Tracing ancestors, a users guide

This is a bit of a broad enquiry - maybe some steers from plod/DCs (@ACAB @Boumer et al).
How do you narrow down a known name (with DOB) and a rough idea of the city they live in? From what I know, local library's hold only local electoral rolls - but I can't visit every potential Ward/Borough.

Here's a stupid thing... power of t'internet, found my half sister, last address and even place of employment - with photo! Sent a letter with intro and some indication of relationship but no response. Evidently mi biological father is not far away but knocking on at 93.
Managed to find my mother - again, photos of her, family, address and phone no., in the US so that's been a laugh bless her - phoning me up usually after I've hit the sack.
If it's not one thing it's yer mother!

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
This is a bit of a broad enquiry - maybe some steers from plod/DCs (@ACAB @Boumer et al).
How do you narrow down a known name (with DOB) and a rough idea of the city they live in? From what I know, local library's hold only local electoral rolls - but I can't visit every potential Ward/Borough.

PM the details to me if you like, I can do a quick search on Ancestry and send you the results - might narrow down the list if nothing else!

Is this a UK based enquiry?

Good starter I always use.

Is this a UK based enquiry?

Good starter I always use.

UK (Manchester)

- I contacted the relevant area re. access to Electoral Rolls which will be available within the next couple of weeks due to lockdown.
As I'm not too far away it may cost a similar amount to 192.com (I'm assuming 1 credit = 1 search entry).

Many thanks

Latest Threads