Traffic Offences in Germany

A few developments, I've seen the photo and although the quality is shit I'm 99.9% sure that's me. Also the time of the offence indicates it was me. After a bit of digging I think it will be a fine but no suspension on the license. I'll just have to take it on the chin and pay up and then put it down to experience.
If you have a military licence in Germany there is nowt the GCP can do really other than: Fine you; take you to court for a bigger fine; report you to the RMP for their consideration of military discipline.

My advice make minimal wave's with this and quietly pay the fine.

Just a quick question to the old and bold who know about being British Forces Germany.

I have just received a letter from Military Police telling me that an MOD mini bus I had signed for has been reported (with a photograph of the driver) driving too close to the vehicle in front. It happened last year when travelling through Germany on the way to Austria for Tri Service skiing and its only just surfaced now after six months. We were travelling in a convoy of four MOD mini buses(driven by SNCO's) and before we set off on the journey the Senor Officers decided that we would travel "in convoy". We stayed in convoy from Calais to Austria and rotated drivers frequently.

What's the chances of me saying in mitigation that we were ordered to drive in convoy and dodging a fine?
How much do they want you to put in their begging bowl ?

How much do they want you to put in their begging bowl ?
The ready reckoner online allows you to put in speeds and such to give indicators of fines.

I put in travelling at 100KPH + and at less than 30% distance from the vehicle in front and came up with:

Ergebnis

Der Abstand zum vorausfahrenden Fahrzeug bei einer Geschwindigkeit von 101 bis 130 km/h betrug weniger als 30% des halben Tachowerts.
Das ergibt ein Bußgeld in Höhe von 160 Euro..........to pay
sowie2 Punkte in Flensburg.................................................2pts
und 1 Monat Fahrverbot......................................................1 month ban

If you have a military licence in Germany there is nowt the GCP can do really other than: Fine you; take you to court for a bigger fine; report you to the RMP for their consideration of military discipline.

My advice make minimal wave's with this and quietly pay the fine.

in 197:( I totalled a motor, and its occupant, I got a six months ban on the German roads, and a DM 2000 fine.
that is all.

The ready reckoner online allows you to put in speeds and such to give indicators of fines.

I put in travelling at 100KPH + and at less than 30% distance from the vehicle in front and came up with:

Ergebnis

Der Abstand zum vorausfahrenden Fahrzeug bei einer Geschwindigkeit von 101 bis 130 km/h betrug weniger als 30% des halben Tachowerts.
Das ergibt ein Bußgeld in Höhe von 160 Euro..........to pay
sowie2 Punkte in Flensburg.................................................2pts
und 1 Monat Fahrverbot......................................................1 month ban

Gone up somewhat since I was there

in 197:( I totalled a motor, and its occupant, I got a six months ban on the German roads, and a DM 2000 fine.
that is all.
Through Provost Branch doing the military side of banning and Germans doing the fine I am assuming? They used to have a stack of requests/case files from GCP to deal with regularly and from what they told me they used to advise on the pulling of military licences and/or pass them down to unit level to be dealt with.

We had a Corps rugby player sent to us who was a driver and had been done for writing off his motor in Germany whilst under the influence. Insurance sorted out the claims, he went to German court for fines, but the military had to take his BFG licence - 2 or 3 years, he returned to UK and was out on the roads immediately in a new Capri 3.0, and playing rugby for one of the London Club's.

Gone up somewhat since I was there
1980's the Mrs had DM200 on the spot fine in Dortmund at zero dark 30 driving from Paderborn to JHQ. XR3's used to shift.

Through Provost Branch doing the military side of banning and Germans doing the fine I am assuming?

I was told that the German court imposed the fine, and the suspension of my UK driving licence, which allowed me to pootle about on camp, but not on the German roads. this was over 40 years ago, I suspect the laws and regulations have now changed .

I was told that the German court imposed the fine, and the suspension of my UK driving licence, which allowed me to pootle about on camp, but not on the German roads. this was over 40 years ago, I suspect the laws and regulations have now changed .
I suspect our bloke got away without a possible suspension of his UK licence due to his sporting prowess - I am not sure but I am thinking the standing civilian court people in JHQ may have had the power to remove UK licences.

A few developments, I've seen the photo and although the quality is shit I'm 99.9% sure that's me. Also the time of the offence indicates it was me. After a bit of digging I think it will be a fine but no suspension on the license. I'll just have to take it on the chin and pay up and then put it down to experience.
It depends on speed and distance to the other car. Generally spoken if your speed was over 100 km/h and the Distance wasn't under 3/10 of this 100 km/h, 30 Meters you will have to pay a fine. If the Distance was lower than 3/10 of your speed they normally take your license for 1 month or more. I do not know if this applies to foreign motorists and as far as I understand you are not stationed in Germany.

After a bit of digging I think it will be a fine but no suspension on the license.
Any driving ban issued by a German Authority applies only in Germany. However a serving soldier would not be allowed to drive military vehicles anywhere for the duration of the ban. But as previously said, if you're not stationed in Germany then the offence expired 3 months after it was committed. For those stationed in Germany the statute of limitations does not apply to traffic offences, however once a soldier has left the country that is effectively the end of the matter anyway.
As always if in doubt get qualified advice from a lawyer.

From my understanding of the German letter and what I've found on the internet this is quite a new fine. Looks like it will be about €130. The ban I can ignore as I live outside Germany(based in UK). As the letter came through RMP in Bielefeld there could be some unit consequential punishment but probably not and if so it will be minor.

I take the view that my ten days skiing in Austria just went up from €100(the military cost of the skiing) to €230 (if you include the fine) so it was still a cheap trip.