trade in civvie street

im waiting to join the corps as a sparky. what im curious about is, do you have to do a resettlement course in your trade when you leave? the reason i ask is that as a sapper you obviously have your resposibilities as a soldier and a combat engineer, where as a sparky in civvie street is just that. it dont really make a difference to me im just curious

Yeah, sparkys in civvy street don't have to be trained, pass examinations or bear any responsibility for their work. In fact they just throw wires in and collect the cash.

CQMS said:
Yeah, sparkys in civvy street don't have to be trained, pass examinations or bear any responsibility for their work. In fact they just throw wires in and collect the cash.
what i meant was a sparky in civvie street is doing it day in day out so he can concentrate on that where as sapper has got to take on many other skills and tasks so does he have to get re qualified before he leaves to be on the same level as the civvie sparky whos been doing nothing but that for years

Astonishingly being a sparky is quite an undertaking, there's a lot of legislation that you have to understand and keep up to date with plus if you are self employed you need to do your accounts and VAT, trade insurance and professional memberships to maintain, in between all that you have to go out and get work and find time to do it.

Nope, you do not have to and should not have to do any sparky courses (apart from a Part P qualification) when you leave. No point, you should be qualified to a higher level than most Sparkys on the outside (at the end of your class 1 course), however if you want to carry it on in CivDiv your speed on site will be slower than a civvy sparky. That will just come with time and experience as you indicated a civvy sparky will be doing it day in day out.

Surprised to see how helpfull the other posters were :roll:

pentopjim said:
im waiting to join the corps as a sparky. what im curious about is, do you have to do a resettlement course in your trade when you leave? the reason i ask is that as a sapper you obviously have your resposibilities as a soldier and a combat engineer, where as a sparky in civvie street is just that. it dont really make a difference to me im just curious

pentopjim said:
i was a sparky in the corps & did nebosh as resettlement because there was no electrical courses left for me to do less hnd or hnc. you will be well qualified IF you pass the course for civ div do not worry.

It would be worth your time and effort to take a more active interest in your trade than just what the army requires of you.Push to do any courses that you can that are associated with your trade or could be of any benefit at all.

You may well be highly qualified as a brickie,chippy or sparky in the Royal Engineers....but its not uncommon for a lot of tradesmen to hardly ever touch their main trade and be employed either as a combat engineer or a driver for the bulk of the time.

You will be competing against civilian tradesmen who are possibly lower qualified on paper, but could be hugely more experienced.

On a side note, I had to spend my entire resettlement grant on getting a CPCS licence for being a Banksman/Slinger and mobile crane operator even though I had been a RE crane operator for the best part of 10 years....the military were and are still not offically affiliated to the CPCS scheme.

last 3 replies helpful. thanks alot. like i said it doesnt really make a difference, im set on being a sapper but its nice to have a bit of insight. cheers

in regards to getting a bit more experiance in your trade while in the army, is it easy to get a bit of weekend work or work whilst on leave? because i know experiance counts for everything in that line of work, and you can earn a bit of extra cash. i knw this question is a bit like"how longs a piece of string?" but what are peoples experiances?

I think you'll struggle to find a job just for weekends IMHO, it's hard enough out there for sparks that are doing it day in day out with contacts and mates on different sites/jobs. In regards to leave i imagine you could sign up with an agency for a couple of weeks, but again that's dependent on them having work, plus you'll be last in the queue, and agency sparks generally get given the shitty jobs, like snagging. Thats my experience anyhow. And you'd have to be registered self employed, and i don't know if you can get CIS registered if your currently PAYE.

Best if you can do a few odd jobs for mates/family/neighbours etc. Plus sparking in people's houses is different ball game to an industrial or commercial install for example so you've got to get experience in all areas to be useful but that'll come with time.

You can have my job though, providing i pass my AOSB main board next month :p

I have seen several ex RE tradesmen more than cut it on civvy sites. 2 years back I went on a site visit to a social housing site in London, the site manager was an ex Royal Engineer LCpl. I wish people would quit dumbing us down.

Plant if your somewhat inferring that my post was demeaning towards ex RE tradesman you've got the wrong end of the stick. I imagine your are trained to a higher standard than your average civvie sparks and having a work ethic that is shaped by a military culture is a big plus to. But you've got to remember knowing your trade is half the game if your self employed. If your on the books with a firm it's a different matter, but it's pretty hard to get a job like that at present. Everyone wants you to be self employed as you can be hired and fired on a days notice, giving the employer a huge flexibility in managing his labour pool. It's shit for your average sparks but thats just how it is. And i was giving my opinion on how easy he'd find it to get work on a pretty ad hoc basis, i.e occasional weekends and leave periods. I would be off the opinion that potential employers look at ex RE tradesman as big plus when looking for full time work but it's a different kettle of fish if your just looking to do it every now and then.

plant_life said:
I have seen several ex RE tradesmen more than cut it on civvy sites. 2 years back I went on a site visit to a social housing site in London, the site manager was an ex Royal Engineer LCpl. I wish people would quit dumbing us down.
I'll back you up on that one. I've met a lot of ex-RE lads since leaving and they seam to do well. Although they don't all follow their trade, like myself.

I met a lad of my B1 working offshore as a sparkie for RBG, which was good to see. He was an A1 sparkie. Also one of the chief mechanics on a rig crew I was with was an ex-POM.

One lad who I went to my first posting with was a fitter gen and now works as an HVAC type bloke. Interestingly him and his other workmates spend intensive time grafting 7 days a week for months, then fcuk off to Thailand for ages. Another lad from my first troop who is an ex-RE sparkie, set up a little operation with another sparkie lad he knew when he got out, and they travel down to London each week to graft doing cable pulling. Then come home on the weekends. They make a decent wedge doing that.

I could go on with loads more, but you get the general idea.

Its rare that you will leave the corps a time served ready to rock n roll tradesman, but you'll have a headstart on most, and the quals usually in the bag allready.

Latest Threads