Trained or Untrained that is the question!

#1
Has anyone noticed lately that those jobs in the Corps that require a level of additional or specialist skill are being filled by people who don't have the requisite training?

I thought we had go past all that years ago! But it seems to be back.
 
#4
Anyway, I thought all the jobs in the Corps required 'a level of additional or specialist skill'
Are you on the higher pay band under false pretences??
 
#5
Well. I disagree

You cannot do an Imagery tour without doing th UKIAC

You can't do FHT without doing some form of DHU course and you cannot do the obvious without the Q or W. And you can hardly be a linguist if you can't speak a foreign language.

Please specify where you think the problem lies.
 
#6
eye_spy said:
Well. I disagree

You cannot do an Imagery tour without doing th UKIAC

You can't do FHT without doing some form of DHU course and you cannot do the obvious without the Q or W. And you can hardly be a linguist if you can't speak a foreign language.

Please specify where you think the problem lies.
Not strictly true, I know of several people that were sent on HUMINT tours (not as collators) that had no formal training. Like most people in the Corps, they simply adapted and got on with it. Just because you haven't done it the JSIO/SIW way, doesn't mean you can't do it.
 
#7
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
eye_spy said:
Well. I disagree

You cannot do an Imagery tour without doing th UKIAC

You can't do FHT without doing some form of DHU course and you cannot do the obvious without the Q or W. And you can hardly be a linguist if you can't speak a foreign language.

Please specify where you think the problem lies.
Not strictly true, I know of several people that were sent on HUMINT tours (not as collators) that had no formal training. Like most people in the Corps, they simply adapted and got on with it. Just because you haven't done it the JSIO/SIW way, doesn't mean you can't do it.
I wasn't aware of that Op Int & Spy, I thought you had to do a course of some description. I stand corrected. Your are indeed correct when you say that people just adapt and get on with it, that is one of our strengths as a corps. All thise guys thet went to NI in the very early 90's for their first tour had absolutely no training for that theatre, only how to slow down the progress of the 3rd Shock Army.

Eye_spy retires to dream about the good old days of the 3rd SA, grumble grumble Magdeburg grumble grumble
 
#8
There always was was a course which you were supposed to do, but with a shortfall of trained personnel and the Corps legendary admin (which has thankfully improved, slightly) Operators were just thrust into the deep end. Still what better way to prove yourself than on Ops eh!
 
#9
personally i found that the principles taught on A3 and A2 stood me in very good stead for just that sort of situation - having to deal with cascons etc, debriefing (but not handling). bos in 95 was a very good teaching ground, and i learnt a hell of a lot just through doing it.

of course, everyone i ever spoke to got topped by the opposition, but still ;)
 
#10
eye_spy said:
Well. I disagree

You cannot do an Imagery tour without doing th UKIAC

You can't do FHT without doing some form of DHU course and you cannot do the obvious without the Q or W. And you can hardly be a linguist if you can't speak a foreign language.
Please specify where you think the problem lies.
At the risk of swinging the lamp, my posting to Dhofar in 1975 was brought forward and I missed out on the Arabic course at Beaconsfield (nine weeks - all I would ever need ...) and I left Ashford with thw words ringing in my ears, "don't worry, you'll pick it up as you go along".
 
#11
eye_spy said:
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
eye_spy said:
Well. I disagree

You cannot do an Imagery tour without doing th UKIAC

You can't do FHT without doing some form of DHU course and you cannot do the obvious without the Q or W. And you can hardly be a linguist if you can't speak a foreign language.

Please specify where you think the problem lies.
Not strictly true, I know of several people that were sent on HUMINT tours (not as collators) that had no formal training. Like most people in the Corps, they simply adapted and got on with it. Just because you haven't done it the JSIO/SIW way, doesn't mean you can't do it.
I wasn't aware of that Op Int & Spy, I thought you had to do a course of some description. I stand corrected. Your are indeed correct when you say that people just adapt and get on with it, that is one of our strengths as a corps. All thise guys thet went to NI in the very early 90's for their first tour had absolutely no training for that theatre, only how to slow down the progress of the 3rd Shock Army.

Eye_spy retires to dream about the good old days of the 3rd SA, grumble grumble Magdeburg grumble grumble
... not to mention the very early 70s ...
 
#15
retread2 said:
eye_spy said:
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
eye_spy said:
Well. I disagree

You cannot do an Imagery tour without doing th UKIAC

You can't do FHT without doing some form of DHU course and you cannot do the obvious without the Q or W. And you can hardly be a linguist if you can't speak a foreign language.

Please specify where you think the problem lies.
Not strictly true, I know of several people that were sent on HUMINT tours (not as collators) that had no formal training. Like most people in the Corps, they simply adapted and got on with it. Just because you haven't done it the JSIO/SIW way, doesn't mean you can't do it.
I wasn't aware of that Op Int & Spy, I thought you had to do a course of some description. I stand corrected. Your are indeed correct when you say that people just adapt and get on with it, that is one of our strengths as a corps. All thise guys thet went to NI in the very early 90's for their first tour had absolutely no training for that theatre, only how to slow down the progress of the 3rd Shock Army.

Eye_spy retires to dream about the good old days of the 3rd SA, grumble grumble Magdeburg grumble grumble
... not to mention the very early 70s ...
Gordon Bennett! There was a Situation in Northern Ireland before the 90's? I don't know, so long ago... bovril...
 
#16
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
eye_spy said:
Well. I disagree

You cannot do an Imagery tour without doing th UKIAC

You can't do FHT without doing some form of DHU course and you cannot do the obvious without the Q or W. And you can hardly be a linguist if you can't speak a foreign language.

Please specify where you think the problem lies.
Not strictly true, I know of several people that were sent on HUMINT tours (not as collators) that had no formal training. Like most people in the Corps, they simply adapted and got on with it. Just because you haven't done it the JSIO/SIW way, doesn't mean you can't do it.
May have happened in the past but I can't see people being employed now in an FHT without the course, not in these days of having to have the ticks in the box in case it hits the fan. Good example of outstanding job by untrained guys was Sierra leone
 
#17
eye_spy said:
All thise guys thet went to NI in the very early 90's for their first tour had absolutely no training for that theatre, only how to slow down the progress of the 3rd Shock Army.
apart from the exercise in the depot annex and those wonderful sports afternoon down at St Martins Plain.

< Child of the 70's so clearly it was not the same NI that ES is talking about. We all got the issue covert holster that always came out on your pistol when you drew it, and the "British Telecom engineer" cover story. Mine sady bore the scars of all the previous users, at the Stormont on Tuesdays, so I ditched it fast>
 
#18
oh come on eye_spy, we did have NI training. they took an island from elsewhere on the planet, put it off the coast and made it a "northern ireland style" internal security situation. the pinnacle of which was having to deduce that an irishman buying aspirin and tampax was suspicious, because it could be used to aid a gunshot victim...

god knows how the other side didn't win, with us having that quality of instruction!!!
 
#19
CRmeansCeilingReached said:
oh come on eye_spy, we did have NI training. they took an island from elsewhere on the planet, put it off the coast and made it a "northern ireland style" internal security situation. the pinnacle of which was having to deduce that an irishman buying aspirin and tampax was suspicious, because it could be used to aid a gunshot victim...

god knows how the other side didn't win, with us having that quality of instruction!!!
shit..I thought that was part of our First Aid training...must have been asleep for that one too :)
 
#20
To pick up on the old fart thread as it made me smile at the bottom of the last page, I thought I'd drop in that I was born the year retread2 was in Dhofar (and I've felt like knackered idiot the past year!)!
 

Latest Threads