Train journeys will be a bit duller from now?

Whiskey, solves many things.

Maybe I am a bit damaged goods, the dead ones were easy. The ones that lived despite injuries or suicide attempts were a bit trickier to laugh off. I couldn't cope with hurt children after a while.

Cheers anyway mate.
I’ve always thought that people who decide to commit suicide by train are selfish.

I know they’re not thinking straight when they do it, but part of me thinks that if they are going to do it, do it in a manner that doesn’t involve the shock and trauma to the driver, passengers and responders seeing and picking up a mangled body. Let alone the family members who have to deal with it afterwards.

Out of interest, would a family member have to identify the body still if it’s that messed up?

My old man was in the fire brigade. He received a b0llocking off the police for daring to try and move the body to try and get the trains moving again. Apparently a doctor had to declare the victim dead and no amount of arguing that his head was fifty Feet from the body would convince the police that the victim was indeed dead and not just in urgent need of a plaster.

For those who have expressed sympathy for the driver, it seems that it is not required in this case, according to the report in the OP they still haven’t identified the train involved.
The report said it was running on time. That must narrow it down considerably, surely?

They were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Here's two more cultural icons from across the pond who had trouble with navigation and punctuality.

Kanye West, Jidenna and other musicians pay tributes to XXXTentacion

Rapper Jimmy Wopo shot dead within hours of XXXTentacion killing

And they say that deep-sea fisherman is the most dangerous job in the world. Pah!
Never heard of him, but fair play, he was considerate enough to tattoo an aiming point slap bang in the middle of his forehead to assist the gunman. Respect.
9A5D94D7-B8E0-49B7-A1AD-F62147652CAA.jpeg

Out of interest, would a family member have to identify the body still if it’s that messed up?

My old man was in the fire brigade. He received a b0llocking off the police for daring to try and move the body to try and get the trains moving again. Apparently a doctor had to declare the victim dead and no amount of arguing that his head was fifty Feet from the body would convince the police that the victim was indeed dead and not just in urgent need of a plaster.
This bloke was clearly dead, what with the brains hanging out a hole in the head! That was the whole problem why the BTP Sgt wanted him off the line, so they could get the trains going again. I was a bit more worried about what HM Coroner would say.

This whole thing was about a chap who was on day leave from a hospital (he apparently had some mental health needs). Anyway, I did remember hearing the missing persons circulation over the radio earlier in the shift.

Whilst at the railway line, I called the doctor and asked for a description.

I do remember having to suppress a smile when gently interrupting the doctor and saying, "you're wasting your time, I just need the clothing....." Rather gave the game away.

I have a hysterical story (well, I think it is funny) about doing dead-hand fingermark sets when the body was properly messed up. But probably best kept in the darkness that is my rather weird mind.

I'm sure loads of funny dead person stories knock around here, maybe we should start a separate thread?

Or just wait six months and do some thread necromancy?

(See what I did there?!)

Uuuum - could they not look in the engine sheds? Won't it be the engine with the new splashy colour scheme and a strangely attendant top cover of gulls and crows?
You're making a big assumption, that it was the front of the train/engine that did the deal.

If it was a 12-car unit, then you have a quarter of a mile of under-carriage boxes etc. to look between and if it was freight, then you'll be lucky to find anything that resembles a human. Having dealt with a few of the under-not in front of type of kills, it really is guess the body part, or indeed if it is actually human. In these cases, the driver would know nothing about it, until he/she gets told by Control or the Signal Box. He/she could even have berthed up and clocked off without knowing.

A woman walked into Clayton Tunnel (just up from Brighton) and was was hit by a down fast (express). It went like this....train side -> wall -> train side -> wall -> train side -> wall -> under train and ripped apart. Driver only heard the initial bang and one more. The passengers - especially those on that side - heard it all.

Another woman at Hassocks, decided that she'd jump in front of another down fast and was truly fucked up. This one happened as the platforms were full of kids going home from school. The flower tributes left, were in two places along the platform, as no-one seemed to know which was the main bit of her remains.

The report said it was running on time. That must narrow it down considerably, surely?
Yes, and perhaps indicative of a driver with such steely determination and single-minded sense of purpose that he’d unblinkingly drive his train over JMW Turner, John Constable and Thomas Gainsborough to stick to the timetable, never mind three “urban artists”.

You're making a big assumption, that it was the front of the train/engine that did the deal.
Like cyclists getting killed by trucks.

I went to one where the truck had turned left, and the cyclist got taken up into the wheel arch and killed. I was impressed (probably wrong word) at how intact the body was.

London Fire Brigade were actually videoing the body recovery (with a bunch of us holding up sheets to try and shield people from the spectacle, and give this poor sod some final dignity) as a "how to" get them out, because it was so tricky.

If it was a 12-car unit, then you have a quarter of a mile of under-carriage boxes etc. to look between and if it was freight, then you'll be lucky to find anything that resembles a human. Having dealt with a few of the under-not in front of type of kills, it really is guess the body part, or indeed if it is actually human. In these cases, the driver would know nothing about it, until he/she gets told by Control or the Signal Box. He/she could even have berthed up and clocked off without knowing.

A woman walked into Clayton Tunnel (just up from Brighton) and was was hit by a down fast (express). It went like this....train side -> wall -> train side -> wall -> train side -> wall -> under train and ripped apart. Driver only heard the initial bang and one more. The passengers - especially those on that side - heard it all.

Another woman at Hassocks, decided that she'd jump in front of another down fast and was truly fucked up. This one happened as the platforms were full of kids going home from school. The flower tributes left, were in two places along the platform, as no-one seemed to know which was the main bit of her remains.

Thank you for you enlightening post. I have the greatest respect for those who deal with such incidents and it is obvious I hit a nerve with you for which I apologise.

My comment, along the lines of look for the train with a new colour scheme and a flock of crows/gulls overhead, like many comments on this post, was facetious and not to be taken literally.

I doubt it, otherwise surely peace would have broken out in the UK Drill community by now.

I assume there will be some retributory shanking of the nearest Thomas the Tank Engine in revenge?
The 'UK Drill community'? Is that the new name for the Household Division?

Thank you for you enlightening post. I have the greatest respect for those who deal with such incidents and it is obvious I hit a nerve with you for which I apologise.

My comment, along the lines of look for the train with a new colour scheme and a flock of crows/gulls overhead, like many comments on this post, was facetious and not to be taken literally.
No apology needed and no nerve was hit. Just thought I'd clear it up a bit (SWIDT?)... Another thing, when you go through tunnels, you'll become aware of refuges spaced out along the length. These are little "openings" like a vertical shell scrape and you are reasonably safe in these when a train passes. All tunnel entrances have a sign on them,stating whether there are refuges, only refuges on one side, or no refuges. @ugly will know more about this than me. This is why when entering a tunnel, you need to have look-outs to warn of any movement that could endanger you. Remember, a train doesn't have to physically strike you, to kill you.

There seems to be a resurgent or growing trend towards this so-called street art. Especially in some parts of Londonistan.
I've seen literally brand new rolling stock on the Thameslink route, where whole carriages have been graffitited.
New trains came in on the GWR route on 1 Jan 18. Within a month I was travelling on one where the windows were scratched to b*ggery on the insides where enrichers had been having fun making their tags.

Last edited:
New trains game in on the GWR route on 1 Jan 18. Within a month I was travelling on one where the windows were scratched to b*ggery on the insides where enrichers had been having fun making their tags.
Luckily, the glass comes with a protective film and stops most permanent scratching. What is worrying, is the use of acid to mark the windows, as this can still be on the glass, when some unsuspecting passenger/child puts bare skin in contact with it.

Luckily, the glass comes with a protective film and stops most permanent scratching. What is worrying, is the use of acid to mark the windows, as this can still be on the glass, when some unsuspecting passenger/child puts bare skin in contact with it.
We really are breeding an army of retards in this country. Perhaps the dystopian Mad Max future isn’t as far away as we think! :-o

We really are breeding an army of retards in this country. Perhaps the dystopian Mad Max future isn’t as far away as we think! :-o
One of the reasons, that those little green blocks of soap were done away with, was the junkies habit of breaking their needles off in them. You go to wash your hands and end up with a sharps injury; at best, a scratch. At worst, Hep B or HIV.

Didn't know about the acid - but did wonder why many of the old 166 stock had what appeared to be frosted glass windows!

One of the reasons, that those little green blocks of soap were done away with, was the junkies habit of breaking their needles off in them. You go to wash your hands and end up with a sharps injury; at best, a scratch. At worst, Hep B or HIV.
Had the great pleasure of going to Newport for a Heineken Cup Rugby fixture back when Irish were good. First time I've seen a station lavatory with no smooth surfaces & UV rather than white lighting.