Tractors?

Not sure where else to ask this and knowing there are a few other country bumkins about the place I'll give it a go............
Being fed up with the local village idiot promising and not turning up to top my fields and cut my hedges as he is "too busy" but not to busy to park up outside The Cock all afternoon I thought I would venture into the realms of buying a tractor and going down the diy route I mean how hard can it be?
Anyhoo as much as I love the idea of chugging around my seven acres doing "farming stuff" - is the idea of owning a Little Grey Fergie really a dream or is a more modern tractor better suited to attaching paddock toppers, hedge flails, link boxes etc etc

I learn't to drive on a Massy F in 1975, basic tractor then, ideal for towing a light trailer, and general basic farm work in the 70's.

Now more suited as a toy to display at farm shows etc.

The proper farm work at the time was carried out on a John Deere which had all the attachments etc, easier to drive and operate.

The Farmer I worked for, will only use John Deere's for proper farm work now.

Plenty of pre owned tractors for sale in the farming magazines and Truck & Trailer etc.

If your local 'tractor boy' is not willing to do your jobs then ask at other farm's, the pubs the farmer's use, farm supplies etc. You will find somebody willing and needs the brass.

Buying a tractor is not cheap, then there are all the attachment and equipment you need for the jobs plus maintenance, running costs storage etc etc.

Tractor and equipment theft is on the raise. ,

ottar

LE
For your needs, a cheap old tractor will be fine, same for a topper. Problem is the hedge flail: used ones are usually f***ed, new ones are rather expensive. Cheap end of the market is £10k + VAT just for the power arm, without a flail head.

If you've got seven acres of grass, why not take hay from it? Local farmer or contractor will pay you for it instead of you paying for someone to top it.

CC_TA

LE
Not sure where else to ask this and knowing there are a few other country bumkins about the place I'll give it a go............
Being fed up with the local village idiot promising and not turning up to top my fields and cut my hedges as he is "too busy" but not to busy to park up outside The Cock all afternoon I thought I would venture into the realms of buying a tractor and going down the diy route I mean how hard can it be?
Anyhoo as much as I love the idea of chugging around my seven acres doing "farming stuff" - is the idea of owning a Little Grey Fergie really a dream or is a more modern tractor better suited to attaching paddock toppers, hedge flails, link boxes etc etc

Initial trimming/cutting and topping? If so - Get in touch with a tree surgeon or local groundsman - What neck of the woods you in?

Once it's been 'contoured' by a 'pro' then think about ******* about with it yourself. Many hours of fun to be had wanging about on a tractor. Used to use the ones at the local cricket club stated about 8 or so years old - once used to the kit it's a fcuking good giggle - but let some pro put it into reasonable nick first.

As myself - why not consider an ATV / Quad, I bought a second hand one two years ago and with a towed self drive flail it is the 'real deal', also with a trailer etc it has surpassed itself in usefulness. You very quickly get to the stage whereby you wonder how you managed without one - acreage = 14 managed along with 10 acres of woodland.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As cool as little grey fergies are, a decent 4x4 quad will probably do most things better, unless you're actually planning to plough fields.

We run a fergie which is used purely for scooping up cow shit, a couple of modern Valtras which are awesome but probably a bit overkill for your needs and a collection of various Japanese quads.

The quads get used for everything from towing trailers full of logs, to feed spreading. We've even got a lawn mower thing which you can tow behind them.

For seven acres a te20 or x35 fergie is ideal you, you will sustain serious brain injuries with a quad (see Ric mayall, Ozzie Osbourne, Ravers etc). Same price as a quad and up to sixty years old though harder to nick than a quad and parts cheap as chips, can be fixed with a hammer as well. However a topper has to be slower speed from the pto as the fergie can run out of puff. We get contractors to to most of our stuff once you get in with one you become part of his "round". I have a 5000 series ford which knocks spots off a similar age fergie but when the lottery comes up I'm a gettin a Lamborghini. Jebus they are slick and fast. Very eytye. I also want the key ring!

Grey fergie is the man for help on tractors BTW.

For seven acres a te20 or x35 fergie is ideal you, you will sustain serious brain injuries with a quad (see Ric mayall, Ozzie Osbourne, Ravers etc). Same price as a quad and up to sixty years old though harder to nick than a quad and parts cheap as chips, can be fixed with a hammer as well. However a topper has to be slower speed from the pto as the fergie can run out of puff. We get contractors to to most of our stuff once you get in with one you become part of his "round". I have a 5000 series ford which knocks spots off a similar age fergie but when the lottery comes up I'm a gettin a Lamborghini. Jebus they are slick and fast. Very eytye. I also want the key ring!

Grey fergie is the man for help on tractors BTW.

Brain injuries only ensue if you do not wear a helmet and ride one like an eejit. Useful tools and where woodland is concerned (12 acres) more practical. I have an old (very old) Nuffield 10/60 which has its uses but the quad is far more versatile - just treat them with respect they are a working vehicle not a toy. But as a tractor owner and countryman I expect you know this!

Here you go, lad. Plenty of life left yet in this 1956.

1956 John Deere 70.jpg

Brain injuries only ensue if you do not wear a helmet and ride one like an eejit. Useful tools and where woodland is concerned (12 acres) more practical. I have an old (very old) Nuffield 10/60 which has its uses but the quad is far more versatile - just treat them with respect they are a working vehicle not a toy. But as a tractor owner and countryman I expect you know this!

I use a Landie 2a for all the stuff my neighbour uses the quad for. Eminently safer and far more practical. I don't like quads because they are not stable (I did a safety driving course on them). No vehicle is a toy but if things are going to go awry I want metal round me and Landies are rather good at surviving karma's foibles.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't actually know of anyone who's crashed a quad without being a monumental bell end on it.

Our place has a lot of gates separating fields, I don't want to be getting out of a car every five minutes to open a gate. Jumping off the bike takes seconds.

More importantly, jumping back on it when the cattle turn nasty is **** loads quicker than getting into a car or tractor.

Get yourself a Honda Fourtrax with a towbar, you'll never look back.

Careful now.I feel the Emperors presence....;)

Perhaps this is more you @ http://www.kubota.co.uk/product-range/tractors/16-31-hp-tractors
Or buy a second hand one from them for a few £k less.

I learnt on a Massey years ago.
Avoid John Deere as parts expensive.
With a Massey you can basically use anything that fits on it.

If your going to use Power Take Off(PTO) or 3 Point Linkage then see if your local Aricultural College(college of the countryside these days) runs basic NPTC/LANTRA courses, normally 1 or 2 days and will give you a good insight in to what you can use & safely.

If you want more info or what college to go for PM me as still keep my hand in Agriculture but these days on a smaller scale than in the past and would happily guide you through the buying process and training.

I use a Landie 2a for all the stuff my neighbour uses the quad for. Eminently safer and far more practical. I don't like quads because they are not stable (I did a safety driving course on them). No vehicle is a toy but if things are going to go awry I want metal round me and Landies are rather good at surviving karma's foibles.

I have a landie also, not so much a working vehicle now as an older man's need!

Latest Threads