Traffic in London.

Teeblerone

War Hero
Prior to lockdown I commuted into central London from Zone 6, if not working on client site. Buses arrived when programmed (save for occasional traffic delays, but updated information was displayed at my stop or on various Apps). I never had to wait for more than 3-4 minutes for a Tube train at peak time (Jubilee time). Delays on the Tube were very infrequent and because of this I could predict my commuting time within a couple of minutes.
Friends visiting (remember that?) from the States or Australia are in awe of Public Transport in London, although the cost of it was also a gripe. But over my various tours in London over the last 20 years, public transport has only got better (more regular, more reliable).

ETA: Another strength of public transport in London is that it is a network. As seen after the 7/7 bombings 15 years ago, there are numerous network work-arounds, even when key nodes are knocked out. From my London location I can use buses, tube, overground and network rail links as alternatives. If the Jubilee line is down, I can use other lines. If the Tube network is down, I can use a bus to get to either overground or Network rail nodes. If the buses are out (eg industrial action) a short cycle ride can take me to three different transport modes.
Agreed, The bus network is excellent (apart from some of the passengers. I wouldn't be wholly averse to there being 3rd class, sealed compartments for schoolkids, prams and the kind of person that stinks of booze/weed at 07:00hrs). (in fact, the fresh air would do 'em good, get a trailer on the back).

To all those amnesiacs praising London's public transport system, a reminder of the tendency of the staff to go on strike.

I have fond memories of leaving the office in Clapham at 11pm and walking to West Hampstead laden with 30+kg of kit because taxi drivers were operating the more lucrative shuttles between the central railway stations.

My flat in leafy London buys me a 3 bed detached or 4 bed semi in my sisters village in the South West.
What he said, and up here my old 3 bed terraced house (14Ft Wide) in London, E11, built in 1895, which now sells for £600,000 buys you a 5 bed detached , in its own grounds, with garaging, a large rear garden, and a drive for at least 6 cars, up here on the leafy south staffordshire- west midlands border, with open fields behind us, and a semi rural canal running along side.

RTU'd

War Hero
What he said, and up here my old 3 bed terraced house (14Ft Wide) in London, E11, built in 1895, which now sells for £600,000 buys you a 5 bed detached , in its own grounds, with garaging, a large rear garden, and a drive for at least 6 cars, up here on the leafy south staffordshire- west midlands border, with open fields behind us, and a semi rural canal running along side.
Location, location, location.

My sisters house has 1.5 acres of land in the West Country.
I only live where I do because of work, if given the choice it would be Bishops Hull nr Taunton.
And I could abuse all on arrse whilst looking out at fields & the countryside.

simple, 80% mark up (at the Irish end, they pay £2.50 lb for the beans and sell them to the Uk shops for £75lb), then the mugs cough up up to £6 for a cardboard cup of the sheite
£75lb are you sure about that? Where are people paying £6 for a coffee? You are also forgetting overheads.

Yesterday I had to drive to a well known electronics store to collect a new phone for my daughter.

It's a 15 mile round trip.

at the two hour point we'd almost got to the shop.

The M27 was utter chaos yesterday.

My total drive (including taking my wife to and from work) was 36 miles, and took 4 1/2 hours. (excluding the 5 minutes to phone the police about the nissan micra parked in lane 2 of a roundabout facing oncoming traffic
I used to have a car like that...

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think public transport in London is very convenient, unless you are moving something heavy/bulky **** knows why people use cars.

Even the prices are reasonable if you live there, monthly travel costs are 138 quid for zone 1 and 2 to 253 quid for zone 1 to 6.

I have to carry up to 9 stupidly large laptops (and associated cables), a projector, various other bits and bobs and my overnight/week away kit.

There is no way I'm using public transport with that little lot.

When I have to go to London I drive in the evening before, usually stay at tower bridge premier inn (company account) and use taxis to take the crap essential equipment in and out on the first and last days of the course. The rest of the time I can generally walk to and from the client.

Our general manager insisted I do the trip by train on one occasion as we were using the clients IT.

it was twice the price of driving in and staying in a hotel (mainly because I had to use a taxi after the train as my route on busses to the industrial estate would be an hour and a half on 7 busses) and then there was the 6 hour delay in getting home thanks to the train breaking down.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I am currently observing the lockdown restrictions, but I have to go and pick up my dear old mum from dyalasis twice a week.

If i were to take this return journey at this time of night it would take me ten minutes or so , this afternoon it took me over an hour and a quarter to get home.
The mayor has narrowed the roads and totally made the place into gridlock central.
The traffic lights seem to be set to deliberatly f*ck you up if you are driving a car.
Someones arsse needs to get a severe bumming.

Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this?
Sadiq Khan! He has a particular penchant for trying to turn London into some kind of Green paradise (hence ULEZ, which is expanding to the leafier suburbs soon), local roads closed to traffic to "enhance the air quality" and "ensure safer neighbourhood roads" leading to cars that used to use the rat runs to join the main roads at all and any possible points are now cramming on the main roads leading to major congestion which in turn leads to more air pollution. His fascination with cycle paths has lead to some of the main roads in London going down to a single lane (Park Lane being a prime example) leading to congestion leading to low air quality, a few local councils have since turned the road closures back to normal roads meaning freer flowing traffic.
The pics below are a prime example of the type of road closure measures used (room for cycles and motorbikes only)
1604698466517.png

1604698546891.png

And below is what happens when people get pissed of with them!
1604698587673.png

Sadiq Khan! He has a particular penchant for trying to turn London into some kind of Green paradise (hence ULEZ, which is expanding to the leafier suburbs soon), local roads closed to traffic to "enhance the air quality" and "ensure safer neighbourhood roads" leading to cars that used to use the rat runs to join the main roads at all and any possible points are now cramming on the main roads leading to major congestion which in turn leads to more air pollution. His fascination with cycle paths has lead to some of the main roads in London going down to a single lane (Park Lane being a prime example) leading to congestion leading to low air quality, a few local councils have since turned the road closures back to normal roads meaning freer flowing traffic.
The pics below are a prime example of the type of road closure measures used (room for cycles and motorbikes only)
View attachment 518381

View attachment 518383

View attachment 518384
Are the pics of Rotherhithe/Bermondesy?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
So, if a person earns enough to live in London they're axiomatically indecent?

FFS
Most with money have already left London to the third world newcomers

Most with money have already left London to the third world newcomers

The exodus from London started over 30 years ago, as soon as the housing bubble burst, its not a new phenomena, we escaped in 1988. On my very rare trips back, i might as well be in the African-India- eastern Europe , as everything i knew from my past has now gone. They say," never go back, remember it as it was. the past is another country".

Niamac

GCM
When I was working I was in London for a meeting and the locals were banging on about how difficult and stressful their commute was. I ventured the opinion that "it is getting worse everywhere; I'm finding it difficult to get home for lunch".

SOHF generally.

When I was working I was in London for a meeting and the locals were banging on about how difficult and stressful their commute was. I ventured the opinion that "it is getting worse everywhere; I'm finding it difficult to get home for lunch".

SOHF generally.

My bold:- ????

When the congestion charge was first introduced it made a limited amount of sense. The subsequent expansion was a money grabbing excercise.

Cars are a captive audience and so easy to get more money from.

The options for the government are these.

1) Make public transport so reliable and cheap that nobody but a fool would use a car. It can be done, Friends living in Madrid would no more drive to work than ski in. This costs the authorities money.

2) Make cars so expensive that it's easier to allow an extra hour, ninety minutes, to get into work and although the system is dirty, unreliable and costly, it's still cheaper financially. It just costs the punter an extra five to ten hours of their own time each week. Cost to authorities zero, with the added benefit of extra cash coming in from people forced to use private means. Shift workers, like hospitality, cleaners and, oh yes, nurses.

Motorcycles are for winners. No congestion charge, no ULEZ charges.

Mr Khan's dad was a bus driver you know.
Unfortunately you have government versus mayor politics - OK if they're the same party but see the latest custard pie flinging. Which the govt has quietly back away from and coughed up.

Mind you, Conservative ideology can change, we have the very amusing current situation of the current government kicking off against the EU because it wants to use state aid. The blessed Margaret, PBUH, will be rotating at high speed.

Public transport should be subsidised IMO, including rail, with no financial shell games to cover it. The benefits in respect of congestion and pollution make it worthwhile.

View attachment 518381

View attachment 518383

View attachment 518384

Couldn't you just chuck some car tyres over them and start a fire, if plod catch you, you're celebrating black culture innit blud

Sense of Humour Failure.

Especially for @kelvin 273, Memory jog:-

I found out when living and working in London, that office types ( I was a site construction worker) don't really have a very developed sense of humour. Working in a part occupied office complex in the square mile, the office wallahs, the suits, didn't quite seemed to understand our rough down to earth sense of humour. We got the word that a very high up female supervisor was having an affair with a co worker, and she was known for using them to advance her career, and so the emergency staircase that we had to use, still in its raw concrete state, suddenly had chalked and magic marker messages on the stair well wall, as to her sexual prowess, and ribald comments as to what some of the lads would like to do to her. When she found out, the screaming and meltdown could be heard where we were working, in a sealed off section of the office area, on the same level.
BT main London HQ near Holborn kingsway 1988.

Chef

LE
Unfortunately you have government versus mayor politics - OK if they're the same party but see the latest custard pie flinging. Which the govt has quietly back away from and coughed up.

Mind you, Conservative ideology can change, we have the very amusing current situation of the current government kicking off against the EU because it wants to use state aid. The blessed Margaret, PBUH, will be rotating at high speed.

Public transport should be subsidised IMO, including rail, with no financial shell games to cover it. The benefits in respect of congestion and pollution make it worthwhile.
Sounds like a good idea to me.

I believe that public transport systems rarely, if ever, make a direct profit. What they do do is provide the environment for others to make a profit, which can then be taxed.

Once making a profit becomes a target for the system it all becomes a bit messy.

Latest Threads