Traditions within the RLC

Following a discussion after too much port and too little sleep at a recent Regt dinner we came to the conclusion that the Corps has no traditions.

Does anyone know any different?

(Yes, I expect the usual retard replies and slagging before you all start)

General Melchett said:
Following a discussion after too much port and too little sleep at a recent Regt dinner we came to the conclusion that the Corps has no traditions.

Does anyone know any different?

Bugger, so does that mean i have to answer in the positive now then?

General Melchett said:
Bastard and I had a quality one-liner to do with fat lesbians.

Im not sure if keeping the conductor appointment counts as a tradition.
Other than that I certainly haven't heard of any.

It seems to be tradition nowadays to turn up at dinner nights sporting whatever footwear takes your fancy/you feel most comfortable in whilst wearing Mess dress

Sad considering a google search reveals:

RLC traditions

But then fails to mention anything, surely there must be some old RAOC/ACC/RCT or even RASC traditions that have been forgotten and can be revived?

Then again most RLC soldiers I ask dont even know what the Corps March is let alone what its called!

Maybe we could start a tradition, Im sure someone could devise something? These traditions have to start somewhere !

......the old RCT tradition of whining is certainly going from strength to strength.

No speeches at dinner nights was an RCT tradition - pity it doesn't seem to have carried forward judging by some of the drivel I've had to sit through.

The 10th Anniversary would have been a good chance to start some traditions.

Maybe it'll happen on the 15th............and maybe not.

Maybe we could start a tradition, Im sure someone could devise something? These traditions have to start somewhere!

Hmmmm....

How about the tradition of the fat stores lass? or the whinging skinny git with national health glasses storeman, its done your lot alright so far? or have things changed?

Gren said:
Maybe we could start a tradition, Im sure someone could devise something? These traditions have to start somewhere!
How about toasting the Corps from RAOC silver goblets and then urinating in RCT crystal glasses before ceremoniously smashing them in the PFI-provisioned virtual fireplace.

Barrack Room Lawyer said:
surely there must be some old RAOC/ACC/RCT or even RASC traditions that have been forgotten and can be revived?
I suppose it would have been hard to choose what traditions to carry over an RAOC tradidition would mean nothing to the other 4 corps and vice-versa.

Corps RSM about to think some up?

Counter-Bluffer-Ops said:
Gren said:
How about toasting the Corps from RAOC silver goblets and then urinating in RCT crystal glasses before ceremoniously smashing them in the PFI-provisioned virtual fireplace.
I didnt actually write that, just the quote didnt come out as i wanted it to, sorry not an RLC bod myself...

General Melchett said:
But don't most traditions have a meaning/reason behind them? (blues and royals saluting without headress type thing.)
Not what some bloke thought up on the spur of the moment.

stacker1 said:
General Melchett said:
But don't most traditions have a meaning/reason behind them? (blues and royals saluting without headress type thing.)
To be honest, how can you expect to have traditions when your only 15 years old? or whatever it is now.

Can you not adopt your parent corps traditions and suite them to the RLC?

Just spoke to BRL senior who was a RAOC soldier of 15 years and he can't remember or recall any RAOC traditions that took place, he began to then regale me in his tales of Royal Berkshire Regiment traditions which he was in prior to transfering, I think this is a uphill task, traditions seem to be more of a Regiment thing rather than Corp.

stacker1 said:
General Melchett said:
Traditions

......actually GM quite a few traditions exist in the RLC, but they are so deeply ingrained in the collective conscience that they hardly register.

Amongst these are the way the port is passed, toasting HM, the saying of grace or the Corps collect, the playing of the Corps (or the forming Corps) marches, and the position and role of Mr Vice.

Now, apart from these I haven't seen that many other different traditions during my time. A certain RA mess used to have an 'Orphans Table' on which any living-in member could mount a brass plaque inscribed with his details after 6 months; and the SG used to have a tradition of 'watches off' just before a lock-in occurred, but this is more of an idiosyncrasy rather than a tradition.

RLC traditions

But then fails to mention anything, surely there must be some old RAOC/ACC/RCT or even RASC traditions that have been forgotten and can be revived?

Then again most RLC soldiers I ask dont even know what the Corps March is let alone what its called!

Maybe we could start a tradition, Im sure someone could devise something? These traditions have to start somewhere !
The link says "A Proud Tradition" but then doesn't say what any of the traditions are!!

Unless the tradition refers to the VC winners? Because the RLC (and forming corps) hasn't won a VC in quite some time. If this is the only tradition then it's not being upheld- and it's probably unreasonable to ask people to uphold it.

Face it, we're shite. Even the RAF has more tradition than us.

Chibber said:

RLC traditions

The link says "A Proud Tradition" but then doesn't say what any of the traditions are!!

Unless the tradition refers to the VC winners? Because the RLC (and forming corps) hasn't won a VC in quite some time. If this is the only tradition then it's not being upheld- and it's probably unreasonable to ask people to uphold it.

Face it, we're shite. Even the RAF has more tradition than us.
On that note then, why not at the start of a mess dinner etc, all sing (to the tune of "make em laugh")

"We are shite, we are shite
Got no history or traditions
We are shite"
"We are shite we are shite we are shite"