Tragic Accident

Condolences to her family.

RIP

LCpl Sarah Holmes 29 Regt RLC

Nothign wrong with a bit of banter, if I popped my clogs I would sooner have my muckers mocking, taking the p1ss and laughing at my expence than have a bunch of faceless interneters posting RIP and sickly poems.

Not the thread for this argument, but I am sickened and embarrased at some of the dribble posted on condolencies threads.

instead of posting RIP, send a quid to SSAFA or the RBL.....

I wasn't being kind at all......I was mearly saying that the thread was called "R.I.P"

minister_doh_nut said:
Nothign wrong with a bit of banter, if I popped my clogs I would sooner have my muckers mocking, taking the p1ss and laughing at my expence than have a bunch of faceless interneters posting RIP and sickly poems.

Not the thread for this argument, but I am sickened and embarrased at some of the dribble posted on condolencies threads.

One line reply just to p1ss you off but :thumleft:

mediumwhiteamericano said:
Sorry Lord F but you need to check out his comments in the other thread listed above where he was bang out of order.

I've read them.

Do people think they are showing huge amounts of respect by posting 'RIP' or some other random prose on a website?

Would those same people go and sign a condolence book for someone they never knew?

As mdn suggests, if you want to show respect, lob a couple of quid at a charity instead of jumping on the bandwagon, being lazy and just adding endless amounts of 'RIP' to someone you didn't know. If you did know the person, fair one. If not, it's just lazy and a shallow way of putting across that you 'care'.

Thats not aimed at you mate, just a generalisation.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
mediumwhiteamericano said:
Sorry Lord F but you need to check out his comments in the other thread listed above where he was bang out of order.

I've read them.

Do people think they are showing huge amounts of respect by posting 'RIP' or some other random prose on a website?

Would those same people go and sign a condolence book for someone they never knew?

As mdn suggests, if you want to show respect, lob a couple of quid at a charity instead of jumping on the bandwagon, being lazy and just adding endless amounts of 'RIP' to someone you didn't know. If you did know the person, fair one. If not, it's just lazy and a shallow way of putting across that you 'care'.

Thats not aimed at you mate, just a generalisation.

Roger that

I'd much rather read one story from a squaddie or old aquaintance about good times they shared, an amusing story about him or a tribute to a life shortened by whatever means they passed, to see RIP is just sickening, cheap and cheesy

Agreed MDN and that would make it all the more respectful and 'real' than some of the stuff we normally see. However where someone goes on about panty sniffing and the like; that's just out of order and he got what was coming.

I would imagine that Smudge, will have at some stage been a Pall bearer or similar at a muckers funeral.

From what I recal of the same, jokes being cracked, banter along with the sombreness of the occasion.

Stop being drama queens, he is hardly opening the box and lagging on her is he?

Tasteless RIPs and crap poems are far more insulting/

Percy_Pigeon

War Hero
Book Reviewer
minister_doh_nut said:

Isn’t that what the NAAFI bar is for, this post was in a serious thread and viewed by the wider domain.

Respects will be posted by colleges and acquaintances and possibly viewed by family members etc. to that end alone there is no place for banter.

PP

RIP

I really did have to bite my tongue at all the posters who never met, knew, served with, or crossed the path of L/Cpl Holmes calling out "Mods where are you" "I hope you die in a hail of bullets" etc etc at Smudge's comments. CA isnm't a forum I moderate, this one is so I am quite happy to speak my mind here on this subject and moderation policy.

Frankly I found them less offensive than the trail of grief-tourists and waggon jumpers who waste bandwidth by posting "RIP Mukka" to the pie-scoffing, fat lard arrsed, untersmench who poste god-awful poetry and sickly comments after each condolence thread.

It is a sad day when any serviceman or woman perish. To my mind it is also a sad day when any innocent civillian is killed in the course of trying to go about their daily lives in the backdrop of war and violence. There is a time and a place for remembering all of those who loose their lives in conflict, military and civilian, and that is on 11th November. The appropriate act of rememberence is the laying of a wreath of red poppies.

It IS NOT sickening sentimentality on the internet.

It's about time this site and its users remembered where their dignity is instead of trying to turn it into a virtual gate in front of Kensington Palace.

If you want to honour the dead then go into a church at lunchtime and say a prayer for them if you are so inclined. Make a donation to the RBL or SSAFA if you prefer. Stop off for a moment's silent reflection at a war memorial.

Don't, in place of all of the appropriate means of expressing condolence, start spouting shite all over the internet. "May you walk in the presende of angels. RIP" posted on an anonymous bulletin board by people who never came within a mile of the deceased is just tacky sentimentality and honours no one or no thing.

I am quite content to have a read only roll of honour on this forum, but not a constant stream of meaningless condolance threads.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Murphy_Slaw The NAAFI Bar 97
Fablonbiffchitthe1st Gunners 1
fatherjack833 RLC 15