Training areas-Scotland

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Waldorfmuppet, Jun 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was wondering if anyone could suggest any decent areas in Scotland. Dont know the Trg areas there that well but looking for somewhere within a few hours of Edinbrugh.

Have in mind somewhere with either afghan style compounds (or could be used as) or even old NI patrol bases. Really I just want to put someone in a sangar, and maybe practice opening and closing gates.

cheers

2. used to be lots of space around Cultybraggan if I remember correctly.

3. Gareloch sweed, or barry butlins also the pentland's at the back of Smeghorn Bks

4. Try Swynnerton, they have UN base and Afghan styleecompounds

5. Cheers

The stuff at Swynnerton would be ideal, but just a bit too far to travel from Edinbrugh!

Have used barry butlans, the pentlands and garleoch head (sp?), all good areas, but not quite what im after this time!

6. I can't think of any training areas in Scotland with Afghan mock ups or FOBs.

Your best bet would be heading a couple hours South to Otterburn/Warcop.

7. RM Condor in Arbroath has a mocked up FOB on the air field.

8. My mistake, thought OP was looking for one in a training area.

9. Harlow Hill / Ouston has a disused airfield with a FOB-ish (Commacchio FPG) compound in the middle of it... two hours or so south of Edinburgh.

10. You may be right CD, however, the air field is disused and we have used it as a training area.

11. Kirkcudbright has a ex tankie training area, alternatively you could use the airfield outside of West Freugh.

closer to 3 hours from Edinburgh but think of the scenary.

12. A few good leads there, thanks!

13. Livingston, Glasgow, Cowdenbeath, Paisley, Dunfermline, Stirling, Dundee. Aberdeen if you take the train.

14. Why don't you check the relevant Land Forces Standing Order (LFSO). From memory it is LFSO 1406, which lists all training areas, the available facilities and the method of booking.

15. Who are you training, the RAF Regiment :wink:

• Like Like x 2