Tracing relatives

scruff_2

Old-Salt
Total long shot here. How do I go about tracing my great, great grandfather who died during WW1. Unfortunately do not know what Regiment he was with or what battle he died in. Only have his name, Charles G Crisp.

There is a name search facility on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website. Also records at the national Archive are sorted alphabetically, though a large number of records were lost in WW2 courtesy of the Luftwaffe. If he had medals issued I believe you can get the medal card on line via the National Archive website. That should give you his service number and regiment at which point the regimental museum or association may be able to give you more information. Good hunting.

If he was killed in the Great War he's probably one of these three;-
1) Pte, E Yorks, kia 24.4.17. Arras memorial
2) Pte, Glosters, kia 6.4.17. Thiepval memorial.
3) LCpl, Queen's, kia 22.9.17. Tyne Cot.

Know anything else about him?

30850_A000389-01776.jpg
Not saying this is him, but a start

B

bokkatankie

More info on the ones listed by GM above, with place of birth

Charles Crisp
Birth Place: Darnall, Yorks
Residence:Sheffield
Death Date:24 Apr 1917
Death Place:France and Flanders
Enlistment Place:Beverley
Regiment:East Yorkshire Regiment
Battalion:7th Battalion
Regimental Number:9012
Type of Casualty:Killed in action
Theatre of War:Western European Theatre

Name:Charles Crisp
Birth Place:Staines, Middx.
Residence:Staines, Middx.
Death Date:22 Sep 1917
Enlistment Place:Guildford, Surrey
Regiment:Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment
Battalion:10th Battalion
Regimental Number:G/7683

Name:Charles Crisp
Birth Place:Hampton, Fakenham, Norfolk
Death Date:6 Apr 1917
Enlistment Place:Fakenham
Regiment:Gloucestershire Regiment
Battalion:2 6th Battalion (Territorials)
Regimental Number:267182

Last edited by a moderator:
If he had medals issued I believe you can get the medal card on line via the National Archive website. That should give you his service number and regiment

You can (or online via Ancestry) but as there are usually multiple men with the same name (this brings home to you just how many people served in WW1!) you usually need to know the Regimental number or at the very least which Regiment before the MIC is of help. I've looked for a lot of these men as part of a centenary project and finding a name unusual enough to have just the one medal index card is very unusual, especially as many have the first initial not the full first name.

OP - I don't suppose anyone in the family has his medals or any photos of him in uniform?

scruff_2

Old-Salt
Thanks for all the advice. Will have to try and find out some more details. Spoke with my old girl last night and the only info she had was his name and that he died during WW1. We do know he was a Londoner (Walthemstoiw) but that is about it really. Will have a trawl through some of the site mentioned above.

Why don't you try getting some information on him from civilian records like birth and marriage certificates and census forms. You never know they might hold a clue. Also the birth certificates of his children. If one was born while he was in the army his regiment might get a mention.

Bear in mind this may be totally unrelated (the biggest error people make in genealogy is to grab at the first option...) but there is a Charles George Crisp aged 15 in the 1911 census in Walthamstow. He's employed as a "boy messenger" and his parents are Thomas and Elzabeth - Thomas is a house painter. He has siblings Olive (16) Madeline (14) and Leonard (12). The family's address is 8 Apsley Rd. High St, Walthamstow. Charles's birth place is given as West Hackney and there's a matching birth registration in the first quarter of 1896 in Hackney. They are in the same house in 1901 and Charles' birth place is now given as Clipston.

Any of that ring any bells with anyone in the family? This Charles Crisp could of course be the RFA Driver whose medal card is above and who seems not to have died so is not your man!

Was he in the Army or could he have been RN or RM or RFC? How do you KNOW his middle initial? Where does the "Walthamstow" link come from? Always more questions than answers in this kind of thing!

scruff_2

Old-Salt
Do not know what service he was in. My mother did say his da was Tom Crisp so Scaryspice it looks like the info you have found is him. The Walthemstow link comes from my mother, she was born there.

Local newspapers can be good sources too. It's a long shot but they frequently mentioned when local lads died

Do not know what service he was in. My mother did say his da was Tom Crisp so Scaryspice it looks like the info you have found is him. The Walthemstow link comes from my mother, she was born there.

Maybe but he seems rather young in 1911 to have had family before dying in WW1! You said GG Grandfather? So he is a direct ancestor of your Mum's and must have had children of his own?

alternatively i find the best way to trace my relatives is to get a sheet of partially see through paper, place it on top of the image of your relative and gently start with the outside of the image and work your way in.

Latest Threads