Tracing ancestors, a users guide

oldbaldy

LE
Yes, Glasgow is the MOD.

Thanks. He has a court martial later in his service record. But at this time he has several awol periods and he seems either to be apprehended and brought back, or comes back on his own. He forfeits pay, but doesn't seem to suffer any other consequence. Would there be relevant records of that?

For WW2 records, are the Part 2 orders (listed on a soldier's service record) still available for research?
One or two of the better organised regimental museums might have a couple but other than that I suspect that the shear volume generated and short-term relevance meant that they were junked as soon as possible.

Thanks. He has a court martial later in his service record. But at this time he has several awol periods and he seems either to be apprehended and brought back, or comes back on his own. He forfeits pay, but doesn't seem to suffer any other consequence. Would there be relevant records of that?
What records have you managed to obtain?

What details do you have on the individual? Regt/Corps, Regt number, units served in, anything else?

ugly

LE
Not wanting to scare anyone off but just a note of caution, family oral histories are often badly incorrect. My Gt Grandfathers story was that he married the nurse who helped him back to health. Perusing his service records available online from Canada he was already married when enlisting in the 24th Bn CEF and spent most of the war in hospitals being treated for various ailments. His final medical papers show his discharge from the Canadian VD Clinic near Brookwood in 1919. Now I know all sorts of hospitals were used to deal with the flu epidemic but his final note says he has received sufficient treatment to be clear of syphilis.
No one ever spoke badly of him, my grandfather his youngest son died aged 24 bailing out in 45 from a Halifax bomber. Every letter I have read from his comrades to my Nan and ones from my Nan to my Mum all seem to have him as a bit of a saint.
I dont doubt this I just wonder if Grandad was a sainted which great uncles were proper cads?

Latest Threads