Trades are cnuts.

A couple of tips
first of all, many YT peeps only show the easy bits, plus they cut out bits where it goes wrong
so to start with tiling
first make sure the wall is smooth and flat, run a length of timber or a spirit level across it, and large bumps chop them out and fill with a hard filler and sand off

then give the wall a coat of PVA mixed 50 50 with water to seal it

next thing, find the centre of each wall you are going to tile, and using a spirit level draw a vertical line
if you are going top to bottom as well, do a central horizontal line
next work out the first row of tiles, not always at the bottom if doing a complete wall, draw a reference line to keep them straight and level, and use panel pins to stop them sliding, once you have put tile cement on
use a proper ridges spatula

next tip the cuts, if you work from the centre the cuts will be identical either side, and it will look symmetrical
now if you have lots of tiles to cut, then first, hire an electric water cooled tile saw
also if tiling over a bath or porcelain, cover the inside of the bath or porcelain with dust sheets and old cardboard, also layers of masking tape to protect the edges for when you drop a tile ( every one does)
Slocums big trade tip
get a sheet of stiff card, then trace around some tiles, then cut yourself a set of cardboard tiles
then you can do the cutting outside where its less messy
use the cardboard tile as a template, much easier to fold and cut to shape, then number it on the wall and on the card
and use the template to draw on the tile, I usually use a pencil, but the saw can wash it off, a wax crayon will hold better, or if a shiny tile a Steinel permanent marker ( wash off with meths, or mark outside the area to be saved)

its all about taking your time and setting out properly
plus dont use wanky little tiles, they are a bastard to cut and wasteful, clean solid colours are best
any tiles left over, put them under the bath or beneath a kickboard in the kitchen
if you need to drill holes for fixing things, cover the area with masking tape, mark with a pencil, then use a proper tile drill once through use a conventional hammer drill bit

if you need to cut curves you cna buy a tile tile, it looks like a fretsaw, but wear safety glasses and gloves as it will spit glass fragments

Simples
and if it seems to go wrong, stop, scrape of the cement, piss of for a cup of tea and tele session and come back to it
Thanks.

Tbh, very little of that sounds simple to me. I've been watching YT and it looks like I could make a right pigs ear of it very easily. But then when I think about the bloke who quoted me £2k to do halfway up the wall around the bath in a very small bathroom...

Thanks.

Tbh, very little of that sounds simple to me. I've been watching YT and it looks like I could make a right pigs ear of it very easily. But then when I think about the bloke who quoted me £2k to do halfway up the wall around the bath in a very small bathroom...
Just put random tiles up and say you are expressing yourself in the new wave of tiling ;)

And the next breaker supplies 3 random double sockets, 7 lights,
Am i to believe that one breaker supplies sockets and lighting. If so not only is it illegal, but also very dangerous, as ring main sockets are on a 32A breaker, and lighting should be on a 5-7A breaker. IEE Regs. The sparkys bible.

1 socket outlet, 1 breaker, nothing wrong with that, should be on a 20A breaker, the're called dedicated circuits.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks.

they need a kick in the gonads
honestly like many things in life, as long as you have the basics set up and the correct tools its not difficult
if you are not too far from me I will give you a hand

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Am i to believe that one breaker supplies sockets and lighting. If so not only is it illegal, but also very dangerous, as ring main sockets are on a 32A breaker, and lighting should be on a 5-7A breaker. IEE Regs. The sparkys bible.

1 socket outlet, 1 breaker, nothing wrong with that, should be on a 20A breaker, the're called dedicated circuits.
you might have a fused connection unit reduction the rating to 5 amps

they need a kick in the gonads
honestly like many things in life, as long as you have the basics set up and the correct tools its not difficult
if you are not too far from me I will give you a hand
Thanks but I'm way across country from you. I shall have to try it for myself.

On the plus side, I can't be the only one in the same boat and therefore choppy wobbly tiling may well become the next shabby chic.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

On the plus side, I can't be the only one in the same boat and therefore choppy wobbly tiling may well become the next shabby chic.
PM me if you need free advice
also speak to the lads at the local builders merchants, they often know useful people, and you can get decent materials there
not the arty farty london shite, but proper materials that will last

D

Deleted 184863

This isn't UK, radial not ring main
The 2 breaker socket; I know why they did it, as it feeds the kitchen. It's on 15A breakers, and under modern code on the wiring due to the distance run and voltage drop, but I'm the only person who plugs things in so I ensure it isn't overloaded.
Everything was grandfathered in. In fact, great-grandfathered in, I think ;)
I had an electrician check it over before I bought the place. There's nothing particularly dangerous, but obviously it needs a complete rewire.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor

I think you'll find I'm the one bailing the infilling water out of that boat. I'm going to try it on Sunday, you're either welcome to start yours as well and we can moan like **** and post pics here for the amusement of others!

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A couple of tips
first of all, many YT peeps only show the easy bits, plus they cut out bits where it goes wrong
so to start with tiling
first make sure the wall is smooth and flat, run a length of timber or a spirit level across it, and large bumps chop them out and fill with a hard filler and sand off

then give the wall a coat of PVA mixed 50 50 with water to seal it

next thing, find the centre of each wall you are going to tile, and using a spirit level draw a vertical line
if you are going top to bottom as well, do a central horizontal line
next work out the first row of tiles, not always at the bottom if doing a complete wall, draw a reference line to keep them straight and level, and use panel pins to stop them sliding, once you have put tile cement on
use a proper ridges spatula

next tip the cuts, if you work from the centre the cuts will be identical either side, and it will look symmetrical
now if you have lots of tiles to cut, then first, hire an electric water cooled tile saw
also if tiling over a bath or porcelain, cover the inside of the bath or porcelain with dust sheets and old cardboard, also layers of masking tape to protect the edges for when you drop a tile ( every one does)
Slocums big trade tip
get a sheet of stiff card, then trace around some tiles, then cut yourself a set of cardboard tiles
then you can do the cutting outside where its less messy
use the cardboard tile as a template, much easier to fold and cut to shape, then number it on the wall and on the card
and use the template to draw on the tile, I usually use a pencil, but the saw can wash it off, a wax crayon will hold better, or if a shiny tile a Steinel permanent marker ( wash off with meths, or mark outside the area to be saved)

its all about taking your time and setting out properly
plus dont use wanky little tiles, they are a bastard to cut and wasteful, clean solid colours are best
any tiles left over, put them under the bath or beneath a kickboard in the kitchen
if you need to drill holes for fixing things, cover the area with masking tape, mark with a pencil, then use a proper tile drill once through use a conventional hammer drill bit

if you need to cut curves you cna buy a tile tile, it looks like a fretsaw, but wear safety glasses and gloves as it will spit glass fragments

Simples
and if it seems to go wrong, stop, scrape of the cement, piss of for a cup of tea and tele session and come back to it

Simple eh?! ******* hell. I'd hate to see it if it was hard....

I done my 5 years apprenticeship, and went straight into the royal signals as a sparks. :soldier: on discharge went straight back into the building and construction trade, now retired after 50.5 years .

Really?

How come you've never mentioned this before?

I think you'll find I'm the one bailing the infilling water out of that boat. I'm going to try it on Sunday, you're either welcome to start yours as well and we can moan like **** and post pics here for the amusement of others!
I wish you well with your endeavours as I'm afraid I'm not ready to have a go yet because I've got to buy the tools etc first and also take the old tiles off, which will no doubt mean more videos on how to patch in plasterboard and more trips to Ridegeons.

I'm still a bit too scared of making a massive mess but I'm looking forward to seeing how things work out for you, either way it'll be most instructional.

Godspeed braveheart, godspeed :salut:

Now you know me..I'm a handy kind of guy. I can turn my skills to most things, and only mildly fail.

However with this full refurb I've had to enlist various trades.

Can I just say that all tradesmen are cnuts?

They either:

1. Charge far, far too much
2. Do a shit job

I've sacked two painters so far, and the third has just been told he's not to come back.

I am willing to pay the price if the quality is there, but sheer ******* greed stop these people from truly being capable of delivering on the goods. I've also found painters are the worst example - all of them seem to be juggling multiple jobs in one day, doing a coat then ******* off, coming back, doing a coat and ******* off etc.

Sheer rush work.

Some examples of lack of attention to detail. This is Farrow & Ball paint as well, not ******* cheap but it's what the missus wants. Take these small examples and multiply it over three floors.

Honestly, just DIY. Fucksake. Two years of disruption to family life, two years of the house upside down, all I need now is a good painter and the carpets down and we're finally ******* done.

The worst of it is, he's easy got another £2k of painting work here, but he's not getting it now, so his greed ultimately costs him.

Just tired and upset. cnuts.

PSA: Not all trades are cnuts clearly, but for the purposes of this post, they are.
Most so called tradesmen have the mindset that they are worth £1k per week....... minimum, regardless of skill level.

Right now it's a drought for good trades. My builder who's been doing the refurb work and has a list of guys, good, reliable guys, has had to work down his list to get someone this side of Autumn. I've chased this guy for some stuff, but today I've just told him he's done. I've learned that if they're shit, they're shit. Doesn't matter how much you stand over them.

The wife and kids go to Portugal on Friday morning. I can't I'm working. Friday evening I'm going to B&Q to get the F&B done in Valspar for the living room and doing the feature wall myself. There's some burst plaster, I'll need to YT how to fix that but I can at least spend the weekend trying to get it perfect.

the sad thing is, young boys and girls could earn really decent money pretty quickly if they took up a trade on leaving school rather than go to Uni. There is clearly a massive need for Trades of all disciplines and as such they can pretty much demand higher wages/fee's. I blame Tony Blair for creating the indoctrination factory industry which devalued 'normal' jobs and produced legions of young'uns with useless degrees, chips on their shoulders and crap work ethics.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
the sad thing is, young boys and girls could earn really decent money pretty quickly if they took up a trade on leaving school rather than go to Uni. There is clearly a massive need for Trades of all disciplines and as such they can pretty much demand higher wages/fee's. I blame Tony Blair for creating the indoctrination factory industry which devalued 'normal' jobs and produced legions of young'uns with useless degrees, chips on their shoulders and crap work ethics.

I can tell you this, I'm glad I spent my time in high school doing forced French lessons rather than joinery or plastering. Really reaping the benefits of that now.

Bonjour, ca'va? Le bof. Commontappelle tou? Je suis Monsieur Bane.

Three years that took me. Well worth it.

I wish you well with your endeavours as I'm afraid I'm not ready to have a go yet because I've got to buy the tools etc first and also take the old tiles off, which will no doubt mean more videos on how to patch in plasterboard and more trips to Ridegeons.

I'm still a bit too scared of making a massive mess but I'm looking forward to seeing how things work out for you, either way it'll be most instructional.

Godspeed braveheart, godspeed :salut:
See, now taking tiles off I can do. That's just wanton destruction.

I'll keep you updated. Take strength from the fact that if I can do it, you can. My track record speaks for itself.

I can tell you this, I'm glad I spent my time in high school doing forced French lessons rather than joinery or plastering. Really reaping the benefits of that now.

Bonjour, ca'va? Le bof. Commontappelle tou? Je suis Monsieur Bane.

Three years that took me. Well worth it.
Sacre bleu, putain d'enfer et merde might come in handy.

Ask me if you want some therapeutic viking swearing.

See, now taking tiles off I can do. That's just wanton destruction.

I'll keep you updated. Take strength from the fact that if I can do it, you can. My track record speaks for itself.
Looking forward to it and will be cheering you on.
mini-graphics-cheerleader-793757.gif

Latest Threads