Trafalgar Square today

It was great to see the throngs of people at Trafalgar Square today cheering on our cricketing heroes, the finale of everyone singing "Jerusalem" sent a shiver down my spine, jingoistic it maybe, but still great to see.

Barrack Room Lawyer said:
It was great to see the throngs of people at Trafalgar Square today cheering on our cricketing heroes, the finale of everyone singing "Jerusalem" sent a shiver down my spine, jingoistic it maybe, but still great to see.

I take it from, '...jingoistic it may be...', that that would be a bad thing then?

I watched from the pavement outside my office as the bus passed - a wonderful atmosphere and very good natured crowd. It made me proud to be English

will they all get MBEs like those one hit wonders in the England rugby team?

Sorry, but I still can't fathom why a game played by a bunch of bods wearing jumpers, trousers, shoes and straw hats, standing still for minutes at a time hitting the odd ball and jogging back and forward between sticks a few metres apart and drinking Pimms in between, can possibly call itself a 'sport'!

RedMistUK said:
Sorry, but I still can't fathom why a game played by a bunch of bods wearing jumpers, trousers, shoes and straw hats, standing still for minutes at a time hitting the odd ball and jogging back and forward between sticks a few metres apart and drinking Pimms in between, can possibly call itself a 'sport'!
Agree, but anything that raises national pride and makes people proud to be British is a good thing... at least its not played by chav scum such as Wayne Rooney. A good day and good for the country.

RedMistUK said:

Also take Football for example..... running up and down a bit, fall over, have a cry and a tantrum because your team mate says youre a butt ugly wastrel! I can go and see panto at Christmas.

Vonshot said:
RedMistUK said:
Agree, but anything that raises national pride and makes people proud to be British is a good thing... at least its not played by chav scum such as Wayne Rooney. A good day and good for the country.
True, you are right there a bit of British Pride (that is of course if we are allowed to demonstrate our Britishism?!!! remember the English Flag bans etc.!)

I saw them this morning before the bus tour started and Freddie Flintoff was absolutely slaughtered! Apparantly he hasn't been to bed yet! Good effort that man although leaving a wife like his to sleep alone does take some explaining!

Mr_Deputy said:
Great day. Great feeling about it all. Good role-model for young children (not 'kids' ... as they are young goats.)
Shame our chief run-maker y'day was a friggin' SAFFY. And the coach. Gah! It hurts.
My thoughts exactly, great show from our team. It's really put a smile on my face. Duncan Fletcher's not Zimbabwean any more though, common sense has prevailed at last! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4240294.stm

BBC said:
England cricket coach Duncan Fletcher has been granted British citizenship after 15 years of trying following intervention by the home secretary.
:D :D :D

I've always considered footy my first sport, and followed cricket fairly closely when England play. But you see the overpaid footballers feigning injury, diving and even telling their own captains to feck off (Rooney last Wed), and compare that to what we have seen this Summer on the cricket pitch. Not well paid and yet pride of the whole country. When KP was out, it was great to see Warney the first to go up to him and shake his hand. Whatever happens over the next months, this was the greatest Ashes series ever, and I am proud to have been able to watch it. To be honest, football has just got out of hand, and I can't be bothered watching it. (May also be due to my team's gone from European Champs to 4th bottom of League 1)

RedMistUK said:
It is called sport because it is played in friendly but competetive conditions, during the whole ashes series did you see any body pulling shirts, diving for a penalty or swearing, or as I refer to it "cheating". No I don't think you would have done.. It was a great series to watch, supporting a national team, and for those who have slated it without having played it, it is a very exhausting game when played at a high level.

PS, footballers get paid in one week what it takes you and I to earn in 2 years....... do you think that it's still fair sport ??

RANT OVER

Now whens the next cricket match on telly

Well, England vs Pakistan starts in October at some stage

medman82 said:
RedMistUK said:
It is called sport because it is played in friendly but competetive conditions, during the whole ashes series did you see any body pulling shirts, diving for a penalty or swearing, or as I refer to it "cheating". No I don't think you would have done.. It was a great series to watch, supporting a national team, and for those who have slated it without having played it, it is a very exhausting game when played at a high level.

PS, footballers get paid in one week what it takes you and I to earn in 2 years....... do you think that it's still fair sport ??

RANT OVER

Now whens the next cricket match on telly
Did I mention Football?!!!

Now this is why the ashes is important. It gets bites the size of this from the Australians you work with:

Dear All,

Congratulations on your recent Ashes win. After so many summers of dispair, it is no wonder you are all so happy.

You may have had to import a South Africian to help you get some runs; and you may have killed the spirit of the game in the last test (by consertatively/ cowardly not letting the Australians bat a second innings); but you did win. Well done England, you are indeed a great sporting country.

I remember when the English press used to complain that the only reason Australians cared so much about winning sporting contests, was because we didn't have any other cultural diversions. You win one cricket series and the entire country stops. No doubt some more MBE awards will soon be dished out. Maybe a knighthood for young Freddy.

For the record, on two occassions Australia has had the Ashes for a period or more than 18 years. It is therefore only fair that we share the joy, as sport is clearly the winner at the end of the day. Out of the 311 tests played, you have won 97, we have won 126, and we have drawn 88 times. Please remember these stats before you next send an abusive email to me.

You now have the Ashes (and yes the Rugby World Cup), but I can still go to a beach in Oz without cutting my feet on pebbles, I can still get a sun tan, take regular baths, enjoy edible food and I do not have to winge to make myself feel better.

Regards,

XXXX

P.S. All bets will be paid by the end of the week
That'll be a snap then.

barbs said:
Now this is why the ashes is important. It gets bites the size of this from the Australians you work with:

Dear All,

Congratulations on your recent Ashes win. After so many summers of dispair, it is no wonder you are all so happy.

You may have had to import a South Africian to help you get some runs; and you may have killed the spirit of the game in the last test (by consertatively/ cowardly not letting the Australians bat a second innings); but you did win. Well done England, you are indeed a great sporting country.

I remember when the English press used to complain that the only reason Australians cared so much about winning sporting contests, was because we didn't have any other cultural diversions. You win one cricket series and the entire country stops. No doubt some more MBE awards will soon be dished out. Maybe a knighthood for young Freddy.

For the record, on two occassions Australia has had the Ashes for a period or more than 18 years. It is therefore only fair that we share the joy, as sport is clearly the winner at the end of the day. Out of the 311 tests played, you have won 97, we have won 126, and we have drawn 88 times. Please remember these stats before you next send an abusive email to me.

You now have the Ashes (and yes the Rugby World Cup), but I can still go to a beach in Oz without cutting my feet on pebbles, I can still get a sun tan, take regular baths, enjoy edible food and I do not have to winge to make myself feel better.

Regards,

XXXX

That'll be a snap then.
Now thats a tosser

I'm not a big fan of cricket but at least they have achieved more than the coiffured posing waste of time 'England' football team. Good on them!

barbs said:

Dear All,

Regards,

XXXX

That'll be a snap then.
Excellent! How do you intend to reward this bitter creature for his epistle? I suggest a bowl of lemons on his desk.