Trade Choice

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Douthy, Jan 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, first post but have been reading for quite some time.

Anyway, i've finally got the ball rolling as to joining up but im still uncertain as to what to join up as. I wanted to be an Officer but due to family issues i had to drop out of my second year of Sixth Form and was dead set on joining an Infantry Regiment. Unfortunately i do not have full A Levels and can therefore not join as an Officer but i would still like a combat role, however i would also like a trade attached that would increase my employability after leaving. Anyway, enough waffle :D, heres a few questions ive got:

1. Armourers, are they involved in Combat? Do you get attached to Infantry Regiments? What roles do they have? Do they have a Combat role?

2. Engineers, what trades of Engineers are involved in Combat? What qualifications can i gain?

3. If i gained A Level qualifications whilst in the Army, could i apply to become an Officer whilst enlisted?

4. What other trades have Combat roles and are attached to Infantry?

Sorry if any of the questions seem stupid but id rather ask on here anonymously than at the AFCO.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. that depends on you mate, have you thought about what it is you want to do as a trade, if it is the engineering side then have a good look into the trades the RE offers. Or there is the REME the name gives away what they do, ROYAL ELECTRICAL MECHANICAL ENGINEERS, fantastic regiment. the list of trades is endless, good luck with what you decide to do.

3. I'm going in the REME too, VM, i went there on a familiarization visit, and the environment and the officers, and everyone there, is such a wonderful place to be in...i am a lil biased when it comes to REME...

4. The REME is a Corps and has battalions; it is not a regiment! If you gained A-Levels whilst in the Army you could apply but you don't neccessarily need them. If you apply for a commission from within the ranks there are set procedures etc but I don't know the ins and outs of it. Unless you go geo or sigs you will be involved in combat engineering.

5. Come to the infantry mon brave. Best job in the army BAR NONE! You wont regret it and you will have skills, experience and friends for life.

6. thanks for the reply,

sorry if this seems a wah (not that knowledgable on the armys structure etc) but does that mean i would be posted to a regiment or would i just train as normal with other people of the same trade?

7. You will be posted to a regiment (could be any). There should be at least one other armourer there and you will get on and do your job inspecting, maintaining and fixing weapons.

8. i take it that i would also be posted to a reg if i joined the engineers?

9. Well, you might if you joined as an Armourer.
    Surely Armourers can be posted to REME Battalions also?

10. Yes they can, but the majority go to other Regiments.

11. Fair enough, glad I got my head round that one.