Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Training areas as wildlife reserves

We was doing an ambush somewhere at Thetford when just after dawn a black furry thing fell out of a tree in front of us and vanished into the undergrowth before running off leaving behind loads of barely supressed giggles.
If badgers climb trees and are not very good at it, then it was a badger. If they don't then bears might not be as extinct over here as we've been lead to believe......

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
We was doing an ambush somewhere at Thetford when just after dawn a black furry thing fell out of a tree in front of us and vanished into the undergrowth before running off leaving behind loads of barely supressed giggles.
If badgers climb trees and are not very good at it, then it was a badger. If they don't then bears might not be as extinct over here as we've been lead to believe......
drop bear for sure

One of the biggest reserves of rare wildlife and flora is the DMZ between North and South Korea. Infested with large number of AP mines there are rare asiatic bears, birds and even Siberian Tigers which were believed to be extinct. The spiders and plantlife there don't have to worry about squaddies standing on them. Suprisingly none of the wildlife sets off the AP mines, as if they know where they are all buried.

What! I used to be the Secretary of the shoot that used that land, it was poor, very poor in the last years. It was over grazed, walked and cycled over by half of Edinburgh and if we saw more five brace we were surprised.
I joined it when posted to Redford back in 1978 through to when I left from Glencorse in 84. At that time it was a nice little shoot, granted it didn't produce vast numbers but then again it didn't cost much to take part. I left months before the horrific pay run massacre down at the Flotterstone inn!

One of the biggest reserves of rare wildlife and flora is the DMZ between North and South Korea. Infested with large number of AP mines there are rare asiatic bears, birds and even Siberian Tigers which were believed to be extinct. The spiders and plantlife there don't have to worry about squaddies standing on them. Suprisingly none of the wildlife sets off the AP mines, as if they know where they are all buried.

I once got into trouble with an environmentalist group for suggesting the best way to protect wildlife was to mine the area...

I joined it when posted to Redford back in 1978 through to when I left from Glencorse in 84. At that time it was a nice little shoot, granted it didn't produce vast numbers but then again it didn't cost much to take part. I left months before the horrific pay run massacre down at the Flotterstone inn!
Aye and hope that murdering piece of shit suffers daily
Apologies for the thread drift.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I once got into trouble with an environmentalist group for suggesting the best way to protect wildlife was to mine the area...
Chernobyl was a wildlife success. No human predation, they live plenty long enough to reproduce and they don't know it's radioactive. Thriving, I read.

Last edited:
Chernobyl was a wildlife success. No human predation, they life plenty long enough to reproduce and they don't know it's radioactive. Thriving, I read.

A village hall in the exclusion zone...

It’s not ‘unspoilt’ because ‘Natural England’ decreed that hedges and undergrowth should be grubbed out to make the biggest lawn in Europe. Consequently, most of the wildlife has moved out and squaddies are training on a billiard table.
Sadly Natural England have really got that bee in their bonnet. The dogma over degrading land back to unimproved grassland is now holy writ. The only problem that they are having with the management is the near impossibility of overgrazing the resulting sward. Thus if they don't bring in the tractors to keep it cut, invasive species re-establish and natural succession reverts it to whatever local conditions allow. Often woodland.

Bob, do you have any theories as to why the wildlife don't set off any of the AP mines? Bears, Tigers and Dears are pretty heavy. Is it because being four legged the weight is somehow dissipated?

Bob, do you have any theories as to why the wildlife don't set off any of the AP mines? Bears, Tigers and Dears are pretty heavy. Is it because being four legged the weight is somehow dissipated?

1. Ground bearing pressure of some animals.

2. Very few numbers of animals

3. Tendency of wounded animals to crawl off and die.

I have got a photo of a 3-legged cow in Sri Lanka somewhere though.

Latest Threads