Tradition?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by fertman, Apr 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recently I've noticed several places offering 'Traditional English Breakfast', including hash browns on the menu. Much as I like them, how long have hash browns been traditional? Since McD's started offering them as part of their fascist breakfasts? ( No, you can't have a burger, only this muck)

2. Traditions have got to start somewhere, I suppose. Let's all start using peanut butter instead of marmalade, why not?

Now that I think about it. why do we have a specific type of jam that's only for breakfast and look at people who eat it any other time as if they're a bit strange?

3. Hash browns started out in life as a Swiss dish called Rosti (allegedly).

4. Almost any English person would accept ‘bully’ as a synonym for ‘Fascist'
    How do Maccy Dees bully you into buying their breakfasts? Are you a weak person? I bet you luv it up ya. 8O 8O 8O

5. Very true along with Hamburgers (Frickadillen) hotdogs(Brattys) and just about every other "American" food, all really traditional europion foods

6. Some of the sales sh*t we have to suffer these days is risible. The thing is, those spouting it don't even give it a thought anymore that it might be misleading. One of the most common is "Home Cooked Food". This means "Ping" meals purchased in bulk from a frozen food supplier, not fresh food prepared on the premises.

7. Well, that's just sloppy work by the chefs then isn't it. At least it's not pubic hair though.

8. [​IMG]
    Note to UKIP voters: not just Septic spuds but a sinister side order of croissant!

9. Frickadillen??? Is that the word for the entire sub-species of burger then.

We'll hear David Attenbrough commenting on them in his new series 'Life in the kitchen'

'Huge herds of Frickadillen attempt to escape the Grillus-Warmus, but, alas not all are successful. This one, unfortunately, will suffer the same fate as Tomaticus-tastiatum and Letti-leavus and be forced into Bunno-rollo before disappearing forever.............Life, in this kitchen, is a constant struggle for survival'

10. Almost any English person would accept ‘bully’ as a synonym for ‘Fascist'

Which reminds me. I got a nice anti Bullying wristband - I took it off a fat ginger kid with glasses!

11. frikadellen = http://frikadellen.delectation.de/

Frickadillen = http://bloggterrier.blogspot.com/2010/03/frickadillen.html

12. As it was a thread on the full English it thought it was a reference to Bully Beef. Got to agree with the hash browns, why oh why do we have to have them, sliced potatoes yes, hash browns NO.

My perfect English is:

2 Sausages (decent ones not tesco's lips and hooves)
    2 Rashers of bacon ( again decent not that water filled shite you normally get)
    1 fried egg
    1 grilled tomato
    Decent spoonful of mushrooms
    Spoonful of beans
    Spoonful of sliced tatties (fried)
    Bread and butter to mop up with.
    Cup of coffee
    Brown sauce

Bugger bloody hungry now.

13. Surely a true traditional breakfast should contain Devilled Kidneys, smoked kippers and kedgeree?

14. I have yet to see anywhere that sells boiled frying sausage in a bun.

As for Hamburgers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger

15. [quote="re-stilly

As it was a thread on the full English it thought it was a reference to Bully Beef. Got to agree with the hash browns, why oh why do we have to have them, sliced potatoes yes, hash browns NO.

My perfect English is:

2 Sausages (decent ones not tesco's lips and hooves)
    2 Rashers of bacon ( again decent not that water filled shite you normally get)
    1 fried egg
    1 grilled tomato
    Decent spoonful of mushrooms
    Spoonful of beans
    Spoonful of sliced tatties (fried)
    Bread and butter to mop up with.
    Cup of coffee
    Brown sauce

Bugger bloody hungry now.[/quote]

What, no black pudding!?!?!?!?! :x