Trail Boss discontinued?

Could be Hodgdon has stopped shipping it to the UK, I had a look on the Hodgdon website and there is nothing to indicate they have discontinued making it. The last time I was picking up reloading stuff (around 3 weeks ago) I noticed it was on the shelves at out local store here in the US.

There are a few alternatives out there but that depends on which firearm you were using Trail Boss with.

The 2006 REACH could be the answer ( Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals )

Hodgdon has stopped shipping any non eu-compliant powders into the UK (the June 2018 changes) so once current supplies have gone that's it. The following powders are affected: Varget, Bench Mark, BLC2, H1000, H322, H335, H380, H414, H4198, H4350, H4831, H4831SC, H4895, H50BMG, LEVERevolution, Superformance, US869, Hybrid100V, Trail Boss and Retumbo.

So is this crap just more anti gun shite from the EU?

Good point raised elsewhere

How can American, (funny that) reloading powders be de facto banned from further import but not ready loaded US ammunition?

I can shenanigans! More EU protectionism in the form of 'H&S'

Well, that's my spending money allocated - shall be ringing around my local RFD's to gather up as much of the stuff as I can.

Got to say it's (IMHO) the most versatile of propellants that I've ever used. Works for rifle, shotgun and pistol loads as well as a decent BP substitute all with excellent results.

My dealer suggested using VV Tin Star, but unlike Trail Boss, it hasn't got any official download data for .308 so the RO's going to be a bit of a PITA with using that.

Blimey, bit too slow off the mark there, fruitless couple of hours spent calling ever further distant RFD's - all to no effect.

Looking at a few comparative burn rate tables Alliant Promo is a match, Alliant Red Dot and Winchester WST are just above (faster) as is Hodgeon Tite Group. Just below (slower) are Winchester Super Handicap and Alliant Clay Dot.

For my money though as none of the possible replacements have the same distinctive "Doughnut" shaped grain the burning characteristics of them cannot be the same as T.B. which is/was about the same as B.P. but in a 'Nitro formulation which is one of the reasons I preferred it.

Twats - proper spoiled my W/E

Blimey, bit too slow off the mark there, fruitless couple of hours spent calling ever further distant RFD's - all to no effect.

Looking at a few comparative burn rate tables Alliant Promo is a match, Alliant Red Dot and Winchester WST are just above (faster) as is Hodgeon Tite Group. Just below (slower) are Winchester Super Handicap and Alliant Clay Dot.

For my money though as none of the possible replacements have the same distinctive "Doughnut" shaped grain the burning characteristics of them cannot be the same as T.B. which is/was about the same as B.P. but in a 'Nitro formulation which is one of the reasons I preferred it.

Twats - proper spoiled my W/E
Just a thought on Trail Boss;
N32C (TIN STAR) - Vihtavuori

Under Caution;
They have roughly the same burn ate.
They have roughly the same energy per volume.

So in short they are interchangeable.

They do not however have the same volume!
TinStar is @1/3 less fluffy and only occupies 2/3 the volume of TrailBoss grain for grain, so if not carefull you can overload and get into pressure trouble.

There seems to be a problem with some US propellants at the moment, Alliant Unique is a useful option, or Vihtavuori N-330/N-350.

There seems to be a problem with some US propellants at the moment, Alliant Unique is a useful option, or Vihtavuori N-330/N-350.
Unfortunately, in the small charge weights I'm typically using, Unique meters like old people fück...

Fiocchi 32G is even worse on that front...

I pm'd an American who is a member of a forum I use- he shoots and reloads lots of different calibres and he is trying out IMR 4227 as a substitute for Trailboss

My dealer suggested using VV Tin Star, but unlike Trail Boss, it hasn't got any official download data for .308 so the RO's going to be a bit of a PITA with using that.
I use VV N140 with my Tikka .308, it's spot on. Might be worth giving it a try.

I use VV N140 with my Tikka .308, it's spot on. Might be worth giving it a try.
He's looking for reduced gallery loads, not full power loads. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY A MASSIVELY REDUCED GALLERY LOAD WITH N140.

Unfortunately, in the small charge weights I'm typically using, Unique meters like old people fück...
No argument there.....

And there's the nub of the problem: the volume of the propellant.

Shall take a look at IMR 4227 today.

Latest Threads