Tracing family back

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by angular, Apr 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have traced my family tree back to c.1810, but got a little stumped. My lot were all cotton mill workers, but I live in hope of finding a military connections.

Has anyone been able to find members of their family who served at Waterloo/the Peninsula, or at Trafalgar? How did you estqablish a definite link? There are people with the right names for my family at Trafalgar, but I'm finding it really hard to find out any more than place and date of birth, once I get that far back.
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

3. I managed to get my family back to 1426, and have enough military people to form my own army
  4. I have a similar problem as there isn't enough information available from the 18th century. I think you may be out of luck unless you have an unusual name or your ancestors pursued a profession (legal, medical etc). Have you tried asking the question on the alt.soc.genealogy.britain board?

5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Once you get back beyond July 1837 when BDM records were centralised, you have to resort to local (e.g. Parish) records. If you are lucky, your County or Town Hall will have an Archives Office where all Parish records have been copied to microfilm.

Look forward to a morning or an afternoon session sat in a windowless room peering into a film / fiche reader going boss-eyed, surrounded by doddery old gets ("Like you." Ed) with no life.