Track and Trace, Test and Protect. Civic responsibility v a moron’s charter

How long before some 2@t thinks it funny or otherwise, to start sending spoof texts/e-mails?

Anyone caught doing it should get instant "life means life" jail time.
There are already fake posters going up round my way, "warning, covid 19 found in this area, call this number for decontamination deep cleaning".

At first glance it looks like an official sort of sign but lacks the government PC nonsense and praise for the NHS which gives away it's origin...a cleaning company or more accurately, a couple of poles trying to capitalise on peoples unwarranted fear of a virus that is not deadly to the under 65's.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
On the assumption that no vaccine is delivered in the next couple of weeks, we are coming out of lockdown one way or another.
People just need to get a grip, follow the advice that's already been given and accept the fact if you are not a member of the shielded group you're going to get infected.
Hopefully with common sense the infection/recovery rates will fall within limits that the NHS can deal with between recording TikTok videos.
No democratic government can control the population to the extent that would be required to fully control this virus, it's pathetic to think otherwise and wail about lack of government action of Facebook.
All I would add to that after my bold is 'or already have been infected with little or no symptoms'.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There are already fake posters going up round my way, "warning, covid 19 found in this area, call this number for decontamination deep cleaning".

At first glance it looks like an official sort of sign but lacks the government PC nonsense and praise for the NHS which gives away it's origin...a cleaning company or more accurately, a couple of poles trying to capitalise on peoples unwarranted fear of a virus that is not deadly to the under 65's.
There are a lot of under 65s who thought that and are now dead or have suffered life changing injury. Some, like BoJo have got away with being seriously ill and making a reasonable recovery.

There are a lot of under 65s who thought that and are now dead or have suffered life changing injury. Some, like BoJo have got away with being seriously ill and making a reasonable recovery.
I live in an area with a high elderly population, add in tourists still visiting in lock down, and we're the area in Wales with the highest rise in cases and will soon will overtake Cardiff for cases

Nornironman

Old-Salt
Putting aside the aside the Cummings nonsense (anyone who says that would not have complied anyway) you raise valid points. What do you suggest as alternatives? The only viable alternative I can see is to continue lockdown indefinitely or give people some advice on limiting their social contacts and let them get on with it.

Sensible people will comply with track and trace. Morons will exercise their right to be morons. There will be a spike in infections in those communities that struggle with sensible behaviour. Guardian readers will wring their hands over why the virus disproportionally affects those parts of society.
1. Draconian legislation
2. Extend lockdown
3. Live with it.

I'd go for option 3 and advise.

The vast and overwhelming majority of which had underlying conditions or died "with" the virus, not "of" the virus.

People who have died in RTA's have been added to the covid death toll.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The vast and overwhelming majority of which had underlying conditions or died "with" the virus, not "of" the virus.

People who have died in RTA's have been added to the covid death toll.
You’re right that that is the overwhelming majority but there are a significant number of otherwise healthy people who die or suffer life changing injury as a result of COVID 19. Under 65 with little or no symptoms may also be significant vectors for the spread of the infection.

Those people who don’t want to behave responsibly won’t. Some of them may look for excuses for their behaviour but it basically comes down to being Jack.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
IN Berlin they have managed tracking by mobile phone calls, landline and fax machines and many dedicated staff, the data is so good it is being used for guidance in research work

Arkanstigger

War Hero
Don't Australia have an app that works? If they do, why not just buy it, instead of paying some idiots over here to reinvent the wheel and by the sound of it fail to produce something that works well enough?

And it's Test and Trace now. They quietly dropped the Track bit in the last week or two with no explanation as far as I'm aware. Further displaying how hopeless the government is in getting a grip of the virus.
Why on earth would the Government buy a working, secure app when a nice little contract can be awarded to a mate/party donor who can make a few more quid selling on the information for marketing purposes?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Why on earth would the Government buy a working, secure app when a nice little contract can be awarded to a mate/party donor who can make a few more quid selling on the information for marketing purposes?
Frankly i'd rather use a Gov't app than let Google anywhere near my 'randomised data', Apple & Amazon harvest the same stuff but at least have the decency to hoard it for their own material gains rather than sell it on...

I use a cheap old Nokia phone
drops in my pocket and always handy 10 days on a charge
it makes phone calls end of !!
I do have a smart phone but as it is a big clumsy lump and easily broken I never carry it with me
Morning @Joshu Slocum,
Just posted same photo'., on another thread.
20200528_144711.jpg

I get 5-7 days easily. More if used less and original battery.
Nokia is for winners!:)

I'm in and out of upto 6 hospitals a day. How will this work for people like me.

I'm being exposed to people constantly in a hospital environment, if this app does what it says then no one in the NHS or logistics going into hospitals will be able to work.

My Brother thinks I am a Luddite, on a recent motorcycle tour his machine was equipped with a plethora of high tech stuff, chirping and bleeping and telling him where he was

my low tech Italian gas pipe special was equipped with a nokia phone in the tank bag ( turned off) and a map, and some pre cut cards
I got myself all the way to Basel no problemo, wrote down a few road names and towns and followed the excellent signs

next day he navigated
we ended up leaving the motorway to avoid slow moving traffic and took a bloody detour around Switzerland
lost 3 hours
all because Google said he should
then when we finally arrive at our destination very late very hot and very tired, he could not find it, it was next to the redbeards castle, which would be the bloody great castle thing with the signs pointing to it then ?
when I got home I downloaded the tracking data from my bikes security device
I am going to print that little detour off just for him and post it here.
plus the other one on the way home
so you can see why I distrust technology
Generally when travelling, if the signs point towards a major town or city, then follow them, especially if its been there since Roman Times
Morning @Joshua Slocum,
My bold.

...As bonkers as it seems I know people who have said they would not be prepared to down load an app that tracks their movements and traces their contacts. I’ve even seen people saying so on social media. The irony was lost on them.

I suppose if a significant number won’t engage there’s little point in doing it.
I was about to join some tracing "experiment", Cambridge Uni IIRC.
Quite happy until it got to the bit about sharing my medical details with all and sundry in the future. Without the need to inform me.

Don't mind if they track me, but baulked at the prospect of allowing basically anyone to have access to my medical history. No reason, just I don't want them to.

I've seen this posted on many people's pages -
"To all my FB friends who intend to install the COVID-19 app for tracking: From what I've heard about this, if you are installing this app, I am asking you to please delete me from your phone contact list, as well as unfriending me in Facebook before installing this app on your smartphone.
This app will ask permission to access all of your contacts.
You do not have my consent to use my phone number or facebook contact in connection with your app to identify, track, or locate me without my knowledge or consent.
I'm very serious about this. Thanks for understanding
This is the Government wanting everyone’s details.
Dont Fall for their App"

These would be the same people that splash their lives all over FB/Instagram/Whatsapp, probably have Smart phones (which track your location anyway), probably use Sainsburys/Tescos/Waitrose/M&S loyalty cards (which track what products you buy and where), probably have a couple of credit cards (tracking online and actual shopping), use online shopping (meaning that the email address you use will have adverts tailor made based on online viewing) and yet they worry about an app that could help save lives because the Govt might get hold of a few details (They already have your name, address, DOB, NI number, Tax details).
Morning @Joker62,
As a proud(but un-educated in the ways of the smart phone), owner of a 'Nokia' 3311. Would doing the FB quote bit work as an 'easy' exit reason/excuse to cull unwanted social media contacts. Then just delete them and start from scratch if wanted? Gen'., question.

I use a cheap old Nokia phone
drops in my pocket and always handy 10 days on a charge
it makes phone calls end of !!
14-15 year old motorola fliptop for me. No camera and no internet. People think I am joking when I say I can't pop them a pic on the phone.

About 3-4 months on a charge as keep the bloody thing turned off unless I need to make a call or am expecting a specific call. I love being uncontactable when out and about. Feels a bloody luxury these days.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm in and out of upto 6 hospitals a day. How will this work for people like me.

I'm being exposed to people constantly in a hospital environment, if this app does what it says then no one in the NHS or logistics going into hospitals will be able to work.
I assume you are maintaining social distancing and or using appropriate PPE. As it’s voluntary you will be able to make a sensible choice.

There are always exceptions to any rule. No system will always be appropriate for everyone in all circumstances.

The point is we need a system that works for most people most of the time.

I suspect we’ll see a spike in the moron parts of society. Maybe at that point when they start dropping like flies again they’ll decide to behave like civilised people.

IN Berlin they have managed tracking by mobile phone calls, landline and fax machines and many dedicated staff, the data is so good it is being used for guidance in research work
Is that East Berlin perchance?

Latest Threads