Trafalgar Day!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Radical_Dreamer, Oct 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well..

Here in the sand-land of Dubai, my neighbours already started off their fireworks to mark the day!

Happy Trafalgar day.

And a bit of a read to go with it. Something from our cousins :roll:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/19/opinion/edbeam.php

2. i'd expect nothing less from a Pro Republican, anti royalist bunch of arrse. :evil:

"Cool Britannia has turned the anniversary into a year-long orgy of nostalgia. Understandably so. Once Nelson expired in a pool of his own blood after the battle, it was pretty much downhill from there."

FFS we,ve heard barely a blip about the celebrations, less the politically corect wargame that took placre earlier this year.

I think they forget that Brittania ruled for at least another 110 years. 8)

AAAAARRRRRRRHHHH. :twisted: :twisted:

Rant over.

and as the air expelled from frankie's lungs, the world looked a brighter place

3. Yes now the Yankee empire has started it's decline into obscurety. The attemps to turn its ill informed citizens will grow.
    Protraying decent onest Englishmen as villens was just a start for their movei industry, the average Yankee citizen is incapable of absorbing anything beyond a 5 mins sound bite and well soon the Mexican take over will be complete and English the second language.
    john
    Remember the Alamo, the meataxes won that one.

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Have you been at the Krum Thep, Jonwilly ?

5. Ok JW is it beer or is it Parkinsons

6. My congratulations!

7. A special day for our friends in The Andrew - and a reminder of our maritime heritage

To the immortal memory..

8. Not even I have one before the suns over the yardarm.
    Krum Thep now ya've got me there, May be ya mean Lao Khao, sum of which is almost pure alcohol.
    Parkinsons, yes welcome ta List Jonwilly.
    Shall be having a clebratory drink down in a Kraut bar this evening never lost mi taste for A nice Zigauner Snitchzel and a Blonde .25Ltr.
    But seriously the yankee empire that never wuz is now on the downhill run.
    john
    and if the fleets over visiting Krung Thep(Bangkok) get ya arrses down Pompy/Plymouth and keep the girls happy.

9. Serious Message ..........

Lets celebrate this day loudly as the 'PC' lot have stopped us in some areas of the British way of life (we all seen the stories about Christmas celebrations and nativity plays and not being able to have English flags, pet piggies at work etc).

I am a pongo, I wish it to be known I give not just Nelson but the grey funnel line a rousing three cheers today as they do an excellent job with the resources, that those that sit behind a comfortable desk and have never done a days fighting have allocated them.

Well done Nelson ++d the French and Spanish, De Gaulle got nothing but help from us the British people and Churchill, and after the war treated us worse than rat droppings

Three cheers for Nelson Hussar, Hussar, Hussar !!!

Three Cheers for our navy Hip, Hip, Hooray !!!

I'll take my medication now.... :)

J

10. Death to the French and to Tyrants everywhere.

11. Someone needs to stand outside of Downing Street and sing Rule Britannia! :)

12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

A fine quote from Nelson himself:

"You must hate the French as you hate the Devil."

Sound words, even today, as most of us will agree.

13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Best wishes to my friends in the Royal Navy, who will doubtless be celebrating Nelson's glorious victory in the appropriate manner this evening.

14. Just found this: :lol:

Nelson - the Truth:
    THE BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR (TWO HUNDRED YEARS ON )

Nelson: “Order the signal, Hardy

Hardy: “Aye, Aye, sir

Nelson: “Hold on, that’s not what I dictated to the Signals Officer. What’s the meaning of this?

Hardy: “Sorry sir

Nelson: (reading aloud): “England expects every person to do his duty, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religious persuasion or disability. What gobbledygook is this?”

Hardy: “Admiralty policy, I’m afraid, sir. We’re an equal opportunities employer now. We had the devil’s own job getting England’ past the censors, lest it be considered racist.”

Nelson: “Gadzooks, Hardy. Hand me my pipe and tobacco”

Hardy: “Sorry sir. All naval vessels have been designated smoke-free working environments.”

Nelson: “In that case, break open the rum ration. Let us splice the mainbrace to steel the men before battle.”

Hardy: “The rum ration has been abolished, Admiral. It’s part of the Government’s policy on binge drinking.”

Nelson: “Good heavens, Hardy. I suppose we’d better get on with it….full speed head.”

Hardy: “I think you’ll find there’s a 4 knot speed limit in this stretch of water.”

Nelson: “Damn it man! We are on the eve of the greatest sea battle in history. We must advance with all dispatch. A report from the crow’s nest please.”

Hardy: “That won’t be possible, sir.”

Nelson: “What?”

Hardy: “Health and safety have closed the crow’s nest, sir. No harness. And they said that rope ladder doesn’t meet regulations. They won’t let anyone up there until proper scaffolding can be erected.”

Nelson: “Then get the ship’s carpenter without delay, Hardy.”

Hardy: “He’s busy knocking up a wheelchair access to the fo’c’sle, Admiral.”

Nelson: “Wheelchair access? I’ve never heard anything so absurd.”

Hardy: “Health and safety again, sir. We have to provide a barrier-free environment for the differently abled.”

Nelson: “Differently abled? I’ve only one arm and one eye and I refuse even to hear mention of the word. I didn’t get to the rank of admiral by playing the disability card.”

Hardy: “Actually, sir, you did. The Royal Navy is under-represented in the areas of visual impairment and limb deficiency.”

Nelson: “Whatever next? Give me full sail. The salt spray beckons.”

Hardy: “A couple of problems there too, sir. Health and safety won’t let the crew up the rigging without hard hats. And they don’t want anyone breathing in too much salt – haven’t you seen the adverts?”

Nelson: “I’ve never heard such infamy. Break out the cannon and tell the men to stand by to engage the enemy.”

Hardy: “The men are a bit worried about shooting at anyone, Admiral.”

Nelson: “What? This is mutiny.”

Hardy: “It’s not that, sir. It’s just that they’re afraid of being charged with murder if they actually kill anyone. There are a couple of legal-aid lawyers on board, watching everyone like hawks.”

Nelson: “Then how are we to sink the Frenchies and the Spanish?”

Hardy: “Actually, sir, we’re not.”

Nelson: “We’re not?”

Hardy: “No, sir. The Frenchies and the Spanish are our European partners now. According to the Common Fisheries Policy, we shouldn’t even be in this stretch of water. We could get hit with a claim for compensation.”

Nelson: “But you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil.”

Hardy: “I wouldn’t let the ship’s Diversity Coordinator hear you saying that sir. You’ll be up on a disciplinary.”

Nelson: “You must consider every man an enemy, who speaks ill of your King.”

Hardy: “Not anymore, sir. We must be inclusive in this multicultural age. Now put on your Kevlar vest; it’s the rules. I could save your life.”

Nelson: “Don’t tell me – health and safety. Whatever happened to rum, sodomy and the lash?”

Hardy: “As I explained, sir, rum is off the menu! And there’s a ban on corporal punishment.”

Nelson: “What about sodomy?”

Hardy: “I believe that is now legal, sir.”

Nelson: “In that case….kiss me, Hardy.”