids and wheelies

and i also got a real title (Esquire) but i dont use that :headbang:

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Meaning that the PTIs I deal with have already passed a standard of fitness much higher than that required for your "swords of power". By doing so, they have earned my respect.

You, on the other hand, have earned nothing but my utter contempt.

Drivel away, chav boy.

11. Drop it, Z - you've been walloped.

Might I also suggest you change your username? You might get worse than the polite slapping the Duke has just offered...

12. I agree training is bad at the min. there is alot of training that can be done at tac, optag training etc. then we can spend the spare weekends out on the ground. like you said its hard for us iccle fish..

13. optag sands for operational training advisory group you penis so you effectively wrote operational training training!

i don't suffer fools gladly!

14. you know what i ment. i was busy some of us work for a living
    the idea is there.

15. Doesnt it stand for Operational Training and Advisory Group? or words to that effect.

Scots