Traffic light drill

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but mods feel free to move it if not.

Little Miss Civvy (no I'm not posting pictures) is learning to drive, taught by me. (No, I'm not too tight to shell out on proper lessons, she's just shy and asked me). She's just failed her first practical test, mainly as a result of 'unsafe' manoeuvre at traffic lights, so I'm after advice, ideally from police /driving instructor or examiners, on the correct drill.

Situation is this: Busy light controlled junction in middle of town. Two lanes in each direction, right lane is a turn right only lane, no filter lights. Not a box junction. She is turning right, in a queue of traffic. She's crossed line and passed 'primary' lights, but there are a couple of vehicles in front of her waiting to turn when oncoming traffic clears. She sees secondary light on opposite side of junction go red, then vehicles ahead of her go. Since she is not blocking junction she sits tight as traffic from left and right enter junction. Lights go green again, but she can't move because by the time traffic crossing junction has cleared her path, oncoming traffic once again prevents her from turning. She waits, light goes red again, and as soon as oncoming traffic is clear, she completes the turn before traffic sets off in other direction.

On debrief, examiner tells her this was unsafe and main reason for failure as she had "gone through a red light". However, to me, once she had crossed line and entered junction, the 'secondary' light on the other side of the junction no longer had effect.

So, what's the correct procedure here, given that traffic on this junction is so busy that simply waiting until the junction is clear when the light is green isn't an option, and she did what everyone else does there?

Simple solution

Did she ask the tester to full explain why she failed and how she should have done it.

I'd also suggest that you open your wallet and fork out for a few lessons most instructors know all the test routes ask the instructor to go around them with her.

Momba Womba

On ROPS
On ROPs
Did she ask the tester to full explain why she failed and how she should have done it.

I'd also suggest that you open your wallet and fork out for a few lessons most instructors know all the test routes ask the instructor to go around them with her.

<drift>

My instructor at Lecce point blank refused to go anywhere near the test routes. His argument was that he was teaching driving, not passing tests. If you can drive, you don't need to know the test route, he said.

Seemed a bit of a pisser when everyone except me (it seemed) knew the route but I can't fault him too much because I did pass my LGV 1&2 first time.

But yeah - deffo need a couple of professional lessons.

I used to get tested regularly on the agency... assessments they were called.... sometimes I had to guess on little technicalities like this, even as a full time professional driver. Definitely beyond the scope of learning off your dad.

llech

LE
Might of been a whole host of things, did she hesitate even though she did it correctly. No help to you but take your test in somewhere rural, Bala doesn't even have a roundabout no dual carriageway and 1 set of traffic lights (pedestrian crossing) any less and it would be a attendance course!

You can't teach someone to drive if you're not a driving instructor. It's not about driving. It's about driving in the officially prescribed way.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
I was taught that if i'd crossed the white line then I should take the least dangerous option - sometimes better to wait, others better to clear the junction to avoid blocking traffic. Judgement call I guess and perhaps just bad luck for her.

llech

LE
You can't teach someone to drive if you're not a driving instructor. It's not about driving. It's about driving in the officially prescribed way.
Quite, who on earth drives like they're on their tests after passing, 1st thing you chin off is that 10 to 3 nonsense when you realise its dangerous.

Quite, who on earth drives like they're on their tests after passing, 1st thing you chin off is that 10 to 3 nonsense when you realise its dangerous.
the safer option is the 10 to 2 hand position anyway,

I prefer the gangster option of right hand at the 11 o'clock position, left shoulder dropped concealing the 9 I've got strapped whilst listening to "ridin" by Chamillionairre!
Dont forget to sit almost sideways

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but mods feel free to move it if not.

Little Miss Civvy (no I'm not posting pictures) is learning to drive, taught by me. (No, I'm not too tight to shell out on proper lessons, she's just shy and asked me). She's just failed her first practical test, mainly as a result of 'unsafe' manoeuvre at traffic lights, so I'm after advice, ideally from police /driving instructor or examiners, on the correct drill.

Situation is this: Busy light controlled junction in middle of town. Two lanes in each direction, right lane is a turn right only lane, no filter lights. Not a box junction. She is turning right, in a queue of traffic. She's crossed line and passed 'primary' lights, but there are a couple of vehicles in front of her waiting to turn when oncoming traffic clears. She sees secondary light on opposite side of junction go red, then vehicles ahead of her go. Since she is not blocking junction she sits tight as traffic from left and right enter junction. Lights go green again, but she can't move because by the time traffic crossing junction has cleared her path, oncoming traffic once again prevents her from turning. She waits, light goes red again, and as soon as oncoming traffic is clear, she completes the turn before traffic sets off in other direction.

On debrief, examiner tells her this was unsafe and main reason for failure as she had "gone through a red light". However, to me, once she had crossed line and entered junction, the 'secondary' light on the other side of the junction no longer had effect.

So, what's the correct procedure here, given that traffic on this junction is so busy that simply waiting until the junction is clear when the light is green isn't an option, and she did what everyone else does there?
The examiner is correct in failing her, but gave an incorrect reason.

It should be: "you have failed because you're a fücking split arse".

The nearside traffic light at the halt line is the control light under the Road Traffic Act. Once you have passed beyond that you are obeying that control. All others are merely repeaters for assistance and have no relevance in law. Hence, moving out at a complex junction with multi repeaters, obey the light you last saw at the halt line and make progress UNLESS to do so would cause danger to any road user. This particularly applies to complex junctions with pelican crossings, which is where most people cause themselves a problem when the red halt repeater light is to their offside and out of play yet they still halt.

"She sees secondary light on opposite side of junction go red, then vehicles ahead of her go" seems to be where the problem lies. The repeater light has no authority, merely assistance.

I agree, and I've offered to pay for proper lessons but she's a a bit phobic and says she'd rather stick with me.

I agree, and I've offered to pay for proper lessons but she's a a bit phobic and says she'd rather stick with me.
How about talking to an instructor about you sitting in the back due to her phobia and the instructor having an assessment style drive to give her the tips and the up to date 'right ways'

BiscuitsAB

LE
Where do you live? I'll take care of her.
She's far to young for you, she is in fact the OPs child bride and the only reason he wants her to learn to drive is so that she can drive him around when he's in his dotage, whichis only just around the corner isn't that right @CivvyPete . :)

I jest not, the Op is one of two mates who have both snagged themselves young ladies who are much younger, hence the permanent grin on their respective faces.

Latest Threads