Traditional Recruitment Areas

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Champ95, Mar 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello there,

I've just started the process of becoming an officer in the Army(I've got my AOSB Briefing in September). My choice of Corps is the RAC, and choice of regiment would be the QRH. Now I'm not from London or Ireland, and I was wondering whether regiments within the RAC still stick by there 'Traditional Recruitment Areas'? I chose QRH because I'm fascinated by there history and what there doing now. I just hope my location, North-West of England, won't hinder my chances?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

2. You can join anybody you like and it doesn´t matter where you come from,as long as they´ve got positions to fill that is!
  3. I fear for the Empire if this is the standard of English of future army officers.

4. Nonsense! As long as he can grasp the concept of mixing as many incompatible uniform items together he'll fit right in.
  5. You are right. When the President of the U.S. and the erstwhile prime minister of the UK can say, 'safe haven' in their speeches then a few there/their/they're is insignificant. I still groan when I hear 'added bonus''still extant' and a few other though.
  6. What's wrong with "safe haven"?

Haven means Harbour, which is not necessarily a place of safety, especially if it is full of enemy ships. If someone was granted safe haven, then they were being assured that they would not be attacked whilst they were in harbour.
  7. He didn't describe the QRH as 'very unique', there's hope for him and his dear little chequered trousers yet...
  8. Uniform items? Surely the challenge is to mix as many non-uniform items in... (And stop calling me Shirley!)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  9. Ignoring the there/their/they're chat, I'll have a go at answering your question.

While potential soldiers are normally guided towards the regiments that recruit from their home areas, this is normally not the case for officers. Therefore while there are inevitably a few QRH officers from Northern Ireland or the midlands, most are not; likewise, while many SCOTS DG or QDG officers might claim a connection to Scotland or Wales, many (most even perhaps) come from elsewhere in the UK (or abroad).

This means that there should be nothing to stop you applying to join the QRH. From a regimental perspective, you will probably need to go for an interview with the Colonel of the Regiment (normally a retired Brigadier or General), followed (if successful) by a potential officer visit to the regiment for a week or so. During the visit to the regiment, you will have the opportunity to see the regiment close up and meet the soldiers and officers and likewise for them to meet you; if you like them and they like you, they will probably provisionally offer you a place, subject to your passing AOSB, etc. and you performance at Sandhurst.
  10. While I must admit to having done (or perhaps overdone) the 'unusual cav uniform' thing when I was a subbie; in the light of a few years of wider army experience, I cannot help but think that by behaving in this way young RAC officers are not showing themselves in the most positive light and further, run the risk of not being taken seriously. While some "cavalry style/panache/elan/etc." is important and sets us aside from other parts of the army, it is vitally important that our professionalism clearly shines through in order to prevent young cavalry officers being seen as bumbling buffoons (which by and large they are certainly not).

The advice/direction I tend to have given to RAC subalterns/junior Capts working for me is: "Professionalism before Panache" (sadly, I can't claim credit for this term). By I mean that before a young officer starts to 'show of his individualism' by wearing funny uniform combinations in camp and white shirts and service dress hats on exercise, I want him to prove that he is fully proficient at his job. Once he has mastered his job to the point that he garners professional respect from his soldiers and fellow officers, then he can start to worry about adding a bit of dash and individual flair, but never at the cost of his professional reputation. He should also consider his audience; while Bde/BG/Coy Comds from some regiments may be able to appreciate a bit of "cavalry flair" while also seeing through it to the professionalism beneath, others (who are perhaps less well versed with the cavalry culture) will not and will take him for a fool.

Just my thoughts...
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Very sound advice. Have you shared it with the Yeomanry? They can be a bit funny about this sort of thing (or used to).
  12. I remember the RWxY in particular being described as "More cav than the cav" in this respect. I don't know whether this is still true (I most recently heard it 3 or 4 years ago).

Interestingly perhaps, you also see a tendency to try to emulate the 'cavalry stereotype' among a certain section of young (and some not so young) gunner officers.
  13. Well indeed. The crux of the matter is to differentiate between a throwaway comment on Arrse and how one actually handles one's self...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)