• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Traffic light things in MT white fleet

Hi REME types,
Can anyone tell me about those stupid traffic light things in the white fleet cars/mini busses..WTF do they do?
Its a cracking game that the army invented to ease boredom whilst you're driving somewhere. Your aim should be to get as many red lights in the shortest time period as possible, using your mobile phone while driving to time yourself.

Have fun!

edited to add: ambers are only there to tell you to try harder.

It's called DRIVES. Guess what champs, get too many reds or speed and you will be tapping the boards in front of the man, coffee not included.

this system my bold, is there to monitor the way one drives. if one gets the ''red'' light on, stand by for a pants down from your mtwo,
We've two 4x4 vehicles with these little traffic box systems in the dash close to the windscreen,

According to the drivers *cough* when it 'occasionally' goes to red it takes quite a while to revert back to yellow before handing it back, thus preventing a word from the MTsgt/WO

However I'm unaware how many White fleets have them up & down the country...

B

Bottleosmoke

The speeding report starts at LF and works its way down via your Divs and Bdes. Although most Regional Bde MDs will already have access to the system and ability to monitor vehicles fitted with it.

If you speed in a vehicle fitted with DRIVES you will get caught. There is a DIN out about it which includes the procedure of dealing with inapproriate driving i.e speeding.

Its also a GPS so all the vehicles are tracked too................

Duty driver, 5 times +90mph in one week. He's going to have a nice surprise on Monday when he gets back from leave. No chance of speeding on the gate.....

i thought it was a method to monitor your efficiency at work, in between meetings. ie, if the red light isn't on you're wasting time driving too slowly to get to next appointment!

Do reports REALLY get sent to MDs/MTWOs? At my last place i had no idea what the device was (thought it was alarm system) and spent a lot of time in the red and nothing ever happened.

They had a similar system (VMIS) in the commercial sector 10 years ago. The current versions are more to do with attaining the ultimate goal which is fuel efficiency (bottom line profit).

B

Bottleosmoke

i thought it was a method to monitor your efficiency at work, in between meetings. ie, if the red light isn't on you're wasting time driving too slowly to get to next appointment!

Do reports REALLY get sent to MDs/MTWOs? At my last place i had no idea what the device was (thought it was alarm system) and spent a lot of time in the red and nothing ever happened.
The system went fully live late last year and yes they really do.

A

armadillo

i thought it was a method to monitor your efficiency at work, in between meeting. Ie, if the red light isn't on you're wasting time driving too slowly to get to next appointment!

so that what that was, me too.

How does it work? if it is gps I would be prone to putting a faraday cage of sorts round the transceiver,

anyhow can you legally be done for speeding via this system?

P

pp0470

No you can't. I understand it's a 'safety feature' and its principle function is to record driving standards in the event of an accident.

It does have a bleeping sound too as you approach the red ligh zone - I only realized this after several hundred miles of driving the CO (I have the radio loud when driving alone). I thought the 'bleeps' were from his laptop!

B

Bottleosmoke

so that what that was, me too.

How does it work? if it is gps I would be prone to putting a faraday cage of sorts round the transceiver,

Its not about "doing people". There are a number ways to educate persisent offenders before AGAI action is deemed appropriate.

If it's the system that I saw in a fleet car last year then it did not contain a GPS function and monitored inertia changes more than it did speed. Therefore it picks up putting your foot down hard on either the accelerator or brakes or cornering to fast. Allegedly you could drive steady over 70 on the motorway and stay in the green, so who would design such a system that would allow you to speed and besides you have to build in the accpeted 10% speedo inaccuracy. Someone mentioned at the time that it was more about reducing tyre wear and fuel than it was about catching speeding, it would need a GPS to know when you were doing 40 in a 30 but not on a motorway. I heard that the vehicle in question was identified as being abused and subsequently taken away!

Z

Zarathustra

We have them in our white fleet and the RLC mob have them in their MAN trucks. When it was first introduced the TCWO caught someone going through the Maccy Ds drive through on the high street because he has a laptop that shows him where all the vehicles are, how fast their going and how they're being driven etc

Latest Threads