Tracing my Grandfathers Military Service History

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by dance_with_the_devil, Aug 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi to all fellow Arrsers,
    I'm trying to trace my Grandfathers Military Service history, and am stuck on where to go.
    He served in the North Africa Campaign, as well as in Northern France and Germany.
    Unfortunately i don't have his old Service number, to try and narrow down the trace quickly.
    Any help greatfully received. :D

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Regiment and corps perhaps?

3. If he has a common name, you are in difficulty, because there will be millions of them.

If he has an unusual name, then you can try asking the MOD, via the Veterans' website for his records - and the search might be successful. You have to pay and it takes time.

Litotes

4. Christian name, Surname, Regiment.

I doubt you have his army number, but if he was a Jock google the Scottish War Memorial at Edinburgh Castle. good luck.

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Start here

6. That was an advantage when I did some searching a few years ago.

7. Cheers Sparky & fellow Arssers,
    On the right track, and i know it will take some time. :D
    DWTD

8. North Africa, then Northern France, then Germany? This narrows it a lot. One formation that followed that pattern was the old 7th Armoured Division, and not many others did. Any idea of Regiment/support Corps?

9. You will not be able to get a copy of his service record unless you can prove your are next in line as Next of Kin. Glasgow is very sniffy about the Data Protection Act. If you can prove you're the right bit of family expect to fork out at least £40.

I'm in the research stuff and this causes a lot of problems since records of soldiers are sometimes needed to clear up Rolls of Honour where some men may have been missed.