Tracing ancestors, a users guide

A difficult one, chap.

The surnames 'Devlin' and 'Davis' (or 'Davies'?) are difficult to research, especially as there is no hint of a DoB.

A cursory search shows that, for the 1891 Scotland Census, the Reilly family seem to have been the primary occupants of 13 Deanside Lane.

Likewise there are no hits for 'Devlin' or 'Davis' at Deanside Lane for the 1891 Census.

Likewise no hits for a male child named 'Morrison' or 'Devlin' born on that date for Glasgow.

Soz.

Guys,
Anyone help my G/grandad x2 (Thomas Doyle) who knocked up my greatgranx2 then done one struggling to find any data on him, Ancestry giving two hints but can't be sure if it's him.
GRO to see if he can be identified via birth certificate. Alternatively Church records in the area might throw something up. 1892 isn’t too difficult as it’s within the range of BDM. Also local council may have some archival stuff .

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Guys,
Anyone help my G/grandad x2 (Thomas Doyle) who knocked up my greatgranx2 then done one struggling to find any data on him, Ancestry giving two hints but can't be sure if it's him.

So far, only found this

Although I'm guessing this is what you already have

Last edited:

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Nothing there?
Bugger, wasn't sure if that link would work - I'm logged in to Ancestry and can see a public family tree with Susan McAllister on, and "spouse" listed as Thomas Doyle, althugh there's not much else to go on...

https: //www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/168799346/person/322195452288/facts?_phsrc=NEj28&_phstart=successSource

Birth of their son is an exact date match, too.
Not sure if the owner of the tree is you or not, so won't publish name here!

Bugger, wasn't sure if that link would work - I'm logged in to Ancestry and can see a public family tree with Susan McAllister on, and "spouse" listed as Thomas Doyle, althugh there's not much else to go on...

https: //www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/168799346/person/322195452288/facts?_phsrc=NEj28&_phstart=successSource

Birth of their son is an exact date match, too.
Not sure if the owner of the tree is you or not, so won't publish name here!
Guess you've found my family tree then ;)

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Guess you've found my family tree then ;)
Ahh....oh well! I did have a bit of a hunt around, but not tried the Scottish site yet. It wasn't unheard of for blokes buggering off to just go by another name and stay "off-grid" it was so much easier to do back then. He could have moved away to a completely different area, changed names, married someone else, commited crimes....hard to tell!

Scotlands People - Census 1881,1891,1901
At a guess, the 1st & 3rd records are the same person. The second is obviously a no.
4th also a potential match.
I don't have any credit on the site to open these records, so can't go further.
SurnameForenameYearGenderAge at CensusRefRD NameCounty/ City
DOYLETHOMAS1881M29644/4 1/ 3CaltonLanark
DOYLETHOMAS1891M1644/4 2/ 11CaltonLanark
DOYLETHOMAS1901M49644/4 24/ 7CaltonLanark
DOYLETHOMAS1901M28644/4 58/ 10CaltonLanark

Cheers with it being a common Irish name pretty much stuck on it was hoping vacation records would throw something up but can't find the 1891/1892 records on Scotlands people.

Ancestry did throw up two hints for a Thomas Doyle around similar age but he was Govan and had clearly being staying with the same family as a lodger for years so can rule him out.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Cheers with it being a common Irish name pretty much stuck on it was hoping vacation records would throw something up but can't find the 1891/1892 records on Scotlands people.

Ancestry did throw up two hints for a Thomas Doyle around similar age but he was Govan and had clearly being staying with the same family as a lodger for years so can rule him out.
Click on that link in my previous post, it takes you to the census search results on Scots People :) I just don't want to pay to view them! The 1881/1901 result is likely to be him....he probably didn't get counted on the 1891 records if he was up to no good....I reckon it's the 4th record - his age would have been around the same as Susans

Hmmm, Not sure the document doesn't show the address where they are staying does say stone mason's labourer previously on the legal doc said he was a holeborer, Does birth location say England,

Looking at the same census report on ancestry can't find it on there,

1633633094013.png

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Hmmm, Not sure the document doesn't show the address where they are staying does say stone mason's labourer previously on the legal doc said he was a holeborer, Does birth location say England,

Looking at the same census report on ancestry can't find it on there,
Looks like there's a chunk of that doc missing, the address details are usually at the top. Could have been born in Ireland maybe? It's interesting that the Sheriffs report is from 1892 and there's no obvious record of him in 1891. The address could have been a lie? Tough one.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
@brettarider just watched an episode on BBC iPlayer of Who Do You Think You Are, and ep 13:7 Greg Davies - exact same situation. Clue might come up in criminal records - it looks like if the father failed to pay up on the child support they WERE tracked down, and in some cases imprisoned!

Cheers will have a look totally stumped with this one keep checking new DNA matches to see but nothing yet despite having 400 4th cousins or closer.
@brettarider just watched an episode on BBC iPlayer of Who Do You Think You Are, and ep 13:7 Greg Davies - exact same situation. Clue might come up in criminal records - it looks like if the father failed to pay up on the child support they WERE tracked down, and in some cases imprisoned!

WRT Irish records, the answer is 'some'. If I need to dig a wee bit, then this site The National Archives of Ireland is quite good, though they are continually adding to it.

One big issue with the Irish records is that all the 1921 and 1931 Census records were lost in a fire. This leaves a thirty year data gap at a time of relatively high infant (and other) mortality,

My mothers siblings were born mostly in the 1920s and 30s and this has been problematic for my daughter's ancestry search. My grandmother had 13 children and only seven survived childhood.

Also the Paddys were sometimes a bit slack on the data recording front. My mothers UK passport states her DOB as 1930. The only birth certificate that contains her and her parents names and could remotely fit is dated 1922. I think she knocked a few years off her life when she came to England in the late 1940s. Tut, tut.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I wondered if there is a sort of definitive list of the folks who actually came over with William the conquer somewhere?

They weren't lost in an accidental fire they were deliberately torched during the Irish civil war. I was onna talk about tracing Irish ancestors and I was told an act like that now would be classed as a war crime.

I wondered if there is a sort of definitive list of the folks who actually came over with William the conquer somewhere?

Much comes from The Domesday Book and (for those areas not covered by the survey) The Boldon Book plus tithing records raised by the Church, many of which pre-date William the Conqueror.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
‘What makes the 1921 Census even more vital is that it will be the last census release for England and Wales for 30 years, with the 1931 Census lost in a fire and the 1941 Census never taken.

Couple of decent online webinars here (free!)

Last edited: