Trades are cnuts.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Now you know me..I'm a handy kind of guy. I can turn my skills to most things, and only mildly fail.

However with this full refurb I've had to enlist various trades.

Can I just say that all tradesmen are cnuts?

They either:

1. Charge far, far too much
2. Do a shit job

I've sacked two painters so far, and the third has just been told he's not to come back.

I am willing to pay the price if the quality is there, but sheer ******* greed stop these people from truly being capable of delivering on the goods. I've also found painters are the worst example - all of them seem to be juggling multiple jobs in one day, doing a coat then ******* off, coming back, doing a coat and ******* off etc.

Sheer rush work.

Some examples of lack of attention to detail. This is Farrow & Ball paint as well, not ******* cheap but it's what the missus wants. Take these small examples and multiply it over three floors.

Honestly, just DIY. Fucksake. Two years of disruption to family life, two years of the house upside down, all I need now is a good painter and the carpets down and we're finally ******* done.

The worst of it is, he's easy got another £2k of painting work here, but he's not getting it now, so his greed ultimately costs him.

Just tired and upset. cnuts.

PSA: Not all trades are cnuts clearly, but for the purposes of this post, they are.

Attachments

• 16486555282918994866560617268583.jpg
    16486555282918994866560617268583.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 776
  • 16486555508125383665408141996052.jpg
    16486555508125383665408141996052.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 752
  • 16486555981362789108047275821623.jpg
    16486555981362789108047275821623.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 754

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I am semi retired
and flat out, although I only do 3 to 4 days a week, and leave gaps in case things run on
the biggest problem is site labour they want to bish bash bosh, and onto the next one
I usually tell my clients 6 to 8 weeks till I can visit, if they dont want to wait then I dont want them as clients

Now you know me..I'm a handy kind of guy. I can turn my skills to most things, and only mildly fail.

They either:

2. Do a shit job

I've sacked two painters so far, and the third has just been told he's not to come back.

I am willing to pay the price if the quality is there, but sheer ******* greed stop these people from truly being capable of delivering on the goods. I've also found painters are the worst example - all of them seem to be juggling multiple jobs in one day, doing a coat then ******* off, coming back, doing a coat and ******* off etc.

Sheer rush work.

Some examples of lack of attention to detail. This is Farrow & Ball paint as well, not ******* cheap but it's what the missus wants. Take these small examples and multiply it over three floors.

Honestly, just DIY. Fucksake. Two years of disruption to family life, two years of the house upside down, all I need now is a good painter and the carpets down and we're finally ******* done.

The worst of it is, he's easy got another £2k of painting work here, but he's not getting it now, so his greed ultimately costs him.

PSA: Not all trades are cnuts clearly, but for the purposes of this post, they are.
Did he just forget that 'paint should go all the way to the edge'?

I always self-paint, but get someone in to plaster / do electrics (unless it's just changing a plug socket). The Mrs and I have a deal - she will happily go 50:50 on costs to get a professional in or DIY, but if I want to do it myself and then mess it up I pay to fix it.

Works for me, and means that I can escape some of the more tedious social events we're invited to ' "Sorry, but I've got to paint the shed. Again." (that thing may as well be covered in Chobham armour, the amount of coats of Cuprinol it has on it).

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Look for an older tradesman, time served, semi retired
he might take long, as I often do, but work to a fixed price
I have just been wiring a kitchen for an old client, he is not too well, just lost his father, so life is getting on top of him, I bunged in a couple of extra days free, and repaired all the damaged plaster with bonding, then skimmed it for him, so when he comes back it looks half decent, yes I dont earn for that, but its my time and I enjoy my work

The worst paint I've ever used.
Well,
It's usually Johnstones stuff in this house.
The white gloss especially takes a long time to go tainted with UV etc and the CovaPlus is excellent in my opinion,
My Grandfather taught me how to paint properly when I was young...it's one of very few DIY things I'm better at than many trades blokes I've seen.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Look for an older tradesman, time served, semi retired
he might take long, as I often do, but work to a fixed price
I have just been wiring a kitchen for an old client, he is not too well, just lost his father, so life is getting on top of him, I bunged in a couple of extra days free, and repaired all the damaged plaster with bonding, then skimmed it for him, so when he comes back it looks half decent, yes I dont earn for that, but its my time and I enjoy my work
Right now it's a drought for good trades. My builder who's been doing the refurb work and has a list of guys, good, reliable guys, has had to work down his list to get someone this side of Autumn. I've chased this guy for some stuff, but today I've just told him he's done. I've learned that if they're shit, they're shit. Doesn't matter how much you stand over them.

The wife and kids go to Portugal on Friday morning. I can't I'm working. Friday evening I'm going to B&Q to get the F&B done in Valspar for the living room and doing the feature wall myself. There's some burst plaster, I'll need to YT how to fix that but I can at least spend the weekend trying to get it perfect.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
A few years ago I wanted a large hall landing & stairs done.

Four painters didn't even bother replying to messages, including a bloke I used to know.

When I did get one, he was overpriced and did what I would describe an average job and couldn't be bothered to fill in a coule of small dings that would have taken 30s each.

I now do all my own painting. It's slower but I do a better job abd I find it theraputic.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Dulux non-drip gloss white is crap. It doesn't stick properly and peels off even when you have prepped the surface properly.

Dulux professional runs like a bugger as it's liquid but gives a great finish after a couple of coats.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Do you know, I'm not a soft ****, and this isn't something I'd ever have said before, but it's mental health. These people need to understand the impact they have on someone when they see the results.

I absolutely know for a fact MrsB will be in tears when she sees it all tonight. It's not because it's a trainwreck, it's because it falls so short of being perfect and she, as well as me, are just exhausted with everything going on in our lives right now

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A few years ago I wanted a large hall landing & stairs done.

Four painters didn't even bother replying to messages, including a bloke I used to know.

When I did get one, he was overpriced and did what I would describe an average job and couldn't be bothered to fill in a coule of small dings that would have taken 30s each.

I now do all my own painting. It's slower but I do a better job abd I find it theraputic.
I have just sorted out some obscure electrical faults for a new client, and installed some new lighting circuits
I had to cut holes in ceilings and chase walls, he was surprised to discover that I used metal sheathing ( old skool) and let in new plasterboard where i had mouseholed, and then skimmed it ready for sanding and painting
I got lots of cups of tea and cake, and will be asked back
12 sparks were contacted before me
6 never bothered returning the calls, the other 6 arrived ( 2 of them very late) sucked through their teeth and never got back to them ??
now it was a difficult job as the place was rewired 4 years ago by an idiot, done a 6 week course
but perseverance, and honesty, and stating I would charge by the half day worked for me
of course I did not charge all of my time, but then I was taking it easy
sent the bill in, ten minutes later money in my account, along with a nice email
but then I dont drive a 4x4 pick up truck with rappers wheels, I just understand that some jobs will be hard work, but you can learn from each one
tomorrow I am shaping some brass finials to repair some ancient furniture
its all money

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have just sorted out some obscure electrical faults for a new client, and installed some new lighting circuits
I had to cut holes in ceilings and chase walls, he was surprised to discover that I used metal sheathing ( old skool) and let in new plasterboard where i had mouseholed, and then skimmed it ready for sanding and painting
I got lots of cups of tea and cake, and will be asked back
12 sparks were contacted before me
6 never bothered returning the calls, the other 6 arrived ( 2 of them very late) sucked through their teeth and never got back to them ??
now it was a difficult job as the place was rewired 4 years ago by an idiot, done a 6 week course
but perseverance, and honesty, and stating I would charge by the half day worked for me
of course I did not charge all of my time, but then I was taking it easy
sent the bill in, ten minutes later money in my account, along with a nice email
but then I dont drive a 4x4 pick up truck with rappers wheels, I just understand that some jobs will be hard work, but you can learn from each one
tomorrow I am shaping some brass finials to repair some ancient furniture
its all money

As an aside, I pay the same day I get an invoice. Usually no longer than an hour. I've had guys pinging me back saying thanks, it's amazing getting it so quick. I know they sometimes get shafted for their money, 30, 60days etc for the guys doing commerical work. Just... Ffs.

Do you know, I'm not a soft ****, and this isn't something I'd ever have said before, but it's mental health. These people need to understand the impact they have on someone when they see the results.

I absolutely know for a fact MrsB will be in tears when she sees it all tonight. It's not because it's a trainwreck, it's because it falls so short of being perfect and she, as well as me, are just exhausted with everything going on in our lives right now
Take her out for a nice wee Ruby or summat maybe?
Just a thought.

They either:

2. Do a shit job

Sheer rush work.

Jesus wept, that is poor. Even judging by my own lamentable standards...

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Farrow & Ball emulsion is too thick.
You need to thin it by 10% before you use it.
And use a finer pile roller, not a sheepskin one. That's why it has a textured look.

Latest Threads