Trafalgar - Help required please

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Queensman, Oct 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You landlubbers out there may not be aware that the 21st of this month is the 207th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar. Guess who has been spammed to 'give a little talk' on the Battle - why me, I'm not quite sure, given that I work in a Tri-Service establishment but who am I to question an order, coming, as I do, from a Regiment with a long and proud Naval connection?

The Admiral (now you might get some understanding as to why I am ferreting around in this manner) has asked me what the Army's involvement was on the day? I have drawn an absolute blank - as far as I can tell the 'soldiery' element was provided entirely by the Royal Marines.

Does anyone have any idea if there were any Army Regiments involved as Embarked Troops in Marine Service? If so, please let me know.

Many thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wasn't Sharpe there?

blast!

3. Try a different approach. Tell the Admiral that the RAF Regiment were manning the carronades on the Victory and that an RAF officer would probably be a better choice to do the talk... Rodney2q

• Like Like x 2
  4. God dammit theres me wanting to make a Sharpe joke and almost everyone beating me to it. afaik there were no army units involved at all even upon consulting wikipedia I can't find any.

5. I've got outlaws who were in the Greenjackets. One has always assured me that they were taught that their forbears were some of the first sea soldiers, having served at Trafalgar.

So maybe a Greenjacket museum is the sort of place to try asking.

Edited to add:- The 95th Rifles were involved in the Battle of Copenhagen, which I guess is what the outlaw meant. No record of any Greenjacket forbears at Trafalgar that I can see.

6. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

You have got the short straw on this one hav'nt you? The only thing I can remember about trafalgar day is that its the monster in laws birthday.
    Good luck on your lecture

• Like Like x 1
  7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Just tell the Admiral that as ever, the army were far too busy on important stuff to find time for a swan around in sailing boats.

You could always cheer the nautical types by saying that there is no proof whatsoever that any ipods were lost.

• Like Like x 2
  8. In the National Archives online, there's loads of stuff on Trafalgar plus a few of Nelson's letters. And perhaps one of our historians could help. AFAIK individuals on the Royal Navy side numbered about 18000 and came from Africa, America, West Indies, India, and most countries in Europe. And one woman's been mentioned and confirmed at Trafalgar, one Jane Townshend. Nothing yet about the Army alongside the RM.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You could use a french source, they believe it still to be an inconclusive skirmish where they managed to knock of our leader!

Yes they still believe that!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

10. Sharpshooter, please.

NOT 'sniper'.

Thank you.

And just like ANY sharpshooter in ANY military, he would be trained to shoot to shoot at the officers with the most gold braid.

tac

11. You could man the **** up and tell the homo to do the speech himself, as no-one else wants to hear about his gay sea fight

• Like Like x 7
  12. You could go from the surgeon's point of view, Beatty I think his name was. There was a good program on Sky called Traflagar- Battle surgeon

13. Something is bugging me. I cannot remember if there were any regiments at Trafalgar, Something says there were but??? If there were they would have a battle honour as they were given for other sea battles.

Why not concentrate on what the army were doing at the time of the battle. I for one would be interested to know, and in reverse what the navy were up to at the time of Waterloo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1