Train journeys will be a bit duller from now?

It would be an easy arrest if they could find out which train driver it was. After all, it isn't as if train drivers suffer when people leap in front of their trains.
I hope the plod or HSE don't try to prosecute the driver, operating company or Railtrack. Helpfully (I hope) it can be argued that the feckless three were trying not to be seen. The only concern I can come up with is whether it can be argued that the three deceased persons should not have been able to access the area where they were killed. Railtrack might have to prove that they have complied with all relevant security standards and taken reasonable steps to prevent unauthorised access.
I have a lot of sympathy for the driver and those railway and emergency staff who had to deal with this.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
One of them has a double-barrelled surname. Not, in itself, proof of anything. It doesn't necessarily make him a spoilt, middle-class prick with street pretensions.
Apparently it is a way of denoting who was the father - if the female can remember which one it was.

The part of this that confuses me is their reported tactic of laying down on the tracks/between the rails. The whole scheme is dangerous but that part is incomprehensible. Surely retain the ability to move quickly?
Just, nay proud, recipients of the Darwin Award.
On Ex Crusader in 1980 I had to lay some D10 phone lines between two villages to connect Bn HQ with one of the rifle coys (we were on radio silence at that point before anyone asks). It invloved crossing the main railway line from Hanover near the town of Ronneberg. There were three tracks and the railway crossing point was about 20 metres wide. The trains used to come barrelling on and only slowed if they were a local train for Ronneberg station.

There was no way to put the phone lines over the railway tracks so we had to run the cable under the tracks, pegged and with a fuse put in at each end. There were four of us - two to lay the line and fit the fuses, and two keeping lookout - one in each direction. As soon as either saw anything we got clear and waited until the train had passed. IIRC we had no trouble with the local Polizei once we explained what we were doing (we had to put lines in over the main roads as well).

Obviously the muppets who got squished ignored the point of having someone keep lookout - poor drills IMHO and you know where to find Sympathy... :rolleyes:

...and another thing... where do these cnuts get the money to buy the rattle cans. It grips my sh*t to pay best part of a tenner for some spray undercoat or varnish for work, let alone wasting it spraying it all over a wall... :x

From the Telegraph
Fine art student from Hampstead private school among three dead 'graffiti artists' killed by train
Not the demographic we've all been assuming .
I'm afraid I cannot feel sorry for them .
Fine art student from Hampstead private school among three dead 'graffiti artists' killed by train

John Shelley, the father of Mr Scott-Hood's childhood best friend, said he was shocked to hear of the deaths, adding: "My son is an artist like myself, and his friend was too, definitely not a 'yob' as some have surmised. Whatever their character or intentions, these boys didn’t deserve this. My son is distraught."

So not 'yobbery' but 'fine art', then.

We can see how defensive (even supportive) the middle-classes can be towards their own, in their own way. Unfortunately, their twitter appeals are no more justifiable or decorous than the chav shrine Facebook equivalents. Probably even less so given the sort of advantages enjoyed by Tarquin.

Anyone recognise the old OR/Officer distinction between drunken hooliganism and high-spirits?

I hope the plod or HSE don't try to prosecute the driver, operating company or Railtrack. Helpfully (I hope) it can be argued that the feckless three were trying not to be seen. The only concern I can come up with is whether it can be argued that the three deceased persons should not have been able to access the area where they were killed. Railtrack might have to prove that they have complied with all relevant security standards and taken reasonable steps to prevent unauthorised access.
I have a lot of sympathy for the driver and those railway and emergency staff who had to deal with this.
There are only three actions required of the driver - in fact, these are all he/she can do in this scenario and they are:

Blow horn - ******* loud at track level
Throw the handle in - apply emergency brake
Close eyes

A fourth one, if heading towards an obstruction, is to ******* run back through the train. This only works if, (a) it's a passenger service and (b) you have enough time.

All modern trains have a "black box" recording device at both ends of the train. These will be downloaded and assessed to see that the driver took all necessary actions. This includes all speeds, in-cab warning systems etc. It either hangs you out to dry, or saves your arse,

John Shelley, the father of Mr Scott-Hood's childhood best friend, said he was shocked to hear of the deaths, adding: "My son is an artist like myself, and his friend was too, definitely not a 'yob' as some have surmised. Whatever their character or intentions, these boys didn’t deserve this. My son is distraught."

So not 'yobbery' but 'fine art', then.

We can see how defensive (even supportive) the middle-classes can be towards their own, in their own way. Unfortunately, their twitter appeals are no more justifiable or decorous than the chav shrine Facebook equivalents. Probably even less so given the sort of advantages enjoyed by Tarquin.

Anyone recognise the old OR/Officer distinction between drunken hooliganism and high-spirits?
Thank god the kid was an 'artist' and not a 'graffiti artist'.
None of the clear up crew or the train driver need to have nightmares or morbid thoughts now!!!!

Maybe one of the other kids was a 'scientist' researching one of Newton's laws of motion!!

Twats -3 Trains +3

Go on the trains!

What is with the grief? F*ckers get splattered all over the railway. Does anyone really care except their families claiming benefits?

I need your vote for my election in the forthcoming general election! I will ensure that every twat has a can of spray paint to use on the line side of a piece of railway infrastructure.

Its called Class, money, breeding, snobbery, and an overwhelming sense of your own superiority. The real world calls it cuntery.

Its nothing to do with the "class" of these feckless individuals; the entire main stream media, press and public sector are lauding them and their ilk as talented artists, part of "street art culture" - I don't think I've seen "vandal" or "criminal damage" mentioned anywhere in the press (apart from the readers' comments, of course).

We live in a society driven by an agenda to regard everyone as blame-free (unless its an individual from a despised class, such as middle-aged white males...). Thats why we have whole sections of illegal behaviour now abandoned from policing because the perpetrators are deemed to be victims of some sort of oppression or disadvantage.

Thank god the kid was an 'artist' and not a 'graffiti artist'.
None of the clear up crew or the train driver need to have nightmares or morbid thoughts now!!!!

Maybe one of the other kids was a 'scientist' researching one of Newton's laws of motion!!
.....for every action there is a equal and positive reaction...in this case, 400 tons at 50mph meeting head on, 30 stone = pink mist & mince,

Radio 5 have reported one of the 'graffiti artist's' parents has said their son died doing something he loved.

Is it just me or are they suggesting he loved being hit by trains?
Kinky.

Is it wrong of me to wonder if the train in question will get 3 body shaped silhouettes painted on it in the manner of a WW2 bombers service record?

Is it wrong of me to wonder if the train in question will get 3 body shaped silhouettes painted on it in the manner of a WW2 bombers service record?
Yes, very wrong, and just as wrong as renaming the engine '617 Squadron the Canbuster'

Any association that is bomber command style would delay the driver getting any help for at least 6 decades just like the original bomber boys!