Trade

Just to be diplomatic,

i belive that all trades are of equal value to each other(tongue firmly in cheek), the question should have been what trade group does the most hours. and in that case it ends up being the VM's

The most important trade is the one that is keeping the kit on the road.

No point having an LAD ful of VMs if the guns on the tanks are all buggered is there?

Likewise with the Sighting system - or if the 'Rover windscreens are all dirty (Well done inst techs:))

We wouldn't get much done if we didn't have Tech Stmn or Recy Mechs either.

But, metalsmiths are surely the most valuable - especially during the barbie season!!

Road?! Road?! Try air, steam boy! You VMs are soooo up yourselves! Salt of the earth you may be but the average radish could pass the entry test at your level! :twisted:

Stained_Eligius said:
Road?! Road?! Try air, steam boy! You VMs are soooo up yourselves! Salt of the earth you may be but the average radish could pass the entry test at your level! :twisted:
Yeah nice hat too

Clearly you're not that bright - I'm Tiffy Wpns.

In the Real REME, 'on the road' is a slang expression for kit that is fit to use.

If you have any further difficulties adapting to the real world, I'm sure people who are promoted on merit not time will help you out.

Stained_Eligius said:
Yeah, thanks for explaining that phrase Nige. Does stating the obvious cover a complete 40 min period on tiffy course now?
Only 40 mins now? - feck me!!!!

Stained old boy,

If you act like a tit, people will treat you like one - 'nuff said? - or perhaps you need that explaining too ;)

Nothing wrong with a bit of steam-baiting, both in the real and internet worlds. It has a long tradition. Ask your lads, they'll have heard of it if you haven't. I, on the other hand, am more than confident that the phrase 'keeping kit on the road' is very widespread throughout the forces. Thanks anyway for the explanation which, as you noticed, lead directly to my sarcastic second post.
Although I wasn't totally sober when I posted the original taunt, I see no reason to retract it. My teddy ain't lying in a corner :mrgreen:

I think we should look to the fact that a lot of so called tradesmen are so bad I wouldnt ask them to fix me a sandwich. FRT crews that take 11 hours to fit CV12 when the old pack was out!!!!!!!!!! 19 hr final drives!!!!!!!!!!! 6 hour APU etc etc, surely we are going wrong somewhere, back to basics I say before spouting whose best. 40 minute period on the Tiffy course, I never hung round that long!

24A, it ain't the FRTs that are the problem, it's the fact that they are not getting the experience required. Some REME officers think we need to spend more time learning how to be soldiers than we do fixing broke stuff.

If the Bns were allowed to train the FRTs in their operational role (fixing stuff) rather than doing crap ITDs, military training, movement exercises etc. than we'd be a lot better off.

We must also ensure that the class 3s are mentored, they neeed to be given training, our VM artisan staffy had to reteach 4 stroke basics to our cl 3 VMs this week, not much of an advert, but hey, they're getting there now.

I am at 1st line by the way, so I'm not trying to defend my patch.

Stained - likewise with BAT baiting ;)

two-four-albert said:
I think we should look to the fact that a lot of so called tradesmen are so bad I wouldnt ask them to fix me a sandwich. FRT crews that take 11 hours to fit CV12 when the old pack was out!!!!!!!!!! 19 hr final drives!!!!!!!!!!! 6 hour APU etc etc, surely we are going wrong somewhere, back to basics I say before spouting whose best. 40 minute period on the Tiffy course, I never hung round that long!
The examples above are obviously worst-case scenario. I am confident for every job that took as long as you outlined above there are 10 that were completed under the ideal repair time. I am also fairly sure there is a lot more to those hand picked examples than meets the eye such as damaged equipments, Spares, Special tools and test equipment etc. In my experience there are more good than bad on the shop floor. Incompetence is in all walks of life but lets not tar every one with the same brush due to 3 problem takings.

Dave

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Royal Signals 7
O Sappers 7
R Aviation 5