Tracing family of Gnr HJ Latimer WWI

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Gunner1, Jul 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been asked to help trace any surviving familiy members of Gnr HJ Latimer (We have part of his service number.) He was one of the 880,000 men who served in the Royal Regiment of Artillery during the First World War. We've tried the National Archive and I have been in contact with Firepower, the RA Musuem, but in the meantime I wondered if anybody on ARRSE may be able to help me?
    Thank you

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I can only see one H (Harry) J. Latimer in the Artillery in WW1.
    Was Harry the first name of yours?
    What is the part number you have?

3. I'm sure you will get some help, but its not a simple exercise, IF his service record survives it should contain details of his NOK, or at least home address.
    The 1911 Census should then allow you to establish the family relationships, from then on it becomes a "how long is a bit of string" exercise depending upon number of family members etc.
    It is possible to trace marriage, births and deaths of individuals right through to modern times, the problem is that if he was a member of a large family then you would have to follow each relationship to see what happened, it might lead to a dead end or may show that there are lots of surviving relations.
    I can provide a bit of help, but as I said it could be a long complex exercise.
    As I said there are members on here who can help, to get started they will need as much detail as you know about the man.
    Army Number
    Date/place of birth
    Full Name
    I appreciate that you wont have all of this but as much as possible will help.

Best of luck

4. Wow! That was quick chaps - thank you. The only other info I have is part of his service number, which is 2748.

5. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Here's his medal Card:

Attached Files:

6. Hi all, I'm the reporter who's trying to trace his family. The medal was posted to our newspaper in Barrow-in-Furness so I can only assume it was located somewhere in South Cumbria. As I don't have a subscription to Ancestry et all, it's proving difficult! Anyone who can help in any way can email me amy.fenton@cnmedia.co.uk

7. This looks like him, he did not serve, it would appear over seas, you have his full service number:

Attached Files:

8. Wow, you guys are amazng! Thank you

9. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Amy, 80% of WW1 records were destroyed in the blitz, it looks as if Gnr Latimer's records was one of those destroyed.
    looking at the 1911 census, the only Harry J Latimer I can see was born in 1891 in Leeds & living there at that time.

10. Hi oldbaldy... thanks for that, I might get in touch with a paper in Leeds to see if they want to join forces so to speak! What a shame his records appear to have been destroyed, but I'm determined to reunite this medal with his family.

11. One other quick question: you say he doesn't appear to have served overseas, so why was he given a medal? Sorry for my ignorance! Have posted a pic of the medal below. medalfull.jpg

12. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

If it is the correct guy, in 1911 he's living at 12 Gledhow Terrace Leeds, where he & his widowed mother are staying with a family named James. Harry is a tailors fitter.

13. Aged 12 as a boarder?

Henry (Harry) seems to fit, odd thing is that there are no others that would match age for being in but not going overseas unless, of course he was much older, called up?

14. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Bokka see my posts, I've also seen the Henry but Harry seems more probable. My own father was called Harry, it was quite common in the past.

15. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

The medals he has are British War Medal & the Victory Medal. If he served overseas he would have been awarded a star for the theatre. Have a look here for more info on medals:
    British Campaign Medals of the First World War (WW1)