Traffic in London.

I am currently observing the lockdown restrictions, but I have to go and pick up my dear old mum from dyalasis twice a week.

If i were to take this return journey at this time of night it would take me ten minutes or so , this afternoon it took me over an hour and a quarter to get home.
The mayor has narrowed the roads and totally made the place into gridlock central.
The traffic lights seem to be set to deliberatly f*ck you up if you are driving a car.
Someones arsse needs to get a severe bumming.

Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this?

Special school streets so go around and some roads closed so fight to get out and lots of cable replacement works going on with attendant temporary traffic lights and barriers suddenly appearing so diversion needed. I's in 'Ackney and my trip from Central to Dalston used to take ten minutes, now around an hour. :cool:

I am currently observing the lockdown restrictions, but I have to go and pick up my dear old mum from dyalasis twice a week.

If i were to take this return journey at this time of night it would take me ten minutes or so , this afternoon it took me over an hour and a quarter to get home.
The mayor has narrowed the roads and totally made the place into gridlock central.
The traffic lights seem to be set to deliberatly f*ck you up if you are driving a car.
Someones arsse needs to get a severe bumming.

Yes. It’s London.

It's to encourage the use of public transport.

Use of public transport is encouraged because:

a) It's environmentally responsible and/or;

b) It maximises TfL's profits.

My guess is the latter, more so now that Coronavirus measures recommend avoiding public transport.

If someone had an agenda to discourage cars from London they could reduce the road space available to cars, reduce the speed limits of cars to 20 mph, impose punitive taxes on internal combustion engines and give free reign to high speed electrical bicycles and scooters.

Anyone who persists in utilizing the devil's carriage can be damned.

If someone had an agenda to discourage cars from London they could reduce the road space available to cars, reduce the speed limits of cars to 20 mph, impose punitive taxes on internal combustion engines and give free reign to high speed electrical bicycles and scooters.

Anyone who persists in utilizing the devil's carriage can be damned.
Are you applying to be Sadiq Khan's next campaign manager?

Thirty odd years ago this country abandoned effective regional policy, and allowed economic development to be focused on London and the South East, and leaving the rest of the country to struggle. The result is a capital where decent people can't afford to live, so jobs are done by immigrants working and living illegally, and the transport system is congested to the point of collapse.

My commute to work.
Main roads all the way including dual carriageway. Two sets of traffic lights, lovely scenery as well...

Bugger living in London ever again.

My commute to work, go downstairs put the kettle on, have a coffee, fire up the work laptop in my study and do stuff in programming languages

Move to the countryside, and work without the commuting, it should be the norm by now for those that don't really need to work in an office

I wonder if it will stay the norm when this pandemic is resolved, probably not

My commute these days is horrendous, too.

Get out of bed. Have a wee, then a shower. Don leisure gear. Walk down stairs. Put kettle and toaster on. Feed dog. Have a cup of tea. Take dog for quick walk. Have another cup of tea. Sit in study. Turn laptop on. Turn off video camera. Log in to morning meeting. Make more tea and toast...who actually commutes these days?

Last edited:
Local traffic around here (Warwickshire) absolutely vile yesterday evening. Busiest for months.
Same around here. I'm putting it down to the silly early Xmas shopping thing going on and people getting to where they need to be for this lockdown.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Yesterday I had to drive to a well known electronics store to collect a new phone for my daughter.

It's a 15 mile round trip.

at the two hour point we'd almost got to the shop.

The M27 was utter chaos yesterday.

My total drive (including taking my wife to and from work) was 36 miles, and took 4 1/2 hours. (excluding the 5 minutes to phone the police about the nissan micra parked in lane 2 of a roundabout facing oncoming traffic

With the availability of online shopping with next day delivery, one wonders why people bother with bricks and mortar stores really

My commute to work, go downstairs put the kettle on, have a coffee, fire up the work laptop in my study and do stuff in programming languages

Move to the countryside, and work without the commuting, it should be the norm by now for those that don't really need to work in an office

I'm hoping it does stay the norm in my job, I've been working from home since March and have saved £2700 in fuel so far. Once covid is over I'm hoping I can get away with one day in the office a week and work from home the rest, I think I've more than proved that the work is still getting done. I'm sure bosses will be dicks about it though and want everyone back in to "rebuild working relationships with colleagues".

It's like a marriage the more distance there is and the less frequently you meet, the better the relationship

Thirty odd years ago this country abandoned effective regional policy, and allowed economic development to be focused on London and the South East, and leaving the rest of the country to struggle. The result is a capital where decent people can't afford to live, so jobs are done by immigrants working and living illegally, and the transport system is congested to the point of collapse.

London is easily affordable.

£250,000 buys you a studio flat in a crime ridden tower block in one of the more 'vibrant' parts of town.

What more do you want?

I suspect it will stay the norm for many. Lots of firms have realised they don't need large, expensive city centre offices. I can see many of them down-sizing their offices, perhaps with staff required to come in only if they really need to or possibly only for one or two days a week.

It's relative wages in play

Where I live even a lady who works as a cleaner can afford a mortgage on a small property in an area with a low crime rate

What can a cleaner in London afford a mortgage on, a room under the stairs in a flat?