Tracing relatives

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Longlenny, Dec 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Longlenny

Longlenny War Hero Book Reviewer

I am trying to find information on Corporal Harry George Bushell of 'A' Company 1st Bn. London Regiment, (Royal Fussiliers.) K i A, 16th August 1917. Family tales say he died at Passchendaele but there doesn't seem to have been much activity on that date. I think that he might have been involved in the battle of Langemark. Also this man seems to have had two army numbers, 2219 taken from the rim of his Victory medal and 200545 taken from CWGC certificate? There do not appear to be any war diarys for this reg. Over to ARRSE, any ideas and are there any battlefield tours of this area?

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Two numbers aren't unusual if a man moved betwen units he was sometimes given a new number
    They were more unit numbers than Army numbers in some cases

You could try here

:: CWGC ::

3. You might want to sign up to ancestry.co.uk

..............that, or National Archives. As you seem to have some info on him, you'll be able to trace his Medal Index Card - known as an MIC - and find out a bit more on the chap. If you do, make sure you view both the front and the back: most are on-line now.

It'll cost you a couple of quid but will be worth it. As to differing service numbers, that is not unique.

For more research have a look here The Long, Long Trail

Also, many thousands of original attestation papers from the period have recently been released, too: again these can be found on Ancestry.

4. Edited as wrong card posted

5. @ GeneralMayhem: does'nt look like it. The OP's chap was KIA in 1917.

6. Well done, that man. As I thought, the OP's chap should have a 1915 Star knocking about somewhere, too. Curious that the service number variation was within the London Regt: would have sworn that it meant a transfer at some stage. Every day a school day, I guess.

7. Longlenny

Longlenny War Hero Book Reviewer

Many thanks chaps, the collective knowledge of Arrse is as usual, fantastic.
    Lenny.

8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

9. My Great-Grandfather also had two regimental numbers - he started out in the Welch Regt and was then transferred for some reason to the RWF with a new regimental number. Maybe your relative also changed regiments at some point?

10. My Great Grandfather had 3 numbers. The first was his 4 digit service number which was issued to him in the Cambridgeshires and most soldiers had at the beginning of the war. The numbers were changed to the 6 digit number system in April 1917 when he got his second number. He then got a 3rd service number when he joined the ASC. This site is useful for service numbers Army Service Numbers 1881-1918