trade in civvie street

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by pentopjim, Dec 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. im waiting to join the corps as a sparky. what im curious about is, do you have to do a resettlement course in your trade when you leave? the reason i ask is that as a sapper you obviously have your resposibilities as a soldier and a combat engineer, where as a sparky in civvie street is just that. it dont really make a difference to me im just curious
  2. That curious you posted twice ??
  3. bit pissed
  4. Does that make him bi curious ?
  5. Yeah, sparkys in civvy street don't have to be trained, pass examinations or bear any responsibility for their work. In fact they just throw wires in and collect the cash.
  6. what i meant was a sparky in civvie street is doing it day in day out so he can concentrate on that where as sapper has got to take on many other skills and tasks so does he have to get re qualified before he leaves to be on the same level as the civvie sparky whos been doing nothing but that for years
  7. Astonishingly being a sparky is quite an undertaking, there's a lot of legislation that you have to understand and keep up to date with plus if you are self employed you need to do your accounts and VAT, trade insurance and professional memberships to maintain, in between all that you have to go out and get work and find time to do it.
  8. CQMS, curiously in my house all the electrical installation work was done prior to Part P. Even socket changes etc I did last week.
  9. Funny that, so was mine.
  10. Nope, you do not have to and should not have to do any sparky courses (apart from a Part P qualification) when you leave. No point, you should be qualified to a higher level than most Sparkys on the outside (at the end of your class 1 course), however if you want to carry it on in CivDiv your speed on site will be slower than a civvy sparky. That will just come with time and experience as you indicated a civvy sparky will be doing it day in day out.

    Surprised to see how helpfull the other posters were :roll:

  11. i was a sparky in the corps & did nebosh as resettlement because there was no electrical courses left for me to do less hnd or hnc. you will be well qualified IF you pass the course for civ div do not worry.
  12. It would be worth your time and effort to take a more active interest in your trade than just what the army requires of you.Push to do any courses that you can that are associated with your trade or could be of any benefit at all.

    You may well be highly qualified as a brickie,chippy or sparky in the Royal Engineers....but its not uncommon for a lot of tradesmen to hardly ever touch their main trade and be employed either as a combat engineer or a driver for the bulk of the time.

    You will be competing against civilian tradesmen who are possibly lower qualified on paper, but could be hugely more experienced.

    On a side note, I had to spend my entire resettlement grant on getting a CPCS licence for being a Banksman/Slinger and mobile crane operator even though I had been a RE crane operator for the best part of 10 years....the military were and are still not offically affiliated to the CPCS scheme.
  13. last 3 replies helpful. thanks alot. like i said it doesnt really make a difference, im set on being a sapper but its nice to have a bit of insight. cheers
  14. in regards to getting a bit more experiance in your trade while in the army, is it easy to get a bit of weekend work or work whilst on leave? because i know experiance counts for everything in that line of work, and you can earn a bit of extra cash. i knw this question is a bit like"how longs a piece of string?" but what are peoples experiances?
  15. depends how good you are fella, no-one will let you loose in their house if you are p1sh