Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade Deals

Yokel

LE
UK and Kenya secure a trade agreement

As the largest economy in East Africa and among the top 10 across the continent, Kenya is an important trading partner for the UK. This deal also recognises the importance of the wider region - other members of the East African Community trade block are able to join the agreement when they are ready.

Unfortunately Kenya is already in China’s pocket. They have been heavily involved in the road program and financed the railway lines between the coast and Nairobi, and now up to Naivasha.

There has been discontent over the fact that the Chinese may well now hold control over the port of Mombasa, which it is suspected is ‘collateral’ for these mega loans, which Kenya is unlikely to be able to pay back.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Unsurprisingly, it's still a short thread :cool:

Only because the fifty odd that have already been signed have been ignored by the media.

Will the Republic of Korea follow Japan's agreement? What of agreement with Canada, Australia, and New Zealand? When we know which old geezer while occupy the White House for the next few years, will the trade deal be forthcoming?

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
52 independent trade deals and counting.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
If you subtracted from the above list those countries that we already had trade details with through membership of the EU - how many would be left? In other words, what's the net gain here? I suspect it might be what Mr Rees-Mogg would describe as "thin gruel".

Truxx

LE
Only because the fifty odd that have already been signed have been ignored by the media.

Will the Republic of Korea follow Japan's agreement? What of agreement with Canada, Australia, and New Zealand? When we know which old geezer while occupy the White House for the next few years, will the trade deal be forthcoming?
50 plus eh?

That's quite a few more than the EU have actually managed as I recall.

And one of those they list is us (the UK)

If you subtracted from the above list those countries that we already had trade details with through membership of the EU - how many would be left? In other words, what's the net gain here? I suspect it might be what Mr Rees-Mogg would describe as "thin gruel".

We don't have to pay billions for these trade deals. None of those countries can make our laws for us either.

And we don't have to accept millions of random migrants with those deals.

Never mind the principle benefit:

1d.jpg

Any net gain will increase over time.

Also, net fiscal gain on not paying the Brussels cartel.

Not forgetting that hysteria over business exodus......which never happened.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
We don't have to pay billions for these trade deals. None of those countries can make our laws for us either.

And we don't have to accept millions of random migrants with those deals.

Never mind the principle benefit:

View attachment 517641

I should perhaps have been clearer. I wasn't referring to the EU27 but to the other countries with whom we already had trade deals through EU membership.

But a Blue Passport? Makes it worth all the pain.

I wasn't referring to the EU27 but to the other countries with whom we already had trade deals through EU membership.

Sure, but we couldn't have those trade deals without all the catches, which were a price not worth paying.

For evidence, we can have similar or even better trade deals without those catches, bearing in mind that only a handful of the EU deals were really worth anything anyway.

Someone much more knowledgeable than me, an ex customs type I believe, posted an eye watering breakdown of how much we actually pay the EU.

Not just the annual "membership costs" but the billions more that are raked off in customs dues and VAT receipts.

As I say the figures are stunning....

J

Canada say they expect a trade deal with the UK to be done before the end of the year.
Trudeau says he expects trade deal with U.K. can be done before 2021

The PMs of Canada and the UK spoke earlier this week and both agree that a deal should be done before the new year. The issue at present seems to be that the UK are tied up with negotiating with the EU, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and the US and so haven't had the "bandwidth" to finish the deal with Canada.

"Canada is a really easy one — we're there for it, we'd like to do it, so I'm very hopeful that it's going to get done, but that is really up to the U.K. government," Trudeau said.

The prime minister said the greatest challenge is "bandwidth" within the British government, which started the year working not only on a trade agreement with the EU, but also agreements with the United States, Australia, Japan and New Zealand. (...)

"So there is an issue of not really having the bandwidth within government to move forward on this."

Trudeau said that the trade deal with Canada should be "a really easy one" as parts of it can simply be copied from the CETA deal. Trudeau also said: "We're there for it. We'd like to do it, I'm very hopeful that it's going to get done, but that really is up to the U.K. government because we're there for it. I just hope they can come around to it."
He added the British government wants to show that it can negotiate free trade deals and calls Canada's "a really easy one" to move on. He noted that parts of the trade deal with Europe could just be rolled into a new deal with the U.K. once it is no longer part of the European bloc.

"We're there for it. We'd like to do it," Trudeau said.

"I'm very hopeful that it's going to get done, but that really is up to the U.K. government because we're there for it. I just hope they can come around to it."

The above was part of a discussion hosted by the FT digitally. Here's the video where the above was discussed. The relevant part starts at 4:20.

Canada and the UK have agreed to an interim trade deal.
Canada, U.K. strike transitional post-Brexit trade deal
It's being called the Canada-United Kingdom Trade Continuity Agreement.
The Canada-United Kingdom Trade Continuity Agreement extends the elimination of tariffs on 98 per cent of goods exported between the two countries and sets the stage for negotiations toward a permanent and more ambitious deal in the new year. The deal could include "the potential to go further in areas like digital trade, the environment and women's economic empowerment," a release from the British government said.

It extends more or less the current CETA deal terms to cover the period beyond the beginning of 2021. I say "more or less", because there are apparently some items that are different due to lack of time to work out the details on certain politically sensitive items. Cheese was one item mentioned. At this point however the exceptions appear to be relatively minor, although the text of the agreement hasn't been released yet.

It is called a Trade Continuity Agreement because the plan is to next year start working on a much more comprehensive trade deal that goes well beyond the CETA deal with the EU. "Digital goods" was one item mentioned, although again there were few details.

The article contains a couple of videos which the ARRSE site software will not let me embed directly, so click on the news story link to see them.

One of the videos consists of the two PMs and the two trade ministers making the announcement over their respective video links. It's an absolute love fest and it's probably just as well that it was a video conference, otherwise I suspect that Johnson and Trudeau would have been snogging on the couch before they got to the end of the announcement. None the less, I would suggest watching it.

Both countries face a tight parliamentary calendar to pass the necessary supporting legislation before the end of the year. The main opposition parties in Canada support the treaty in principle. Their main complaint so far has been that it should have been done sooner.

Here's the official news release from Canada's foreign affairs ministry about the Canada-United Kingdom Trade Continuity Agreement. There's very little detail.

Here's the UK's news release.

Both mention that this is an interim agreement to roll over the CETA terms while the two work on a more comprehensive agreement more closely tailored to the relationship between the two countries.

Published by: Joe Barnes, Brussels Correspondent, The EXPRESS, on Wednesday 25 November 2020.

Barnier ORDERS Frost to budge or EU chief will CANCEL crunch Brexit meeting in London.

MICHEL Barnier has threatened to call off Brexit trade talks in London this week unless Boris Johnson caves in on fishing.

The Brussels diplomat has told Lord Frost he will not travel to the capital for another “Groundhog Day” round of talks on post-Brexit fishing rights and common standards, according to EU sources. He wants guarantees that his UK counterpart is prepared to budge before committing to further weekend of negotiations. Mr Barnier was said to have issued the ultimatum after growing frustrated with the lack of progress over the main sticking points.

In online talks, he said his team would only travel to London if they believed a deal was possible by next week.

Both sides were forced to hold negotiations via video link after a coronavirus outbreak in the EU’s team.

But the bloc’s negotiators were expected to return to the Capital to resume face-to-face meetings after a period of self-isolation.

It was said Mr Barnier had grown frustrated after a number of “pointless” discussions in which his UK counterpart had refused to agree to the bloc’s demands.

An EU source said: “The British are frankly laughing at us, time is very short. If nothing moves in London we risk going towards no deal.”

Another insider added the Brussels diplomat had made “no decision” on whether to resume in-person wrangling after talks were halted because of a coronavirus scare.

His warning came as European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen said the wrangling over the EU-UK future relationship could still end in failure.

The European Commission chief said an agreement was far from certain because of the disputes over access to Britain’s coastal waters and common standards, including state aid.

Britain is still refusing to sign up to follow the bloc’s evolving standards and offer European fishermen sufficient guarantees for opportunities, she said.

Mrs von der Leyen said: “These are decisive days for our negotiations with the United Kingdom. But, frankly I cannot tell you today if, in the end, there will be a deal.

“However, there's still three issues that can make the difference between a deal and no deal.

“We will do all in our power to reach an agreement, we're ready to be creative.”

She insisted the EU would have to support a “compromise” at next month’s summit of leaders if they are to get the agreement over the line.

“It is when we managed to join forces that we Europeans can achieve the most. It is when we negotiate hard, and then stick to the compromise found that we move forward fast,” she said.

French President Emmanuel Macron is still holding out for the near-parity access to Britain’s fishing waters.

His hardline stance risks scuppering chances of a Brexit compromise being reached in the coming days.

French MEP Nathalie Loiseau said: “Much progress has been made. But there are still important disagreements, and the UK must move on them.

“In the same way that we are preparing for reciprocal access to our markets, the UK must accept reciprocal access to our waters for our fishermen.”

1606400597375.png

[photo: Michel Barnier is a former French fisheries minister. Image: EXPRESS].

Note: I did NOT know that "Michel Barnier is a former French fisheries minister" !! ;) .

Posted on: the "what-now-for-the-eu" thread; and, the "trade-deals" thread.

Published by: Joe Barnes, Brussels Correspondent, The EXPRESS, on Wednesday 25 November 2020.

Barnier ORDERS Frost to budge or EU chief will CANCEL crunch Brexit meeting in London.

MICHEL Barnier has threatened to call off Brexit trade talks in London this week unless Boris Johnson caves in on fishing.

The Brussels diplomat has told Lord Frost he will not travel to the capital for another “Groundhog Day” round of talks on post-Brexit fishing rights and common standards, according to EU sources. He wants guarantees that his UK counterpart is prepared to budge before committing to further weekend of negotiations. Mr Barnier was said to have issued the ultimatum after growing frustrated with the lack of progress over the main sticking points.

In online talks, he said his team would only travel to London if they believed a deal was possible by next week.

Both sides were forced to hold negotiations via video link after a coronavirus outbreak in the EU’s team.

But the bloc’s negotiators were expected to return to the Capital to resume face-to-face meetings after a period of self-isolation.

It was said Mr Barnier had grown frustrated after a number of “pointless” discussions in which his UK counterpart had refused to agree to the bloc’s demands.

An EU source said: “The British are frankly laughing at us, time is very short. If nothing moves in London we risk going towards no deal.”

Another insider added the Brussels diplomat had made “no decision” on whether to resume in-person wrangling after talks were halted because of a coronavirus scare.

His warning came as European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen said the wrangling over the EU-UK future relationship could still end in failure.

The European Commission chief said an agreement was far from certain because of the disputes over access to Britain’s coastal waters and common standards, including state aid.

Britain is still refusing to sign up to follow the bloc’s evolving standards and offer European fishermen sufficient guarantees for opportunities, she said.

Mrs von der Leyen said: “These are decisive days for our negotiations with the United Kingdom. But, frankly I cannot tell you today if, in the end, there will be a deal.

“However, there's still three issues that can make the difference between a deal and no deal.

“We will do all in our power to reach an agreement, we're ready to be creative.”

She insisted the EU would have to support a “compromise” at next month’s summit of leaders if they are to get the agreement over the line.

“It is when we managed to join forces that we Europeans can achieve the most. It is when we negotiate hard, and then stick to the compromise found that we move forward fast,” she said.

French President Emmanuel Macron is still holding out for the near-parity access to Britain’s fishing waters.

His hardline stance risks scuppering chances of a Brexit compromise being reached in the coming days.

French MEP Nathalie Loiseau said: “Much progress has been made. But there are still important disagreements, and the UK must move on them.

“In the same way that we are preparing for reciprocal access to our markets, the UK must accept reciprocal access to our waters for our fishermen.”

View attachment 523899
[photo: Michel Barnier is a former French fisheries minister. Image: EXPRESS].

Note: I did NOT know that "Michel Barnier is a former French fisheries minister" !! ;) .

Posted on: the "what-now-for-the-eu" thread; and, the "trade-deals" thread.
Heard opinions elsewhere that Brussels may consider Johnson weak and prone to backing down. Also Sturgeon's fervour for the EU and talks with Barnier have been cited as damaging our position.

Yokel

LE
How much trade do we do with Norway and Iceland?

Both are strategically located in terms of a new Cold War and tensions in the GIUK gap and the high north. Norway is our neighbour across the North Sea and has many shared national interests with us. Both Iceland and Norway are likely to be sympathetic to our desire to control our fishing grounds.

Both are strategically located in terms of a new Cold War and tensions in the GIUK gap and the high north. Norway is our neighbour across the North Sea and has many shared national interests with us. Both Iceland and Norway are likely to be sympathetic to our desire to control our fishing grounds.
It's real significance is probably that it establishes the principle, that a "Copy & Paste" of an EU agreement with Third Parties, enables the UK to CONTINUE (see title !), trading as it is doing now.

DELETE : EU
INSERT : UK

A quick google says that UK trade with Norway is about the same as with Japan, which puts Norway at #12 among UK trading partners.

Latest Threads