Traditions of Alcohol within the Army

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by cheap seats, Jan 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am giving a group presentation of alcohol within the British Forces and I am looking at covering a bit of background history of booze and its association with soldiers through the years. I only need a few interesting facts, but my attempts of google sarching are proving fruitless. If anyone has any good knowledge, anecdotes or know of any web sites, please let me know, Thanks!

2. I can pour a pint of Wobbly down my bellend with a funnel.

3. Why not do the sportsman double of booze and hookers, German, squaddies, for the consumtion and use of!

4. Used to know a bloke who could stretch his foreskin over the neck of a pint glass (connection with alcohol), & stretch his ballbag up to touch his nipples. Went down a storm with the Wives Club!

5. I though Blairs New Model Army where too PC to Booze.
    john
    Not like my day of course.

6. Cheap seats,

A bit of military booze history. During WW1, when Tommy was entitled to his ration of rum, it was brought up to the front in those earthenware stone jars that people collect now at antique fairs. The military jars were normally stamped with "S.R.D" There are a number of interpretations of S.R.D the one that seems closest to the truth is "Service Rations Department". However Tommy as always had his own:

"Seldom Reaches Destination"
    "Sergeant Ruddy Drunk"

There was I believe a British Division in WW1, that was not allowed its rum ration on account of the GOC being a tee-totaler. I believe it was the 33 Div but may be wrong on that.

Another witty ditty, involves the men of one of the battalions of the Leinster Regt, in India at the turn of the 20th Centuary. They are parading prior to embarking onto a troop ship to take them home after an 8 year stint in India. They have been out heavily on the piss the night before as a Bn. Whilst forming up on parade they are doing the "From the right, Number" thingy. As the shouts reach the end of a line you hear "Forty eight, Forty nine, Forty -TEN Last man SIR!" due to the fact that he is still minging! From then on the Leinsters were known as the "Forty-Tens".

FM

7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I drank a bottle of Tequila one night and shagged a really fat German bird. Hope this helps!

8. It is a way of forgetting what you have seen and a wake for the lads you have left behind. How often have we have we got bladdered after some after some conflict and we are far enough back from the lines to let of a bit of steam, and people wonder why soldiers get drunk.

9. We were at a blokes wedding up in Doncaster a fair few years back and the blokes were caning it down their necks, one of the barmaids asked why we drank so much, the simple answer came back ''Because we can''.
    Pretty much summed it up for me.

10. :?:Is there still a rum issue in extreme cold weather/

11. PORT, IPA and Gin and Tonic!!!

The army is responsible for Port. The army has always liked its booze but the problem for the British Army in India was that wine could not be kept in the hot climate. Fortifying wine with brandy stops the fermentation process and increases the alcohol content. Most importantly for us it could be stored in the hostile Indian climate. It was not appropriate to obtain wine from France as we were at war with them at the time so we sourced the wine from our oldest ally, Portugal - hence "Port"

Similarly India Pale or IPA. This distinct style of beer is characterized as a sparkling pale ale with a slightly higher level of alcohol and hops than a typical Pale Ale; the hops lending it a distinct bitterness. This triumph was the result of tremendous efforts by British brewers to overcome the same problem, beer, like wine did not keep well on long ocean voyages, especially into hot climates. These hot environments resulted in the arrival of flat, sour beer. Before refrigeration and pasteurization, the brewer's only weapons against spoilage were alcohol and hops. Alcohol and hops provide an unfriendly environment for microbes, preventing the growth of the bacteria that cause sourness. Therefore high alcohol content and high hopping rates could protect beer from the souring associated with long storage times.

Thus the British Army was provided with Port Wine for the Officers and beer for the men (the SNCO's enjoying both).

Indian Tonic Water is a carbonated soft drink flavoured with quinine. The drink gains its name from the medicinal effects of this bitter flavoring. The quinine was added to the drink as a prophylactic against malaria, since it was originally intended for consumption in tropics where that disease is endemic. Soldiers in India did not particularly enjoy tonic water but found that its taste was greatly improved by the addition of gin.

12. Of course there is!

The medical profession have recognised the benefit of alcohol combined with cold weather prevents hypothermia :roll:

13. Whatever happened to Newcastle Amber?

14. Geordie_blerk's got her buried under the garage!

15. Most welcome on one extremely wet night on Soltau,'65.Rum was in a big jar,protected by whickerwork basket.Transmission decks and radiators up,sheet over the top,dried out in about 30 mins.(Mk.6 Cent.)