Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trail running shoes

Evening all,

Anyone got any recommendations in the way of trail running shoes?

My road running shoes were serving me well, but I do most of my running on Salisbury Plain. Not a problem until it started getting really boggy a few weeks ago.

Under normal circumstances I’d go down to the running shop and ask, but lockdown.

It’s a little more complicated because it’s mixed surfaces - some of the trails hold up better than others, some of it is metalled road - so I think I need a pair of hybrid shoes.

Any thoughts?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
AKU Libra GTXs are pretty decent. They aren’t marketed as trail running shoes as such, but they pretty much are. Maybe somewhere between a trail running shoe and a walking shoe.

Lightweight but hardwearing trainers with a decent sole and waterproof.

The wife and I both have a pair. She does quite a bit of running in hers.

QRK2

LE
An colleague was recently on a course in the welsh marches and told me that these are all the rage there:

An colleague was recently on a course in the welsh marches and told me that these are all the rage there:

They get my vote for trail running. There is a goretex version too, but opinion is divided on the benefits.

Evening all,

Anyone got any recommendations in the way of trail running shoes?

My road running shoes were serving me well, but I do most of my running on Salisbury Plain. Not a problem until it started getting really boggy a few weeks ago.

Under normal circumstances I’d go down to the running shop and ask, but lockdown.

It’s a little more complicated because it’s mixed surfaces - some of the trails hold up better than others, some of it is metalled road - so I think I need a pair of hybrid shoes.

Any thoughts?
Brooks Pure Grit, if they still make them.

I've only ever done one marathon - it was overseas on muddy trails, over undulating terrain. I only got one small blister from these during the whole run, and that was down to an issue with my socks.

Equally good on road, I found - all my training was along the tarmac paths of the Thames and Regents Canal. I could not fault them.

The model I had were the 2017(?) ones I think.

Edit: Pure Grit 4 - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjACegQIFBAB&usg=AOvVaw31Cz0PHQRzildbKJsY9W70

Last edited:
My last two or three pairs have been Asics. I usually run mainly off road but am having to run a fair bit more on road at the moment because some of my routes are just too waterlogged. The Asics have been fine in both sets of circumstances. Not too pricey either.

QRK2

LE
My last two or three pairs have been Asics. I usually run mainly off road but am having to run a fair bit more on road at the moment because some of my routes are just too waterlogged. The Asics have been fine in both sets of circumstances. Not too pricey either.

I'm an Asics fan but they don't cope well with the greasy mud that is prevalent at the moment. I have an old pair of gel fuji runnagades for these conditions but they don't seem to be around any more.

As always, the same as any performance footwear - you need to try loads on and then go with what feels best.

I personally use La Sportiva Mutants but that's purely because they're the best fit and have the right profile for the conditions I run in, often boggy, wet, manky ground - I think they look gopping - took around 90 minutes and 7 pairs to come to that conclusion.

Places like Cotswold Outdoors allow you to order multiple pairs, try them all, send the ones back that aren't the best fit, get refunded.

As always, the same as any performance footwear - you need to try loads on and then go with what feels best.

I personally use La Sportiva Mutants but that's purely because they're the best fit and have the right profile for the conditions I run in, often boggy, wet, manky ground - I think they look gopping - took around 90 minutes and 7 pairs to come to that conclusion.

Places like Cotswold Outdoors allow you to order multiple pairs, try them all, send the ones back that aren't the best fit, get refunded.
You’re absolutely right. Very much an individual thing.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ping @fairmaidofperth - she's done a LOT of trail running....it's the mad jock genes.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
I've got the goretex speedcross, excellent for proper off-trail but not sure if the extra for the GT is worth it as the water just comes in the top when its really boggy anyway. Otherwise altra olympus 4 or saucony mad river are pretty good for less extreme trails

I'd second the puregrit recommend.
However...

If your road running trainers work for you, see if they do a trail running line. Shoe design is pretty constant, and I went with the puregrits because I used to use vapors, and they're pretty much the same shape/cut as one another.

I'm a mild over-pronator, but wear much flatter trail shoes, mainly because your feet are continually changing contact point when running trails, so trying to "correct" foot strike isn't worth it!

Lawrence Ripples :wink: :wink: :wink:

PeacePhlapps

Old-Salt

I’ve got a pair of those and for 99% of the year they’re pretty great, although a little narrow so had to size up. The other 1% of the year they’re positively lethal as on ice they make very effective skates. Have had a few little scares on flat wet rock too.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm using Saucony - non-Goretex, as you end up soaked anyway. They're very good. Stable on the foot and nice and grippy.

SWMBO has some Inov8s which she uses for boot camp. Also very good.

Latest Threads