Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trail running shoes

I assume the SPM reading you have there is for two steps not one.

Otherwise something is rather odd.
It is as far as I'm aware a reading of the minimum steps per minute, and the maximum steps per minute over the course of the run.

There is also a graph which compares Heart Rate, Step Rate in conjunction with the Heart Rate.

So if I'm running uphill you can see how the stride Rate shortens, so more steps per minute, with a corresponding higher heart rate. It also overlays the altitude. Quite impressed to be honest.

Although the main reason I got the watch was for the GPS to measure the total distance run.

@usmarox apologies, but consider this thread well and truly hijacked. See what you started :wink: :wink: :wink:

Yeah, I have one for my Huawei fitness tracker / gps watch but it's a bit basic.
I just sold my old Polar Heart Rate monitor on ebay, a Polar Rs300x with Chest Strap Transmitter. It was okay, but I need to know how far I was running, at what pace, and total time. So I made the switch.

It is as far as I'm aware a reading of the minimum steps per minute, and the maximum steps per minute over the course of the run.

There is also a graph which compares Heart Rate, Step Rate in conjunction with the Heart Rate.

So if I'm running uphill you can see how the stride Rate shortens, so more steps per minute, with a corresponding higher heart rate. It also overlays the altitude. Quite impressed to be honest.

Although the main reason I got the watch was for the GPS to measure the total distance run.
I'm going to guess the SPM on the left is your average for the whole run and the right is your max.

Which in real terms would mean - Ave of 158spm, with a max of 208spm - which sounds totally normal, as opposed to 100spm which I think you said earlier on?

Can't see spm/incline in those images. Just the 2 numbers at the bottom of the first image.

Last edited:
On the other hand, a mate caused himself serious issues when he tried barefoot running shoes - and he’s a lot younger than me.
Again I’m no expert here, I’m only going on what the chap my gait analysis said.
I thought I was a fairly flat foot striker, but the video clearly showed otherwise. We tried it on the treadmill barefoot, because most heelstrikers find running barefoot uncomfortable and will quickly adapt to a flatter strike to stop it hurting. The trouble is that’s unnatural for most, as we’ve only ever worn shoes, so have adapted to a heel striking gait. Going straight at it without easing in and allowing the body to adjust to the new stresses will very probably cause you problems.
After a few goes on the treadmill, trying small changes, he had me running in a more efficient, less heel striking style, which I have to say works, and has reduced the amount of knee pain I get. He was very adamant though that I should not just change over night. Slow changes, over weeks, or injury will occur.

Latest Threads