Trade training

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Cymru_am_Byth, Mar 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DETAPO training and trade training simultaeneously? Is it a done thing? OK to do it?

It was suggested to me by a SSgt on my BSS/PFM this weekend, is likely that those who make the decisions would let me?
  2. If you can do it, then do it. An understanding of the toms job will help you considerably. We've a couple of DETAPO at the mo and they've less than zero respect compared to the Ex Siggie Lt who then went for a commission.
  3. What do you mean they have less than zero respect? Do they act like they're superior because they want to be officers or something? That kind of attitude is what gives DETAPOs a bad name with certain people. I'm doing my best to be my best (although I still have a lot to learn) and it's annoying when I hear about people like that giving us a sh1t name.

Woundn't it be embarrassing now if I found out polar was in the same unit as me and I was one of the DETAPOs he was talking about? Then again, never heard of an ex-siggie Lt in my unit so I think I'm in the clear!
  4. It can be interesting, heck you may even enjoy it. Some trades in particular can help with the officer training, being very happy with how voice procedure, batco, hf comms works can be very useful when you're swearing at a 351 in the field because you can't get coms with your Coy Comd during module 3 - happens to be something you pick up as a radop in R sigs.

Knowing what it is like to actually build a bridge/road/bar in RE could be useful if later running a RE troop/sqn. A lot of the trade information that you will require you will actually learn on your troop/plt commanders course, but some heads up can help.
  5. Who knows, I may not be telling a 100% truth :lol: :lol:
  6. I see the point in doing a trade, but do you think they'd let me?

It would mean I could go out on exercise and perform a role rather than waiting until I'm commissioned, or for some reason have to drop out of officer training (e.g injury, this would leave me upto 18months behind the recruits I joined with).
  7. Most units are low on personell so anyone wanting to do trade training will probably have their hand bitten off.
  8. I'm in a Ptarmigan regiment, so I've looked at ED and Radio Relay. Any good?

I've just got to convince someone to let me to do it.
  9. CAB - You will have enough on your plate with TAOCC, never mind doing trade training. If you are not 100% for TAOCC you will fail it. Think carefully about what you want to do.
  10. I'm a student, and would like the DETAPO course every weekend but it isn't. Of course the DETAPO course would have to come first, but what about the 2 or 3 other weekends I have free every month - they are just going to waste.

You could say I could be doing something else valuable, but isn't learning what the troops do a help when you are commissioned?

I don't really have family or work commitments, and as long as it doesn't interfere with any brigade training I do, I don't see how I would manage to get too much on my plate.
  11. I want to put 100% into the full TA life. I go to drill nights and sometimes I feel a bit lost as I'm neither trade trained soldier or officer. And I also want to get involved in weekend exercises, I've told I can, but what can I do without getting trade trained?
  12. I used to advise Radio Relay but you'll cover parts of that on your troopies course and you'll work quite closely with Relays and Systems Ops whilst in Node Command (so you'll pick up a lot on exercises)

ED is no use whatsoever

That only leaves RS Op, you'll be taught subjects suchs as Voice Procedure, which will be far more useful in your career as an officer, also give you a far more rounded knowledge.