Training Doctrine

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Salad_Fingers, Aug 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been in the T.A for a year now and soon I'm off on Telic. The one thing worrying me is the lack of FIBUA training. Infantry training, or at least the T.A side of it, seems to be locked in the Cold War mind set of open warfare in central Europe. The vast majority of operational tours the British Army has been involved with since 1990 have been in FIBUA enviroments, it seems incredible that the training doctrine has not been updated to match the requirements of troops in the field. I realise that as the army owns large tracts of sub-standard land throughout the U.K that is where we do our training, why can't more FIBUA training be conducted on such land instead of woodland harbour routine and treking across the Brecon Beacons? Don't get me wrong I realise that such training is still a necessity, I'm questioning its dominance in training doctrine when fighting in a FIBUA enviroment and Peacekeeping roles have far greater relevance to the soldier on the ground. I've asked around a few soldiers of varying ranks and though they generally agree I've never had it adequately explained, is it due to ossification at the top levels of the MOD or simply a matter FIBUA being rather expensive training?

2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

FIBUA the meat grinder - the most difficult of infantry ops - Is it realistic to train the TA infantry for it? OBUA in the IS or peace enforcement or stabilization or framework concept is a different matter. I hope that TA inf spend some time in one or other of the OBUA villages up and down the country. I certainly did when I was Inf

3. msr

msr LE

SF,

Don't worry, you'll get plenty of practise during your build up training.

If you can do it in the Brecon Beacons, you can do it anywhere...

msr

4. I completely agree with your views on the training. We spend so much time in training learning about cold war style conditions I often think that if you were realistically in a section attack in a training area style environment, some kind of major mistake has been made by the person in command. In Iraq almost all the work is OBUA, something not covered in basic training. Training should begin with learning about urban patrols, room clearance, checkpoints etc.

I was once told the aim of the TA was to provide a base from which large numbers of troops could be trainined and to provide a defensive force incase of attack by the soviets. I live just north of London. If the UK was ever attacked i'm sure that all the fighting would take part in the city, yet almost all weekends involve fighting in leafy, rolling countryside?

5. Maybe it's a BN thing, the one I have been involved with has nothing very little but FIBUA/FISH for the last 3 years.

That and PSO has been the ME for donkeys, and will continue to be I hope. Even at section level its simple to produce interesting FISH training.

6. Salad Fingers, may I ask if you are an infantryman. We seem to do a fair bit of it. Peace support ops is slightly different from FIBUA though. I've been through most of the OBUA villages in Enland and Wales in my time with the TA. Different units, different mindsets.

7. Yes I am an infantryman, I'm off to Chilwell within the next three weeks. Regards to FIBUA, as far as I'm aware there was only has only been one FIBUA training weekend in the last training year for my regiment which unforutunately was before I was Phase two qualified. I've had little info on what training I'll receive before I go to Basra, other soldiers in my unit have told me pre Telic training has varied from 2 weeks at Chilwell, to Chilwell plus a month in Germany. No doubt I'll find out further down the line what training I'll receive, I simply thought more FIBUA training in the regular training year would be more useful to those sent off to supplement regular units.

8. Even the OBUA training villages are unrealistic. They are all in the design of german housing. They should have far larger urban training areas. Disused civilian blocks of flats, factories etc. We've all done room clearance drills but has anyone done anywork on larger structures?

9. Or perhaps vast swathes of open sewer, three-legged dogs, and dark-looking fellows hanging round on street corners with lots of guns.

So maybe New Orleans would be ideal..?